Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Hang, but lose. (This year.) The Aggies are 0-4 against ranked teams this season. They were within a score of Alabama, Auburn, and Missouri, but lost to LSU by 24. Their best win is probably 41-38 at Ole Miss. Every SEC opponent scored at least 24 against them.

Final scores listed by opponent first. Texas A&M losses bolded.

UTEP 7-57
    SMU 13-42
    Vanderbilt 24-56
    Sam Houston 28-65
    Missouri 28-21
    Rice 31-52
    Arkansas 33-45
    LSU 34-10
    Ole Miss 38-41
    Miss St 41-51
    Auburn 45-41
    Alabama 49-42
    Right. That's why I chose the word carefully.

Let's put it this way - I don't think Duke would put 28 up on Mizzou, 41 on Auburn or 42 on Alabama, especially after how the FSU game went.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    For general knowledge, not selling alcohol at games isn't an NCAA policy. I've been to on-campus sporting events at multiple schools here in CO that have full bars. I believe the restriction is institutional to Duke or the ACC.
    FWIW, there was no beer sold at the Duke-FSU game.

The NCAA has a no-alcohol policy at its championship events.

The NCAA has for years banned sales and advertising of all alcohol in the venues of its championships. Host venues are required to cover up any ads for alcoholic drinks.
    The NCAA does not control the regular season in any sport, nor does it run the postseason for the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision. Individual schools and conferences oversee the regular season, including game operations, broadcasting and advertising. The postseason for Division I Football Bowl Subdivision is controlled by the Bowl Championship Series and individual bowl committees.
    If the Georgia Dome wants to sell hooch, the NCAA doesn't have a say.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    FWIW, there was no beer sold at the Duke-FSU game.
    There was in the club level sections. But you had to drink it inside; it wasn't allowed outside of the 300 level lobby.

Some of the tickets on StubHub say "No Alcohol." You might pull up a similar section and see what you can get.

I'm trying to decide between sitting in the end zone and possibly getting bumped to the upper deck based on my priority, or buying via the secondary market and getting to pick my seat, but potentially being in a non-Duke section.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Right. That's why I chose the word carefully.

Let's put it this way - I don't think Duke would put 28 up on Mizzou, 41 on Auburn or 42 on Alabama, especially after how the FSU game went.
    I don't disagree, but I think it would be misleading to consider Texas A&M an SEC powerhouse this season. Their top 10 ranking turned out to be undeserved as the season played out. They are cleanly in the league's 2nd tier, behind (a healthy) LSU, ahead of Ole Miss, and square with Georgia.

This bowl game can finally show us what the Aggies can do against a ranked nonconference opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    There was in the club level sections. But you had to drink it inside; it wasn't allowed outside of the 300 level lobby.

Some of the tickets on StubHub say "No Alcohol." You might pull up a similar section and see what you can get.

I'm trying to decide between sitting in the end zone and possibly getting bumped to the upper deck based on my priority, or buying via the secondary market and getting to pick my seat, but potentially being in a non-Duke section.
    I called this morning to fix a credit card issue, and they offered me sideline in addition to endzone. Like many, I got the email saying that I had been upgraded. Until they sort out Iron Duke priority, however, the seats are still unassigned as best I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Marquis is not walking distance (really) but is nice. Still downtown. Short cab ride or MARTA ride although need to change lines.

Hilton Garden is just across Centennial Park if I am thinking of the right place.

I went to the CFA a few years ago and took MARTA to and from the stadium, it ran amazingly smoothly given how many folks they had to move around on NYE. So that is always a reasonable option too.
    Actually the Marriott Marquis is only about a 15 -20 minute easy walk and it is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    REALLY looking forward to being there. Any thoughts on where the best sources are for tix? (at reasonable prices)

Probably bringing the whole family (4). The Georgia Dome is walkable from the MARTA, so any hotel near a MARTA stop means you can leave your car keys back at the hotel!!

Atlanta is fun, and I've been there dozens of times. Our "must see" destinations with the kids while in town will be: The Coca Cola Museum (downtown), Martin Luther King Museum and Church, Carter Presidential Library, The Underground (shopping), and the Atlanta Aquarium.

I agree with everything except shopping at The Underground. You are about 20 years too late for that - avoid going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    For those who may want to consider staying in the Lenox/Buckhead area there are MARTA rail stations that can get you to the Dome by rail in less than 30 minutes - good luck to anyone who plans to drive to the game and park in lots downtown
    If you are driving to the game, you are better off going down Northside Drive which runs along the west side of the stadium and avoid going into down town. There are a lot of parking lots on Northside and you will have a 5 -10 minute walk to the stadium.
    Last edited by -jk; 12-09-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    If you are driving to the game, you are better off going down Northside Drive which runs along the west side of the stadium and avoid going into down town. There are a lot of parking lots on Northside and you will have a 5 -10 minute walk to the stadium.
    Or if coming on I-20 from the East, using the Indian Creek MARTA station on the perimeter. It is a straight shot into the Dome, no need to change lines at Five Points.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    For general knowledge, not selling alcohol at games isn't an NCAA policy. I've been to on-campus sporting events at multiple schools here in CO that have full bars. I believe the restriction is institutional to Duke or the ACC.
    Not sure who governs it, but do know it is about the college arena being on a college campus. For example, FSU basketball, I believe, has always been able to sell alcohol during their hoops games, because the arena is not on campus. That said, pretty sure alcohol is not served at the PNC arena during NC State home games. That could be a NC State rule or something though.

It may be varying rules throughout the land, not sute.

I saw Texas A&M in the Holiday Bowl a long time ago, and A&M got crushed, but I can say without hesitation that after seeing their marching band at halftime of that game, A&M is the only marching band in the country that I would bypass halftime food concession lines to watch. They are mesmerizing if you haven't seen them. Highly recommended. From a guy who does not typically appreciate that sort of thing.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I saw Texas A&M in the Holiday Bowl a long time ago, and A&M got crushed, but I can say without hesitation that after seeing their marching band at halftime of that game, A&M is the only marching band in the country that I would bypass halftime food concession lines to watch. They are mesmerizing if you haven't seen them. Highly recommended. From a guy who does not typically appreciate that sort of thing.
    Their band is legendary. Theme song from Patton. SMU band years ago disrupted the A&M band by using lots of hidden whistles. The upset was great that there were cadets running on to the filed with sabres drawn. A&M is serious about their band, their cheers, their discipline and their uniforms.

Apologize if this has already been posted - glad to see students are being encouraged to attend

According to the Duke Chronicle, the school’s student newspaper, tickets for students to the Blue Devils’ matchup with Texas A&M in the Chick-fil-A Bowl will be free thanks to alumni donations. Students can pick up tickets on campus on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The original ticket price for the game is $90.

http://college-football.si.com/2013/...-bowl-tickets/

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Apologize if this has already been posted - glad to see students are being encouraged to attend

According to the Duke Chronicle, the school’s student newspaper, tickets for students to the Blue Devils’ matchup with Texas A&M in the Chick-fil-A Bowl will be free thanks to alumni donations. Students can pick up tickets on campus on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The original ticket price for the game is $90.

http://college-football.si.com/2013/...-bowl-tickets/
    Glad to see this, we need the crazies to light up the Dome! ATL is a good place to enjoy NYE.

Things to do

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    I agree with everything except shopping at The Underground. You are about 20 years too late for that - avoid going there.
    Agreed on the underground...its just a bad shopping mall (of course, by my definition, all malls are bad, but I don't care to shop)

If you have kids, the zoo is fun...not a walk from downtown, but a 10 minute drive at most.

Traffic indeed can be bad at any time, but as it is New Years Eve, I suspect many of those working will get off early, thus less of a classic rush hour problem. As to how many revelers are heading downtown...that's a different story. Hard to predict.

Regarding MARTA...it will be jammed on New Years Eve... and perhaps a scent of alcohol in the air? I don't care to use it late at night with sparse traffic, but there will be crowds and plenty of security.

I have used MARTA for twenty years without problem. Went to the CFA a few years ago, parked at Indian Creek Station and used MARTA. Incredible-looking line leaving the station, but efficient and they got folks out in better speed than leaving a parking deck.

Meme for the game

Eat Mor Jonny.JPG

Couldn't resist once I saw PhiKap's tagline.

I have as well, although not in Colorado.

At the 2005 ACC Tournament, one of the club areas served free beer until tipoff. I guess having the tournament in DC wasn't a complete disaster.

Anyone else here anything about getting upgraded to sideline seats? Thanks.