Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ugly Basketball Night in America

Looks like Dr. Jekyll showed up tonight in East Lansing instead of Mr. Hyde.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Izzo and the Triangle teams

Wow, I'm just blown away that Izzo's Spartans choked AGAIN against Roy's Tar Heel.

That's 0-7 -- and I don't think any of them were particularly close. UNC whipped MSU 87-71 in the 2005 national semifinals; 81-67 in the NCAA second round in 2007;89-72 in the 2009 national title game; 98-63 in the 2008 ACC/BIG TEN Challenge ... there was also the aircraft carrier game to open the 2011-12 season and last night's game. The closest I can find is an 89-82 UNC win in the 2009 Challenge (and that was the year UNC went to the NIT).

Izzo is almost as bad against K and Duke. He's 1-7 against K ... he lost to Duke in the 1998 Great Eight in Chicago, in the 1999 NCAA semifinals in Tampa; in the 2003 and 2004 challenges (the first one in East Lansing); the 2010 challenge (one of Kyrie's eight great games);in the 2011 Champions Classic in New York (the one where K passed Knight on the win list); and in last year's Sweet 16 in Indianapolis. Izzo's one win came in the 2005 Sweet 16 in Austin , Tex.

Izzo is a great coach with a great postseason record, but he's been owned by K and his teams always roll over and play dead for UNC.

** Interesting note: Izzo and Michigan State were also in the Final Four with Duke in 2001 and 2010, but lost in the opposite semifinals both years and didn't get to play Duke. Pretty sure UNC and MSU were scheduled to meet in the 2006 NCAA Tournament, but both fell victim to George Mason and didn't get to meet.

I thought Jay Bilas mentioned Izzo telling him that he was aware of his record against ole roy. I was not impressed with MSU last night. unc made them look bad. GoDuke!

With the ACC looking thoroughly mediocre, who has the best conference this year?

I really wish we could start the challenge with another conference. But who consistently puts up winning teams top to bottom now that the Big East is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Izzo's one win came in the 2005 Sweet 16 in Austin , Tex.
    For me, that loss by Duke ranks up there as one of our most frustrating NCAAT losses. Duke should've had a very comfortable halftime lead in that game, except we kept carelessly turning the ball over in the first half even while thoroughly outplaying them. That gave MSU life and they played a much better second half. It was kind of like this season's Kansas game times ten, except against KU instead of careless turnovers, it was us shooting FTs way below our season avg.