Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I like our chance, a 10 points win

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeAlumBS View Post
    Duke by 20!
    Jimmy
    I'll take that bet for as much action as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Count me in too.

I will take solid play on both ends of the court for 40 minutes, and whatever the result is it is.

We really miss the senior leadership of Ryan, Mason and Seth. We have a very talented team -- perhaps more than last year's even -- but leadership is a work in progress. That's why you play these games in November -- to develop towards March.

I am confident we can get there. But it will be a learning process. So embrace the team, enjoy the ride, and expect some fits and starts. This is still very early.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Do not doubt the wisdom of Jimmy or he will make you educate him.

And (Dear God, I can't believe I'm saying this) he has just as much chance of being right as anybody. I mean, he DID nail the Alabama margin.

JIMMY!

Hm, what's with Jay-Will this year? He used to be Irrational Homer Guy, and now he's going Jay Bilas on us.

I kinda miss Irrational Homer Jay-Will.

Just saw a pretty crazy stat: Guess who was the last player to open his college career with 7 straight 20 point games? Kevin Durant.

That Parker kid is pretty good.

Jason Williams' Mom

Sat in the corner near us when Jason had scored more than Temple, in a game in Philadelphia (misnomer city hahhahhaha).

We were so proud for her and him.

GTHC

Parker (Loo us) Can't Lose

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Hm, what's with Jay-Will this year? He used to be Irrational Homer Guy, and now he's going Jay Bilas on us.

I kinda miss Irrational Homer Jay-Will.
    We will jell Jelly says, and wrap our defensive tentacles around their sorry butts.

Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    We will jell Jelly says, and wrap our defensive tentacles around their sorry butts.
    What??? I clearly don't get the reference, but awesome post, nonetheless.

I get that K is trying to get the core guys to sense "blood in the water" and develop that killer instinct to put the game away... however I really wouldnt mind seeing us platoon in more liberal substitutions with Murf, Semi, Mp3... Jones has cracked it lately...would like to see it expand and see more guys...

Wear down the other team... press trap and run...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Legitimate chance for Marshall to get some PT. Tarczewski is a match-up problem, and Parker is the only regular close to strong enough to keep him off the blocks. Don't want to waste Jabari's fouls or energy holding off Tarczewski the entire game.
    I agree.

I prefer a team with a “bruiser” type player. The bruiser’s job is to disrupt and agitate the opposing player. Foul hard and often. Tire and frustrate the opposing big man. If they foul out reward them with a job well done.

Both Semi and MP3 could fit the role. I know most people on the boards are against MP3. I sort of agree, but the big man will not improve sitting on the bench. Playing in real games versus practice is invaluable.

Of course bruisers also has its disadvantages. Most 7 footers have difficulty at the line, however, Tarczewski is shooting 75% from the line. In addition, the other team will go into the bonus quicker.

GTHC – but Dean was a master at playing his 2nd group and gaining valuable experience over the course of a season. Come tourney time he had an experienced bench. Duke’s chances will improve dramatically for an end of season run taking some lumps now and playing our big man.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsborodevil View Post
    GTHC – but Dean was a master at playing his 2nd group and gaining valuable experience over the course of a season. Come tourney time he had an experienced bench. Duke’s chances will improve dramatically for an end of season run taking some lumps now and playing our big man.
    Ah. Just as much as Turkey and Black Friday, gripes about how Coach K doesn't use his bench properly signal the start of the holiday season. It's so comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Ah. Just as much as Turkey and Black Friday, gripes about how Coach K doesn't use his bench properly signal the start of the holiday season. It's so comforting.
    If only we had used the bench more vs. Davidson, the reserve players would have been ready for Kansas, allowing us to win by at least 20.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsborodevil View Post
    Take a look at the bench depth of the 2001 and 2010 teams.

Back to the game at hand...Arizona presents a great early season challenge. They are as big and athletic as any team we will face this season. They will force our guys to focus on three areas of weakness, or get blown off the court: defense, rebounding, and maintaining focus.

I've gotten used to Duke being one of the most prepared teams at the beginning of the season over a long career of watching K's squads. This season is different, and fascinating. This team is so incredibly talented, but they have so much room for growth as a team. My Lord, can you imagine how good this team COULD be defensively? And how good that could make us, if we hit our defensive potential?

I'm with OPK. Games like this aren't about whether you win, although obviously I'd love to see a Duke win...they're about early season growth.

Hoping Plumlee Plays

Looking forward to attending today's Arizona game. Wasn't it just yesterday when Christian Laettner missed the foul shot at the Meadowlands, as a freshman, which in many ways may have helped him grow into the great player he became? Although I am not comparing Marshall Plumlee to Christian Laettner, I am HOPING he gets playing time today and uses it effectively. This will be a fun season for Duke, but in my opinion unless Coach K lets MPIII learn and grow and make mistakes, the 2013-2014 will not reach the heights we all hope for. Perhaps a well played 8-12 minutes today against the Arizona big center - which Duke will need, IMO - may begin that positive journey for MPIII and th Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by SheltonBob View Post
    Looking forward to attending today's Arizona game. Wasn't it just yesterday when Christian Laettner missed the foul shot at the Meadowlands, as a freshman, which in many ways may have helped him grow into the great player he became? Although I am not comparing Marshall Plumlee to Christian Laettner, I am HOPING he gets playing time today and uses it effectively. This will be a fun season for Duke, but in my opinion unless Coach K lets MPIII learn and grow and make mistakes, the 2013-2014 will not reach the heights we all hope for. Perhaps a well played 8-12 minutes today against the Arizona big center - which Duke will need, IMO - may begin that positive journey for MPIII and th Devils.
    Couldn't agree more. An investment in Marshall at this point in the season could pay big dividends later if he starts to get it together.

I hope we break press better and I think we will. Let's Go Duke!!!!!!!!

The Wildcats!

I haven't see Zona play this year. So I don't know if they play mostly man to man, mostly zone or mix it up. If they play man to man, I think Jabari, Hood, Quinn and Rasheed will do well offensively. If they play zone, then I hope Andre lights them up. Our problems will come on defense and rebounding. But don't count the Blue Devils out. We've beaten better teams that were supposedly better than us. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I haven't see Zona play this year. So I don't know if they play mostly man to man, mostly zone or mix it up. If they play man to man, I think Jabari, Hood, Quinn and Rasheed will do well offensively. If they play zone, then I hope Andre lights them up. Our problems will come on defense and rebounding. But don't count the Blue Devils out. We've beaten better teams that were supposedly better than us. GoDuke!
    Mostly man.