Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Michigan Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

It would seem to be time to put the Arizona game to bed and take a look at Michigan.
    Key questions:

1. Can the defense continue to improve?
    I thought we saw some strides in the Alabama and Arizona games, but team defense is definitely still a work in progress. Michigan is not an offensive powerhouse; they're around #100 nationally in scoring. This looks like a good opportunity, in the friendly confines of Cameron, to take another step forward on defense before the finals/Christmas lull in the schedule sets in. Michigan's three top scorers, Nik Stauskas, Caris LeVert, and Glenn Robinson III, are all 6'6", so the physical matchup wouldn't seem to be too much of a problem. However, this will need to remain a point of emphasis if the team is to reach its full potential.
    2. Will the offense be more consistent and balanced?
    It has seemed to me that when the team focuses intently on defense, it tends to lose energy and focus on the offensive end. This has led to a couple of stretches in the last couple of games where there has been little imagination and, in my opinion, too much "wait for Rodney and Jabari to take care of it." I don't think it's a coincidence that in the last two games, Duke has played what looked to me like the best defense of the season, but also had the two lowest scoring outputs of the season (by a pretty considerable margin). Because our leading scorers are relatively inexperienced and because defenses are really keying on them, the rest of the guys will need to pick up a bit of slack and the whole team will need to communicate better, especially in halfcourt sets. When we became a stagnant, jumpshooting team in the second half against Arizona, the results were not pretty.
    3. Is the top-10 streak in danger?
    If Duke loses tomorrow night, the streak of top-10 poll appearances dating back to 2008 will be in serious jeopardy. I highly doubt that this is much of a priority for the coaches or players, but it would make for rich pundit fodder. You can bet that Doug Gottlieb, et. al. would have something to say about it.
    4. Can the ACC reclaim Big 10 Challenge supremacy?
    The ACC hasn't won the Challenge since 2008 (tied last year). This year, Indiana @ Syracuse, Penn State @ Pittsburgh, Northwestern @ NC State, and Wisconsin @ Virginia all look winnable. Duke is rightly favored tomorrow night, but will need to play well to win. It could well be a rubber match when all is said and done, because the remaining 7 games look like tossups (Notre Dame @ Iowa, Florida State @ Minnesota, Illinois @ GA Tech, Boston College @ Purdue) or ACC losses (unc @ Michigan State, Maryland @ Ohio State, Miami @ Nebraska).
    Last edited by wilson; 12-02-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling & clarity

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    It would seem to be time to put the Arizona game to bed and take a look at Michigan.
    Key questions:

I thought we saw some strides in the Alabama and Arizona games, but team defense is definitely still a work in progress. Michigan is not an offensive powerhouse; they're around #100 nationally in scoring. This looks like a good opportunity, in the friendly confines of Cameron, to take another step forward on defense before the finals/Christmas lull in the schedule sets in. Michigan's three top scorers, Nik Stauskas, Caris LeVert, and Glenn Robinson III, are all 6'6", so the physical matchup wouldn't seem to be too much of a problem. However, this will need to remain a point of emphasis if the team is to reach its full potential.
    It has seemed to me that when the team focuses intently on defense, it tends to lose energy and focus on the offensive end. This has led to a couple of stretches in the last couple of games where there has been little imagination and, in my opinion, too much "wait for Rodney and Jabari to take care of it." I don't think it's a coincidence that in the last two games, Duke has played what looked to me like the best defense of the season, but also had the two lowest scoring outputs of the season (by a pretty considerable margin). Because our leading scorers are relatively inexperienced and because defenses are really keying on them, the rest of the guys will need to pick up a bit of slack and the whole team will need to communicate better, especially in halfcourt sets. When we became a stagnant, jumpshooting team in the second half against Arizona, the results were not pretty.
    If Duke loses tomorrow night, the streak of top-10 poll appearances dating back to 2008 will be in serious jeopardy. I highly doubt that this is much of a priority for the coaches or players, but it would make for rich pundit fodder. You can bet that Doug Gottlieb, et. al. would have something to say about it.
    The ACC hasn't won the Challenge since 2008 (tied last year). This year, Indiana @ Syracuse, Penn State @ Pittsburgh, Northwestern @ NC State, and Wisconsin @ Virginia all look winnable. Duke is rightly favored tomorrow night, but will need to play well to win. It could well be a rubber match when all is said and done, because the remaining 7 games look like tossups (Notre Dame @ Iowa, Florida State @ Minnesota, Illinois @ GA Tech, Boston College @ Purdue) or ACC losses (unc @ Michigan State, Maryland @ Ohio State, Miami @ Nebraska).
    I'll be pulling for Northwestern in this one

Top10 streak is impressive but not important. I would like to see the non-Conf home winning streak continue. 6th man better be in full effect tomorrow!

Stauskas status uncertain for Duke game

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...tauskas_s.html

Will Stauskas be ready for the Blue Devils?

“I don’t know,” Michigan coach John Beilein said Friday. “Until he's practicing 100 percent, he won’t go in there. He’s got to be pretty close to 100 percent to go in there.”

Soon after that press conference, though, Stauskas went to Twitter, saying, "Great win by our guys today. We are getting better! No worries, my ankle will be okay.”

Will "The Streak" stay alive?

Looks like we're #10 in the AP and #8 in the coaches poll. A loss tomorrow would certainly break "The Streak" we have going.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Not that it means anything to anyone besides us fans, but it's still an impressive streak I'd like to see continue!

I like the top ten streak. It's a fun stat, but, pragmatically, it announces to recruits that we are always in the hunt for a NC. I think I like it better than the non-conference win streak...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I like the top ten streak. It's a fun stat, but, pragmatically, it announces to recruits that we are always in the hunt for a NC. I think I like it better than the non-conference win streak...
    Keep the one tomorrow, keep the other!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I gotta agree with you. I don't get the non-conference home game streak. I mean, does Kansas promote that they have the longest winning streak with teams starting with "K" that is in an arena beginning with "P"?

I like the home game win streak. I really like the simple win streak. Non-conference win streak sounds like a politician made it up...

But, I'm with you on top 10. That is incredible. What recruit wouldn't want to see that?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

It amuses me that the Michigan "faithful" are so down on Mitch McGary. He has not "lived up" to the potential he displayed in the tournament last year. Instead of building on those performances and becoming the All-American he was predicted to be by all of the prognosticators, he has "regressed" to his regular season form from last year.

It is particularly ironic that his failure to become a team leader is an issue when he plays Duke, where he would have been the perfect complement to this year's team

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It amuses me that the Michigan "faithful" are so down on Mitch McGary. He has not "lived up" to the potential he displayed in the tournament last year. Instead of building on those performances and becoming the All-American he was predicted to be by all of the prognosticators, he has "regressed" to his regular season form from last year.

It is particularly ironic that his failure to become a team leader is an issue when he plays Duke, where he would have been the perfect complement to this year's team
    Are you suggesting that McGary chose the wrong school?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Are you suggesting that McGary chose the wrong school?
    He's just saying what everybody already knows: Michigan doesn't develop big men.

Oh, and their players never achieve at the next level, either....
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    He's just saying what everybody already knows: Michigan doesn't develop big men.

Oh, and their players never achieve at the next level, either....
    Ha!

I think Mitch McGary made the right call with Michigan. Mitch's goal was to play right away, and he never would have had that at Duke (possibly more with Kelly going down for most of the season).

Also, he played like a senior, elite big man in the tourney. A lot of this is because he had the tools around him to do so (see Burke, Trey).

If McGary was patient, then Duke would have been the ideal place for him to shine, especially as a sophomore. He would have been the shoo-in for the starting 5.

Every recruit, for better or for worse, has a different agenda. McGary's was to play right away. And Michigan worked out pretty good thus far.

There are 2 primary questions that this team is still trying to figure out in my mind.

A lineup that has Josh and Tyler playing together...and for significant minutes...is not a unit that can be effective on offense and hurts the team (despite whatever positives that potentially could be felt on the defensive end). We need Rasheed playing confident and smart and Amile playing confident and strong...then we are a top 5 team...with Tyler and Josh...we are not. I, like many on this board, like the passion that the latter 2 bring to the table. But that is showing to be insufficient to win meaningful games.

The enigma, wrapped in a puzzle, stuck inside of a riddle that is Quin Cook. When he plays confident, strong and aggressive...we are a different team. When he gets dejected and plays passively and weakly...we are disjointed both offensively and defensively. I wish someone would just whisper in his ear to just let loose and play with the passion that we know is in him.
    Windy City Devil

I couldn't believe Katz suggesting that Duke can't win a big match up because of the first two losses this season. No one else in the country has played two opponents as good as those two. Haters everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Ha!

I think Mitch McGary made the right call with Michigan. Mitch's goal was to play right away, and he never would have had that at Duke (possibly more with Kelly going down for most of the season).

Also, he played like a senior, elite big man in the tourney. A lot of this is because he had the tools around him to do so (see Burke, Trey).

If McGary was patient, then Duke would have been the ideal place for him to shine, especially as a sophomore. He would have been the shoo-in for the starting 5.

Every recruit, for better or for worse, has a different agenda. McGary's was to play right away. And Michigan worked out pretty good thus far.
    Yea, but he *was* patient at Michigan by not entering the draft... Michigan fans need to show him the same patience. Plus he's coming off a back issue, which as Dwight Howard has shown, really can affect high energy bigs.

But I predicted he would struggle this year, now that he'd be game planned for. No Burke or Hardaway to take the pressure off...

And yes, he chose the wrong school.

Need Strength From the #5 Position

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    There are 2 primary questions that this team is still trying to figure out in my mind.

A lineup that has Josh and Tyler playing together...and for significant minutes...is not a unit that can be effective on offense and hurts the team (despite whatever positives that potentially could be felt on the defensive end). We need Rasheed playing confident and smart and Amile playing confident and strong...then we are a top 5 team...with Tyler and Josh...we are not. I, like many on this board, like the passion that the latter 2 bring to the table. But that is showing to be insufficient to win meaningful games.

The enigma, wrapped in a puzzle, stuck inside of a riddle that is Quin Cook. When he plays confident, strong and aggressive...we are a different team. When he gets dejected and plays passively and weakly...we are disjointed both offensively and defensively. I wish someone would just whisper in his ear to just let loose and play with the passion that we know is in him.
    Well Stated. I Support our team and coaches 100%. But without strength from the #5 position (I know Coach K doesn't play by position, but...) we will have a difficult time against many big quality teams, and with McGary, Michigan is such a team. Josh Hairston is everything one could want in a Duke student-athlete; however, his size does not fill the needs of this year's team. Until MPIII plays 15-20 minutes per game for a stretch of 3-5 games, we will never know whether he can fill our needs. Disappointed that he has not gotten the opportunity. What did he too so terribly against Arizona to only justify 2 or 3 minutes? Coach K has forgotten more basketball than I ever knew, but I
    would like it if MPIII were part of the "next play". Lets Go Duke - beat the "Not The Fab Five"

Old saying from an old fan

Quote Originally Posted by SheltonBob View Post
    Well Stated. I Support our team and coaches 100%. But without strength from the #5 position (I know Coach K doesn't play by position, but...) we will have a difficult time against many big quality teams, and with McGary, Michigan is such a team. Josh Hairston is everything one could want in a Duke student-athlete; however, his size does not fill the needs of this year's team. Until MPIII plays 15-20 minutes per game for a stretch of 3-5 games, we will never know whether he can fill our needs. Disappointed that he has not gotten the opportunity. What did he too so terribly against Arizona to only justify 2 or 3 minutes? Coach K has forgotten more basketball than I ever knew, but I
    would like it if MPIII were part of the "next play". Lets Go Duke - beat the "Not The Fab Five"
    To continue to do the same thing and expect a different result is the height of folly!

Quote Originally Posted by SheltonBob View Post
    Until MPIII plays 15-20 minutes per game for a stretch of 3-5 games, we will never know whether he can fill our needs.
    Coach K does not dole out playing time so fans can know what he already knows by watching MP3 in practice.

Read the Arizona postgame thread towards the end where MP3 was discussed. As if common sense wouldn't be enough to understand that Marshall has been slowed by offseason surgery, there are articles and direct quotes from Coach K discussing that matter and how Duke is waiting for MP3 to get back to where he was last season before the injury, when he could've been a 6th or 7th man.

Give it time to play out. Marshall could be ready tonight, or he could be ready a month from now. Give it time. Let this season breathe.

Also, what is with this habit of marrying ourselves to one player and making him the panacea? I like all our developing young players and think any of them could possibly do the job.

From my perspective, we need ONE of Marshall or Amile or Semi to become an effective frontcourt partner for Jabari. They would all do it in different ways based on their physical talent and skills, but call me crazy, I think it'll happen for us this season. Between the three of them, I give it a better than 50/50 shot that one of them emerges as an effective frontcourt partner for Jabari.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Key questions:

I too think defence is still our #1 issue. I love Jabari's game, but his D was sorely lacking vs. AZ on many plays where they got relatively easy buckets. He looks to me like a guy who is still not used to guarding players that can shoot from further out than 8 ft.

Our #2 issue is that Mr Sulu takes it right to the hole every time he goes in and nobody respects his ability (I assume it is there) to pass once he draws in the opposing D. He's looking too much like Demarcus Nelson (when he had to try to carry the team) so far this year, and that is not meant as a compliment given that I believe his ceiling is higher.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    ... Mr Sulu ... .
    Stop. Just stop.