Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Thanks, Jim. This fills in some missing info for me explaining what happened to Duke basketball during the four years before Ozzie and I arrived at the Gothic Wonderland. The 72-73 season was Duke's first losing season (IIRC) in over 30 years (32? 33?). Too painful to research it and get the exact number right. We lost our last home game and Bucky was serenaded with:

Good-bye, Bucky.
    Good-bye, Bucky.
    Good-bye, Bucky.
    We're glad to see you go.

It was indeed not pleasant.
    Waters was scheduled to coach the 1973-'74 season. He had one year left on his contract but told AD Carl James that he couldn't recruit without an extension. When James declined, Waters resigned, shortly before the beginning of practice.

Duke was on the hot seat. You don't get quality coaches in September.

James actually contacted Adolph Rupp, forced to retire at Kentucky because of an maximum-age rule for state employees. It would have been for one year, long enough for James to look for a permanent replacement.

James told me that it was a done deal until the manager of Rupp's farms died unexpectedly. Rupp called it off and Duke assistant Neil McGeachy took over on a one-year contract. He went 10-16 and didn't get the permanent job.

James hired Bill Foster, so that one turned out okay. But Foster had a real rebuilding project on his hands.

I had forgotten about Dave Elmer, but even on being reminded can't recall him ever scoring 40 points. I'll take Jim Sumner's word for it, of course.

And Jim, although Fitzsimmons didn't exactly PLAY for Bucky, he was certainly coached by him, and was a part of Bucky's program for his four months at Duke. He did not leave after his freshman year, as you indicated - he left after the first semester, never playing following the Christmas break in 1969. While he experienced initial success at Harvard, his game deteriorated, rumored to be because of other interests that diverted his attentions, and never fulfilled his considerable basketball promise.

I suspect that Bucky rehabilitated himself in most of our eyes by his work as a color commentator, which humanized him and showed his better sides. As Grey Devil suggests, those were pretty difficult times, and both Bucky and some of his players were the victims of, among other things, the generational/cultural divide.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytoc View Post
    I suspect that Bucky rehabilitated himself in most of our eyes by his work as a color commentator, which humanized him and showed his better sides. As Grey Devil suggests, those were pretty difficult times, and both Bucky and some of his players were the victims of, among other things, the generational/cultural divide.
    Not everyone could straddle a fence like Uncle Terry . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not everyone could straddle a fence like Uncle Terry . . . .
    When one straddles the fence makes a difference, too.

The late sixties were unbelievably exciting, shocking, violent, nonviolent, uplifting and depressing.

I've known Bucky for a long time. He has been dedicated to Duke since he served as an assistant to Vic Bubas. He always wanted to come back to Duke when he went to West Virginia as head coach. After he resigned he became a very successful fund raiser with the Development Office and then at the Hospital. In conversations Bucky is very open about his shortcomings during the trying period coaching during Vietnam and the cultural revolution of the 1960's. He admits to not adjusting well. Many didn't. He was a product of his time and the times, they were achangin. Not everyone changed in a timely manner.

All said, Bucky is a fine man who loves Duke and served her well (even though he is a State grad).

I had forgotten about Dave Elmer, but even on being reminded can't recall him ever scoring 40 points. I'll take Jim Sumner's word for it, of course.

And Jim, although Fitzsimmons didn't exactly PLAY for Bucky, he was certainly coached by him, and was a part of Bucky's program for his four months at Duke. He did not leave after his freshman year, as you indicated - he left after the first semester, never playing following the Christmas break in 1969. While he experienced initial success at Harvard, his game deteriorated, rumored to be because of other interests that diverted his attentions, and never fulfilled his considerable basketball promise.

Elmer's 40-point game was in a freshman game. He fouled Burleson out and I can still remember Burleson on his hands and knees, slamming the floor in frustration.

Elmer averaged 21.1 points and 10.1 rebounds on that freshman team, shooting 62.2% from the field.

Could of been a contender.

I still don't think we can pin Fitzsimmons on Waters. I'm pretty sure Fitzsimmons lasted past Christmas break because freshman teams hardly played before Christmas in those days. He played eight of the sixteen games, averaging 19.3 ppg. I seem to recall semester break took place much later in those days, so that might be it.

His game overlapped a lot with that of Dawson and Melchionni was a combo guard in that class, while O'Connor was a 6-4 2/3. So, I think he just looked at the depth chart and didn't like what he saw.

He was first-team All-Ivy in 1974.

I'm not sure Bucky rehabbed himself as much as mellowed. After leaving coaching, he became a fund raiser for Duke hospital. I suspect my-way-or-the-highway didn't work all that well in that context. But I do find it difficult to reconcile the Bucky Waters I know now with the Bucky Waters I thought I knew back in 1972.

I do sometimes imagine a 1972 Duke team with O'Connor, Redding, Shaw, Melchionni, Blackman, Dawson, Elmer, Fitzsimmons and Righter. Probably doesn't lose 12 games.

Then again, Robbie West never has a chance to see the floor against Carolina. So, there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    When one straddles the fence makes a difference, too.

The late sixties were unbelievably exciting, shocking, violent, nonviolent, uplifting and depressing.
    I do not think I have ever seen it put better, DiBD.

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA
    ... As Grey Devil suggests, those were pretty difficult times, and both Bucky and some of his players were the victims of, among other things, the generational/cultural divide.
    Not sure I would use the phrase “victims of, among other things, the generational/cultural divide.” Those were enlightening times, based on my experience, and I subscribe to the philosophy that many people had their “awareness raised,” not that they were “victimized.” But that gets into politics and we no longer have a board that allows for that kind of discussion.

I do think, however, that Bucky did not have a full understanding of what cultural changes students then were experiencing. (And based on what Indoor66 and Jim Sumner posted, it appears that that Bucky has learned and grown a lot – as have we all – since those times.) I won’t claim to know anything about what went on between Bucky and his team. However, many of us on campus at that time decided to take different paths as a result of the then current climate. For example, even though I had lettered on the Duke swim team during both my freshman and sophomore years, I decided that I had other priorities as a result of the changes going on around me and decided not to continue my athletic activities. Instead I directed my attentions to my academic work and focused more on social change and education. Others made different decisions, which I cannot and will not judge.

I can say, however, that Bucky certainly has improved his public image immensely since those times. Occasionally I do wonder, however, if DeVenzio were still alive what kind of relationship, if any, he and Bucky would now have. I certainly hope that, like many others who experienced those times, they would have been able to grow beyond their differences and would now have a healthier relationship.

Grey Devil