Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio should be in the tandem mix, especially if Michigan State beats Ohio State.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    No need to roll your eyes. That's not the argument--we're not comparing Spurrier's coaching success at Duke and comparing it to Cutcliffe's coaching success at Duke. However, I would argue that Spurrier's successes at Duke are more impressive than his successes at South Carolina.
    Originally, I was responding to (what I perceived to be) the assertion that Cutcliffe is a better coach than Spurrier. That's why I said "maybe I'm confused" because I wasn't sure about the intent of the post.

I think we actually agree on pretty much everything, but just coming at it from two different angles.

I am impressed that it only took 6 posts to change the subject from Coach Cut's achievement to a "so's your old man" argument. Why do we need to discuss Steve
    Spurrier (who I admire very much, and who did so much in his short time with us), Urban Meyer, Thad Motta or even Coach K. This is well deserved honor for a coach who took a program legally determined to be the worst in Division I (or whatever we call it today) and made it legitimate. We are so fortunate to have a man of integrity and ability to lead our program. Thanks to him the tailgate is no longer the high point of football Saturday. Duke is no longer the butt of jokes concerning football. We'll never know what school has the best tandem (or covey, or herd, or gaggle) of coaches, but we know we have a real gem in David Cutcliffe.

From wralsports:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/cutclif...list/13176274/

I especially like this quote:

On Monday, Duke assistant head coach and offensive coordinator Kurt Roper was named one of five finalists for the Broyles Award, an honor presented annually to the top assistant coach in the nation.

“We are certainly so proud for Kurt with this recognition – it is truly deserved,” said Cutcliffe, who won the Broyles Award in 1998 while a member of the staff at Tennessee. “I know what the award stands for and without a doubt Kurt Roper has earned the opportunity to stand next to the finest assistant coaches in America. “

As many times as we have criticized Roper here, I'd like to be the first to request that my crow be grilled and served with onions and peppers.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From wralsports:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/cutclif...list/13176274/

I especially like this quote:

On Monday, Duke assistant head coach and offensive coordinator Kurt Roper was named one of five finalists for the Broyles Award, an honor presented annually to the top assistant coach in the nation.

“We are certainly so proud for Kurt with this recognition – it is truly deserved,” said Cutcliffe, who won the Broyles Award in 1998 while a member of the staff at Tennessee. “I know what the award stands for and without a doubt Kurt Roper has earned the opportunity to stand next to the finest assistant coaches in America. “

As many times as we have criticized Roper here, I'd like to be the first to request that my crow be grilled and served with onions and peppers.
    No such luck. Eat it straight!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    No such luck. Eat it straight!
    Grumpy waiter. No tip (or sporks) for you!

I think it would be crowded at the table. Hope there's enough to serve all of us doubters.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Grumpy waiter. No tip (or sporks) for you!

I think it would be crowded at the table. Hope there's enough to serve all of us doubters.
    At least the sporks!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Duke has the best pair of major sport coaches of any University in the country in Mke Krzyzewski and David Cutcliffe.
    That has got to be the first time anyone has nailed the surname and misspelled the first name.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    That has got to be the first time anyone has nailed the surname and misspelled the first name.
    Roywhite was just being consistent. There aren't vowels in the first half of Krzyzewski, so why should there be vowels in the first half of Mike? I prefer Mke.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Even the Wall Street Journal is interested in Coach Cutcliffe:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...34393738121278

My apologies if this has already been posted. There is no such thing as too many good Cutcliffe articles, and this was one of the best I've read:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ship-contender

My favorite quotes:
    And then you look at our players. I'm blessed with the kids we have here. We took the locks off our lockers. I don't ever want to coach anywhere again where you have to lock the locker room. A big reason we're winning is because of the kind of kids we have. I can't imagine coaching anywhere else.
    and
    I want to be a person that's made a difference in our profession and not just have a decent career. What I would tell coaches is to find a job that fits your personality and something you truly believe in and not something you're just working in.

This place has been the perfect fit for me.
    Not only do we have a highly capable coach running the football team, but we have one who's an excellent representative of Duke University. Makes me proud.
    T '05, SOM '10

David Cutcliffe is a rare football man -- one with vision beyond the current year and beyond even his own tenure. He understood that the Duke football program required a full overhaul in terms of its priorities, its culture, its facilities, and its goals. He instilled a quiet confidence in his vision in others, and now he deflects all praise to his assistants and his players.

Coach Cutcliffe is a fantastic football coach, and a better man. I would be happy to send one of my sons to him to play football for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    My apologies if this has already been posted. There is no such thing as too many good Cutcliffe articles, and this was one of the best I've read:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ship-contender

My favorite quotes:

and

Not only do we have a highly capable coach running the football team, but we have one who's an excellent representative of Duke University. Makes me proud.
    I think this is the money quote:
    "I'm thankful the game is Saturday night because I intend to let them sleep in Saturday morning because I know in my heart that they will be up all night this week doing papers and studying for finals," Cutcliffe said. "I tell them, 'You've got to be ready to play this game, but you can't dump your academics.' You just can't do that here."

Pretty sure Les Miles isn't saying such things.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Even the Wall Street Journal is interested in Coach Cutcliffe:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...34393738121278
    Great stuff. But to be fair, the author is a former sports editor at The Chronicle (and occasional DBR poster), so Duke has an inside track to the WSJ pages now.