Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    This is a trick question right??

Has Hell frozen over?
    Here's some early evidence:

hell-freezes-over.jpg

Not that it would ever change my mind: No, no, a thousand times no.
    Last edited by devildeac; 12-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Extremely improbable, but have we seen any of these yet:

pigs_flying.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I hope Unc is down so much they have to end the game early.
    Yes! Sparty refusing to pull their starters resulting in agreement at halftime to play just a 5 minute second period...

Quote Originally Posted by Here is a Turtle View Post
    Can someone please explain this Maryland hate of leaving the conference to me? The ACC is has poached numerous teams from the Big East (effectively killing the conference) but ACC fans are angry because one team (which is replaced almost immediately by Louisville which a lot of fans prefer and funny enough another Big East team) is leaving.

I can understand the good riddance comments. It makes sense. Maryland wants to leave, fine. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I'm cool with that.

What I cannot understand is why get so angry at a team that you hate or as has been said on this board numerous times, couldn't care less about, when the team leaves and replaces it with competition you seem better? Especially after just poaching three teams this year?
    Maryland left us. They face a debt that undercuts their ability to roll out a lineup of intercollegiate sports (which was originally caused by poor management and poor public/philanthropic support; ie, their problem). We preferred that they stay, so, despite a $3 million divorce check, we're mad at them

We gutted the core of the Big East to strengthen our conference in the face of uncertainty and financial opportunity. We're okay with this; it's a tough world, and the newcomers are happy to be here.

One could use words like hypocrisy and rationalization, but I prefer to focus on Maryland fans being exceptionally boorish and on their administration being disloyal as well as dumb enough to think it a good idea that their secondary sports now get to travel to Ames and West Lafayette on a regular basis. I, myself, have nothing against the athletes, who are probably a lot like the athletes at lots of other places, and just trying to do their sport and get an education and have some fun in the meantime.
    Last edited by johnb; 12-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.

I enjoy beating a good UNC team more than beating a terrible UNC team, though both are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    One could use words like hypocrisy and rationalization, but I prefer to focus on Maryland fans being exceptionally boorish and on their administration being disloyal as well as dumb enough to think it a good idea that their secondary sports now get to travel to Ames and West Lafayette on a regular basis. I, myself, have nothing against the athletes, who are probably a lot like the athletes at lots of other places, and just trying to do their sport and get an education and have some fun in the meantime.
    There is more to it than just being mad that Maryland left.

Maryland administrators were totally dishonest during the process. They assured ACC officials that they were not contemplating a move at the same time they were negotiating for the move to the Big Ten. The school's President freely admits that they violated the state's open meetings law to pull off the coup. Then when they did announce the move, they lied, claiming the Board of Regents vote was unanimous, when it wasn't.

The funny thing is that most of the secrecy and dishonesty was to prevent the Maryland fan base from finding out what a small cabal of administrators were up to -- they feared that the majority of Maryland fans would not support the move.

I would feel sorry for the Terp fans, but if I offered sympathy, they'd probably throw a water bottle at me. So screw them.

Why even talk about who we're "pulling for"? Didn't anyone watch the UAB game? This game is over before it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    While the back room stuff hasn't been made public, there was plenty of concern that the Big 10 was targeting other ACC teams besides Maryland in order to get a better toehold on the east coast. As I recall, that included Virginia, Carolina, and perhaps even us. If the ACC had lost Carolina and Virginia, that could have opened the floodgates for FSU and Clemson to consider the SEC (yeah, yeah, I know about the state thing) and for there to be some sort of weird, bifurcated Big 12, but we were certainly breathless with worry about it... And while I don't know or remember the details, I have no doubt that, midwestern demographics being what they are, they would have been happy to dismember the ACC to ensure their future.

And, while I want Carolina to fail overall, I tend to side with the theory that what's good for us (eg, ACC supremacy and upcoming AP polls) heavily informs my allegiance. So, while I like Izzo, I want his undefeated team and his conference to lose. That is tempered, of course, by Carolina's gahdawful powder blue, their hypocrisy, and my preference that we have more overall wins as soon as possible...
    Here's the thing. Me pulling for unc doesn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. I will pull against them in every game they play, and they'll win a bunch of those. But it sure puts a smile on my face when they lose! If they win the marginal benefits to Duke serves as somewhat of a consolation prize but its not enough to get me to cheer them on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    2000, maybe?
    Correct. Also 1999. All told, Izzo is 2-8 against UNC and has lost 6 in a row.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

this game will not be as one-sided as y'all think…..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

UNC defense very impressive so far.

Michigan State going Michigan State early.

Paige is pretty good, but this Meeks kid is about as athletic as a flat tire.

Well this might be a blowout after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... The school's President freely admits that they violated the state's open meetings law ... the secrecy and dishonesty was to prevent the Maryland fan base from finding out what a small cabal of administrators were up to -- they feared that the majority of Maryland fans would not support the move ...
    Well the open meetings law really should have a "public officials scared of being tied to a burning couch on Route 1" exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Well the open meetings law really should have a "public officials scared of being tied to a burning couch on Route 1" exception.
    They are killing Mich State. Mich State cannot shoot

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    They are killing Mich State. Mich State cannot shoot
    Give the heels credit, their defense is excellent. And they're killing the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Give the heels credit, their defense is excellent. And they're killing the boards.
    I agree - UNC plays to the level of their opponent. They have talent - just seem to lose focus.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I agree - UNC plays to the level of their opponent. They have talent - just seem to lose focus.
    Maybe MSU should change to the Belmont jerseys at the half...

Appling's wrist?

No one deserves that.

-jk