Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Never been to Disney, and doubt I'd like it, but wouldn't mind the Orlando bowl if we don't make Miami or Atlanta.

I do like French Toast. Cinnamon is a real key. Enough might help a tire gain traction. When the kids were very little, they'd go to town shaking the cinnamon into the batter. One day, my son got a little too vigorous w/ the shaking.

Me: "Whoa, whoa, whoa."
    Him: "But you always said there's no such thing as too much cinnamon."
    Sister (w/out missing a beat): "Yeah, but there is such a thing as enough."
    Me (after a pause): "That's pretty funny. How'd you think of that?"
    Sister: "You've said that before, too."

Not sure exactly why, but somehow it's my proudest parenting moment.

Anyway, the party's raging all night in Charlotte after we win a championship, so no need for anybody to leave early and drive in a drizzle.
    Anyone remember the January, 1980 Duke-Davidson basketball game in Charlotte when it snowed? Charlotte got about 15"-18", if I remember correctly. I stayed with friends and never even tried to get to the old Coliseum on Independence. Just watched on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Is that what you do for ice storms in Vermont?
    The best way to deal with an ice storm is to hunker down and not get on the road, period. Up here we do have a lot more
    winter equipment (state and local highway trucks) to deal with things, but if there's pervasive ice/freezing rain, just don't go out.
    Stay home or find a motel ASAP and wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Anyone remember the January, 1980 Duke-Davidson basketball game in Charlotte when it snowed? Charlotte got about 15"-18", if I remember correctly. I stayed with friends and never even tried to get to the old Coliseum on Independence. Just watched on TV.
    Duke didn't play Davidson in 1980.

Duke did play Davidson at Charlotte on 1-2-79. I don't remember that one. But I do remember a game against Louisville the following month where it snowed in copious amounts and the Charlotte Coliseum was quite empty.

I'm not especially worried about this system. If it gets bad, I've used the southern route from Charlotte to Raleigh in the past, with no problems.

As an aside, I really appreciate the gibes from people who don't have enough sense to get out of Vermont.

As an aside 2, the Duke fan base filled the Belk Bowl last year on a night when the wind chill had to have been in the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke didn't play Davidson in 1980.

Duke did play Davidson at Charlotte on 1-2-79. I don't remember that one. But I do remember a game against Louisville the following month where it snowed in copious amounts and the Charlotte Coliseum was quite empty.

I'm not especially worried about this system. If it gets bad, I've used the southern route from Charlotte to Raleigh in the past, with no problems.

As an aside, I really appreciate the gibes from people who don't have enough sense to get out of Vermont.

As an aside 2, the Duke fan base filled the Belk Bowl last year on a night when the wind chill had to have been in the 20s.
    Damn memory is going straight down hill! I do remember the snow, though.

I remember a snowy, spur of the moment trip to Greensboro in 1980 to see a thriller when Duke beat The Terps for the ACC title...The ride back to WNC in a VW Beetle was even more memorable.

Through the snow

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Actually I do . . .perhaps !!

Except I thought the REAL snow event, in Charlotte, was a game in the early 80's or so versus Louisville?

I had relatives in the Gastonia area, so we worked out a deal where one of the group stayed at home and that ticket went to a Duke fan...who just happened to own a four-wheel drive vehicle. (This was before the family of every soccer mom had one in the garage.)

Even for the NC folks who call things a crisis when 17 snowflakes fall, there was a bunch of snow on the ground. FWIW, we went the "old" way on 29/74 (Wilkinson Blvd and Independence Blvd) and IIRC that game was played in the original (domed) "Charlotte Coliseum." It might even be a Bojangles venue now?

k

(Updated since it appears the snow-game I remember was the Louisville game.)
    Last edited by Kimist; 12-07-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Clarification