Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

David Cutcliffe wins the Walter Camp National Coach of the Year Award

Per Joe Schad on Twitter, moments ago.

Congrats (again, I feel like we're congratulating the man every day at this rate) to Coach Cut!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Per Joe Schad on Twitter, moments ago.

Congrats (again, I feel like we're congratulating the man every day at this rate) to Coach Cut!
    I love being inundated by so many great stories. Order restored in football.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Very impressive. This is not a media award, it is chosen by his peers.

The Walter Camp Coach of the Year is selected by the nation’s 125 Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches and sports information directors.
    http://www.waltercamp.org/dukes-davi...h-of-the-year/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well earned! Congratulations to Coach Cutcliffe. Once again, he's a credit to Duke University.

Congratulations, Coach! How lucky we are to have him! Let's go, Duke!

looking at the list of recent winners, that's some darn good company!

2013 – David Cutcliffe, Duke

2012 – Brian Kelly, Notre Dame

2011 – Les Miles, LSU

2010 – Chip Kelly, Oregon

2009 – Gary Patterson, TCU

2008 – Nick Saban, Alabama
    April 1

Congratulations to Coach Cutcliffe! Coach has surrounded himself with an outstanding Staff and Smart Football Players, that bought into his Vision of Duke Football!!!

Coach Cutcliffe, ACC Coach of the Year, and National Coach of the Year!!! He is so deserving of all awards!!

Duke Football ~ Order has been Restored !

I know nothing about college football so...

...is this the primary coaching award? Is this the equivalent of the Heisman for coaches?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...is this the primary coaching award? Is this the equivalent of the Heisman for coaches?
    No. There are three coaching awards. This, Maxwell, and I think the biggest one is the Bear Bryant award.

Cut is one of 3 finalists for the Maxwell, but wasn't on the watch list for the Bear Bryant as announced earlier this year (which doesn't mean he cant' be a finalist there, it happens sometimes).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    No. There are three coaching awards. This, Maxwell, and I think the biggest one is the Bear Bryant award.

Cut is one of 3 finalists for the Maxwell, but wasn't on the watch list for the Bear Bryant as announced earlier this year (which doesn't mean he cant' be a finalist there, it happens sometimes).
    Thanks. That really helps to clarify things up.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

I hate that, in the most amazing coaching job of his career, he wasn't on the list for the award named in honor of his mentor. I am hoping wisdom takes over when they make their selections.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Congrats Coach Cut! Now Let's chop them noles up.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I hate that, in the most amazing coaching job of his career, he wasn't on the list for the award named in honor of his mentor. I am hoping wisdom takes over when they make their selections.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to come up with a list early in the season of who will do the best job over the course of the season. But I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Cut was doing a great job when we were 2-2. It just did not get anyone's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Doesn't make a lot of sense to come up with a list early in the season of who will do the best job over the course of the season. But I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Cut was doing a great job when we were 2-2. It just did not get anyone's attention.
    Agree--this is why they usually modify most player award watch lists over the course of the season; seems like it would be a good idea to modify the coaching list as well.

The winner of the Maxwell Award will be announced announced on Dec. 19 (2 weeks left...)

Bryant Finalists announcement date hasn't been set yet (from my research) but should be announced soon.

Duke Assistant Kurt Roper (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks) is a finalist for the Broyles Award for Assistant coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

The list was actually released in early November when Duke was 6-2 and already defying expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Congratulations to Coach Cutcliffe! Coach has surrounded himself with an outstanding Staff and Smart Football Players, that bought into his Vision of Duke Football!!!

Coach Cutcliffe, ACC Coach of the Year, and National Coach of the Year!!! He is so deserving of all awards!!

Duke Football ~ Order has been Restored !
    Nice! I concur! Love Cut!

Richly deserved!
    Are we lucky Devils or what?!

As for a coaching challenge, Cut has a huge one this Saturday. If he wins that one, he will deserve not just awards but sainthood.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    The winner of the Maxwell Award will be announced announced on Dec. 19 (2 weeks left...)

Bryant Finalists announcement date hasn't been set yet (from my research) but should be announced soon.

Duke Assistant Kurt Roper (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks) is a finalist for the Broyles Award for Assistant coach of the Year
    Just a quick note. Last years Bryant Finalists were announced the 17 or 18th of Dec. So a similar wait will probably be in order.