Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    I wish Alex the very best, and I'm sorry to see him leave Duke. He made real sacrifices to attend here. At the same time, as CDu notes, transfers happen. They happen at Duke for reasons that are usually on balance positive for the program, which is to say the player in question is not getting playing time and likely won't get much more going forward because better talent is on hand and in the pipeline. That's almost certainly the case with Murphy.

As far as Duke being hurt, there was a tremendous amount of handwringing about Michael Gbinije's transfer after the 2012 season. Silent G is now at Syracuse, and while being a useful contributor is hardly annihilating the competition. If still at Duke, there's little chance he would be playing more than his current 15 min/game, and the better chance is that he would be playing less. So Duke has not missed him, has used that scholarship for other players, and G himself is in a better situation. While transfers are unfortunate in some ways, they can be a great thing for a player without damaging his old school much at all.
    Agree with this. Players who are in a position to be major contributors on the court at Duke are very unlikely to transfer away from Duke. The only cases I can remember are EWil (who had family reasons play at least some role) and Billy McCaffrey. All the rest seem like great guys and solid players, but would not have been able to accomplish what they wanted to at Duke (Murphy, Olek, King, Gbinije). I can't really say that any of those guys transferring worked out to be the wrong move for the player or a significant blow to Duke. We have also had 2 terrific inbound transfers recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't have the article at my fingertips, but there was an article posted, I think earlier in this calendar year but it might have been last year, that showed that in recent years Duke has the lowest transfer rate in the ACC. It seems like we lose a lot of transfers, but apparently other programs have been losing more.

Yes, that is a reach.
    Key word, seems. Only seems like that because I focus on Duke more than other ACC schools. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Goduke2010 View Post
    Guys ranked outside the top 20 or so (Murphy was #36, Plumlee #62) are going to find their playing time taken by higher ranked recruits like Winslow. Not too long ago I saw an article about NBA draft position based on the player's final high school rank. There was a dropoff after high school rank of 3, another drop at rank 10, and a final drop around rank 20.
    NBA draft position and freshman year playing time are two very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I don't think it's a reach at all. Yes - all indications point to Jabari leaving, but crazier things have happened: Smart turning down a top 3 pick to return, McBob turning down a top 5 pick to return, Portland having the best record in the West...
    Just because something isn't the craziest thing that's ever happened doesn't mean it's not a reach.

I'll concede it's not outside the realm of possibility that Jabari returns (however unlikely it may be), but attempting to link Alex's departure to possible good news from Jabari by saying, "maybe Jabari said he was coming back, making the potential playing time shrink dramatically," as the OP did, is in my opinion quite a reach.

You're certainly welcome to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    We obviously can't talk about transfers, but a lot of us think about them.

Is anyone really surprised that Murphy transferred, given how he seemed to be in a similar spot as many of our other transfers: Olek, Boykins, Thompson
    What makes this a tad more surprising than the other transfers was how vocal Murph was about staying at Duke.

However, he didn't get a ton of chances to show what he could do in games and likely didn't show all that much in practices, either.

I think he'll find success at his next school, but I don't think he'll end up much better than Olek did.

If all is same in his head, I'm guessing Florida is the lucky winner of his services. (but who knows?)

http://jeffgoodman.yardbarker.com/bl...r_duke/4115398

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Not too surprising. Kid wants to play.
    He will get PT at a school that has a need for a 6'9 230 pound forward. His brother is in the NBA. Good luck Alex . Sorry it did not work out at Duke.

Two questions:

How likely is it that he can avoid losing a year of eligibility? Is there precedent?

Can he drop down to Division II and play sooner? Is that what Ryan Harrow did?

Honestly, this is sad. I was hoping for a lot from Alex. He seems like a gym rat, good guy and talented player on the verge of good stuff. I wish we got to see more of him.

I hope everything comes up roses for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Just because something isn't the craziest thing that's ever happened doesn't mean it's not a reach.

I'll concede it's not outside the realm of possibility that Jabari returns (however unlikely it may be), but attempting to link Alex's departure to possible good news from Jabari by saying, "maybe Jabari said he was coming back, making the potential playing time shrink dramatically," as the OP did, is in my opinion quite a reach.

You're certainly welcome to disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    What makes this a tad more surprising than the other transfers was how vocal Murph was about staying at Duke.

However, he didn't get a ton of chances to show what he could do in games and likely didn't show all that much in practices, either.

I think he'll find success at his next school, but I don't think he'll end up much better than Olek did.
    Alex, by all reports, is a good, solid guy. This decision was certainly discussed with the coaches and his NBA/pro basketball family. I am confident that K did not initiate the discussion, but I believe he was truthful about Alex's playing prospects this year and next.

Good luck, Alex, if rumors are true.

sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sorry to see this. By all reports he's a good kid, but bad timing in terms of developing slowly and having quality competition at his position. Best of luck to him -- he has the talent to make an impact somewhere.

The article speculates about joining his brother at FLA, but I was thinking that his dad went to BC, and they were one of his finalists, in addition to being near to his home. Would K ever allow that transfer within the ACC?

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Sorry to see this. By all reports he's a good kid, but bad timing in terms of developing slowly and having quality competition at his position. Best of luck to him -- he has the talent to make an impact somewhere.

The article speculates about joining his brother at FLA, but I was thinking that his dad went to BC, and they were one of his finalists, in addition to being near to his home. Would K ever allow that transfer within the ACC?
    I think the conference disallows internal transfers

He needs to improve a great deal if he's going to play at this level. I could see him starring at a mid-major, but I can't really see him playing significant minutes for a team like Florida. Obviously his confidence should improve with more playing time, but from what we've seen his all around game is pretty limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Except that very few of these guys develop into major contributors at their later destinations. Or if they do, it's because like Czyz they drop down from high-major-level to Nevada. (Elliott Williams made the NBA, but he did not leave Duke for lack of playing time.) How is K's short bench hurting them at their new schools, pray tell?
    My point isn't that the guy who transfers is amazing. It's that they never get off the bench to begin with. If they did become major competitors at a highly ranked program like Syracuse, then that would be an indictment of K's short bench from Duke's perspective. To your point, we don't see that by and large from those transfers, so the short bench is an indictment from the transfer's perspective.

Too Bad

Not much room for him next year, but is he that much worse than Josh this year? How much PT would have been enough to keep him on the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Goduke2010 View Post
    My point isn't that the guy who transfers is amazing. It's that they never get off the bench to begin with. If they did become major competitors at a highly ranked program like Syracuse, then that would be an indictment of K's short bench from Duke's perspective. To your point, we don't see that by and large from those transfers, so the short bench is an indictment from the transfer's perspective.
    I don't see how it's an indictment at all. It's not little league. If you aren't good enough, you don't play.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    NBA draft position and freshman year playing time are two very different things.
    Ummm, right. If you don't think those two variables are highly correlated...

there seems to be an undercurrent on this board when transfers or bench playing time are discussed. the gist of it is a fear that a very good player* is going to slip away from Duke because he gets tired of being buried on Coach K's bench. the fact that this has never happened in the 30+ years that Coach K has been at Duke does not seem to deter this fear for some reason.

* and by this i mean a player with the ability to be a major contributor at Duke on the court

Murphy always reminded me of Pocius. Very athletic, solid/good on offense (though not a strong 3 point shooter), yet doesn't fit in with whatever Coach is looking for on defense, so he gets very little playing time. That's not a knock on Coach K. Of course, Pocius is doing very well now. Hopefully, Murphy will do the same elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    there seems to be an undercurrent on this board when transfers or bench playing time are discussed. the gist of it is a fear that a very good player* is going to slip away from Duke because he gets tired of being buried on Coach K's bench. the fact that this has never happened in the 30+ years that Coach K has been at Duke does not seem to deter this fear for some reason.

* and by this i mean a player with the ability to be a major contributor at Duke on the court
    The best player we lost was Billy MacCaffrey, I believe, after the 1991 championship. He did very well his first year at Vandy, but not as well his second year, when opponents ganged up on him.

sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The best player we lost was Billy MacCaffrey, I believe, after the 1991 championship. He did very well his first year at Vandy, but not as well his second year, when opponents ganged up on him.

sage
    Yeah but McCaffrey wasn't buried on the bench--he was the third-leading player by minutes the year before he left. What freshmanjs was talking about, I believe, is the persistent fear that K loses good players because of a relatively short bench, but, as he alludes to, very few of our transfers who weren't playing here showed the ability to be large contributors on major conference teams, let alone championship contenders.