Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    2 words, HELL NO!

To quote a guy I used to do stand up with, if UNC was playing Al-Qaeda. I would be in the stands chanting, "Gimme an A, gimme a L...."

I'm with the poster who said that, even when his brain wins over his heart and he starts out rooting for UNC, he just can't do it after a few minutes. I will be rooting for MSU, even though I really do believe its better for Duke if UNC wins, and if the ACC looks as strong as possible when we make our run to win it.

I also USED to root for UNC against any non-ACC foe. But for me that changed when I discovered theri message boards, and found out how much the UNC fans hate Duke. I was no longer able to root for them out of logic, when I saw the degree of nastiness over there.

ABC...forever and always.

I hope Sparty wins by 1,000 points.

no…..we never "pull for unc"………unless we're pulling for them to fail miserably ……….

that said, i'm calling the upset tonight
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Has IZZO ever beaten the Heels?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I won't let their scummy, ugly fans dictate who I root for. It helps Duke (and the ACC) for UNC to win, so I'll pull "for the ACC", always. Regardless of the ugliness coming our way from IC and Chapel Hill in general. We're better than them (their fans, in general). Now, re. MD, can I root for OSU and MD both to lose???

And even though I'd like to see ACC victories across the board, I will still smile if MSU prevails -- kinda like a "glass half full" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Has IZZO ever beaten the Heels?
    2000, maybe?

Never. Not even if it would reduce global warming. Never, even if they confessed to every sin, violation, and crime that has become apparent in the last two years. Not ever. Not if they offered all their cheerleaders to serve as doormats into my house. Even if they changed their colors to fuschia. I pull for UK against them. I pull for Maryland against them. I would pull for Eddie Sutton, Jerry Tarkanian, or Kelvin Sampson against them. I cannot imagine any circumstance that would cause me to pull for UNC to win at anything. My only request is that they lose by 81-50. That would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Hang on, all the B1G managed to do was take Maryland away and we might end up with an extra $3M out of the whole thing. I'd say they were doing us a solid.
    While the back room stuff hasn't been made public, there was plenty of concern that the Big 10 was targeting other ACC teams besides Maryland in order to get a better toehold on the east coast. As I recall, that included Virginia, Carolina, and perhaps even us. If the ACC had lost Carolina and Virginia, that could have opened the floodgates for FSU and Clemson to consider the SEC (yeah, yeah, I know about the state thing) and for there to be some sort of weird, bifurcated Big 12, but we were certainly breathless with worry about it... And while I don't know or remember the details, I have no doubt that, midwestern demographics being what they are, they would have been happy to dismember the ACC to ensure their future.

And, while I want Carolina to fail overall, I tend to side with the theory that what's good for us (eg, ACC supremacy and upcoming AP polls) heavily informs my allegiance. So, while I like Izzo, I want his undefeated team and his conference to lose. That is tempered, of course, by Carolina's gahdawful powder blue, their hypocrisy, and my preference that we have more overall wins as soon as possible...
    Last edited by johnb; 12-04-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    While the back room stuff hasn't been made public, there was plenty of concern that the Big 10 was targeting other ACC teams besides Maryland in order to get a better toehold on the east coast. As I recall, that included Virginia, Carolina, and perhaps even us. I have no doubt that, midwestern demographics being what they are, they would have been happy to dismember the ACC to ensure their future.

And, while I want Carolina to fail overall, I tend to side with the theory that what's good for us (eg, ACC supremacy and upcoming AP polls) heavily informs my allegiance. So, while I like Izzo, I want his undefeated team and his conference to lose
    Well, to be fair, I targeted Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman for my conference, but they ultimately said no. (And filed restraining orders)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    2 words, HELL NO!

To quote a guy I used to do stand up with, if UNC was playing Al-Qaeda. I would be in the stands chanting, "Gimme an A, gimme a L...."
    Not tasteful. In the slightest.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

This is a trick question right??

Has Hell frozen over?

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I hope Sparty wins by 1,000 points.
    You left off a few zeros.

Also, I wonder what the under/over is on number of timeouts Roy will have left at the end of the game. Anyone checked the lines in Vegas??

Count me in as an honorary sparty tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    For most of my life (and I'm north of 60 years old), I pulled for UNC when they weren't playing Duke. I saw them as a partner in the battle between the schools playing real student athletes against the scumbag cheaters. Duke and UNC were partners in the fight to keep the 800 SAT rule. They were partners in the fight against ACC expansion. I was proud to have them as a rival.

Imagine my surprise to learn over the last few years that UNC was the worst of the scumbag cheaters. Mea culpa.

I will never again pull for a such a corrupt program. If UNC is playing Syracuse in the final game and a UNC victory would give Duke a regular season tile, I'd scream "Go Orange" and try to win the tournament.

Tonight, I'll pull like crazy for NC State, Boston College, Miami and Virginia.

Otherwise, go Sparty ... and I hope Ohio State buries Maryland (I don't see it as the Big Ten trying to kill the ACC, I see it as Maryland stabbing the ACC in the back -- pretending to support the league while negotiating in secret to jump to a richer league).

Can someone please explain this Maryland hate of leaving the conference to me? The ACC is has poached numerous teams from the Big East (effectively killing the conference) but ACC fans are angry because one team (which is replaced almost immediately by Louisville which a lot of fans prefer and funny enough another Big East team) is leaving.

I can understand the good riddance comments. It makes sense. Maryland wants to leave, fine. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I'm cool with that.

What I cannot understand is why get so angry at a team that you hate or as has been said on this board numerous times, couldn't care less about, when the team leaves and replaces it with competition you seem better? Especially after just poaching three teams this year?

As for the B1G/ACC challenge, I'm rooting for the ACC except for Virginia. Can't stand those guys. I dislike rooting for UNC, but I still have nightmares about the MSU buzzer beater that ended Vasquez's season so UNC wins by default.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlestonDevil View Post
    You left off a few zeros.

Also, I wonder what the under/over is on number of timeouts Roy will have left at the end of the game. Anyone checked the lines in Vegas??
    I don't think there's enough zeroes in the world to estimate that.

Let's Go Russians! er... Spartans!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Here is a Turtle View Post
    Can someone please explain this Maryland hate of leaving the conference to me? The ACC is has poached numerous teams from the Big East (effectively killing the conference) but ACC fans are angry because one team (which is replaced almost immediately by Louisville which a lot of fans prefer and funny enough another Big East team) is leaving.

I can understand the good riddance comments. It makes sense. Maryland wants to leave, fine. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I'm cool with that.

What I cannot understand is why get so angry at a team that you hate or as has been said on this board numerous times, couldn't care less about, when the team leaves and replaces it with competition you seem better? Especially after just poaching three teams this year?

As for the B1G/ACC challenge, I'm rooting for the ACC except for Virginia. Can't stand those guys. I dislike rooting for UNC, but I still have nightmares about the MSU buzzer beater that ended Vasquez's season so UNC wins by default.
    Because it's fine when you decide to break up with your girlfriend. But when she dumps you before you get a chance to tell her, well -- that stings. No one likes rejection, even when you don't really like the person to start.

It's kinda that I think. Maryland (hopes it) is better dealing the ACC for someone new. That is not being taken well in the rest of the conference.

I could be wrong, but that's my read.