Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Here's a copy of the NCAA bylaws: http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...ds/D114OCT.pdf (Note: this is a large 434-page PDF so only click if you're really interested in digging into this)

Section 12.5.2 (pg. 85 of the PDF) deals with non-permissable promotional activites. I can't see how Jabari is in violation.

I think the key is he did not receive remuneration from Skull Candy AND this promotional activity (if it indeed counts as a promotional activity) occurred in high school, before enrollment at Duke.
    Looks like you nailed it.

“Generally speaking, a high school student may promote a product, provided that he is not paid for that promotion, and has not enrolled in college,” Meghan Durham, an assistant director of media relations for the NCAA, wrote in an email Friday. “These ads should be pulled once the student enrolls in college.”

The blog post is still up nearly a year after it was originally posted, and it made the rounds on social media Friday.

It raises a question because NCAA rule 12.5.2.1 forbids athletes from using “his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind.”

Duke is aware of the video clip, said Matt Plizga, the school’s associate sports information director.

“All athletes have to be cleared by the NCAA, and they were aware of this at the time it was done,” Plizga said. “If we’re told it’s a potential problem, we could certainly ask (Skullcandy) to take it down. But it hasn’t come to that.”

Seems like their whole business model is making mediocre headphones and then associating themselves with anyone famous, from Kyrie to Kate Upton. The HS basketball team "sponsorships" must be a get-'em-young strategy. They have Derrick Rose in their stable, so it must've paid off (assuming they were sponsoring Simeon when he was there as well). We'll see what Jabari does in the future, but I hope he'd choose to endorse better headphones...

Personally, I'd like to see a Mason Plumlee-Grado Labs endorsement myself...high quality cans made in Brooklyn!
    “Turning down the Lakers was tough, but it is always good to renew your vows to the loves of your life.”
    -Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post
    Seems like their whole business model is making mediocre headphones and then associating themselves with anyone famous, from Kyrie to Kate Upton. The HS basketball team "sponsorships" must be a get-'em-young strategy. They have Derrick Rose in their stable, so it must've paid off (assuming they were sponsoring Simeon when he was there as well). We'll see what Jabari does in the future, but I hope he'd choose to endorse better headphones...

Personally, I'd like to see a Mason Plumlee-Grado Labs endorsement myself...high quality cans made in Brooklyn!
    Seems like the whole industry is moving in the direction of nice looking headphones since consumers have largely accepted the poorer audio quality of mp3s, if The Economist is to be believed. Grado on the other hand hasn't advertised since 1964!

Well I'm relieved to read that it looks like this is all permissible, but I have to say from a distance that I'm not a huge fan of this trend of high school sponsorship. It seems rife with possibility for improper payments or benefits to be passed on to players, and the overall message is terrible - we're going to make money by giving you free stuff and then if one of you makes it big then people will see that we're associated with you. Relatively low cost investment for the companies (a few hundred headphones) with high potential payout.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    This is exactly what I thought of - how is this much different than what McDonald did?
    maybe my memory is failing me, but i think there was a rumor that mcdonald had a questionable car or two in addition the mouth guards. maybe he's got ncaa problems b/c of the mouth guards, but maybe its something else - i don't think its safe to assume at this point.