Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Usually yes, and in the case of 2009-10, it did, as that team had 29 blocks in its first 6 games and this year's team only has 23, so it's a one block per game difference. However, Amile only has one block so far, and his block percentage as a freshman (3.7%) was roughly the same as Brian Zoubek's block percentage as a senior (4.0%), so in the case of this year's team, I expect our overall blocks to go up. Obviously, you can't say for sure, so I may end up being wrong about this, but I really don't think blocks were a major difference between the 2010 team and this year's team. Lots of other differences, but probably not blocks.
    I would agree. I think the major differences between the 2010 team and this team were in rebounding and opposing team's FG%. While FG% could be a function of shotblocking presence, I don't think that was the case in 2010. I think it was just excellent position defense, forcing teams into shots that they didn't want (and contesting those). And then, of course, limiting second-chance points.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    jay williams said last night that if he were in the game, he'd be taking str8 to the basket every time…….the new rules are affecting the game
    To be fair, I don't know that it is so much "new rules" as emphasizing the calling of existing rules.

But yes, the clear implication of this shift (whatever you want to call it) is that driving to the basket is a MUCH more valuable skill than in the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    then why have so many teams/coaches been able to do it more successfully than Duke?
    Mostly because this particular group of Duke players has very little game experience together. It's a work in progress and they just received a tough lesson. They are smart, talented players with a great coach -- they'll get better.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, I don't know that it is so much "new rules" as emphasizing the calling of existing rules.

But yes, the clear implication of this shift (whatever you want to call it) is that driving to the basket is a MUCH more valuable skill than in the past few years.
    which is exactly why the changes should be helping duke, not hurting.

Block/charge

The block/charge rule has been changed, and that makes a big difference. Seems like 90 of all collisions between a driver and a secondary defender are now blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    which is exactly why the changes should be helping duke, not hurting.
    Well, they should be helping Duke on offense. And given that we're the #1 offense in the country, I'd say we're not suffering there.

They should be hurting Duke on defense, because we have generally been a very physical/handsy team defensively. And based on our foul rate, that appears to be the case, too.

The relative defensive result is much worse mainly due to inexperience and poor communication. But the rules changes certainly have affected our absolute performance on defense, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    The block/charge rule has been changed, and that makes a big difference. Seems like 90 of all collisions between a driver and a secondary defender are now blocks.
    Yes, but the reason the rule was changed was because officials were so bad at correctly calling the block/charge by the rule. Teams were getting way too many charges drawn because officials were over-doing that call. So they changed the rule to make it easier on the official to get it right.

The error should be in favor of the offensive player (i.e., jumping in front of a driver at the last minute shouldn't be rewarded). But too often previously the error was in favor of the defender.

Captains!

Well, they should be helping Duke on offense. And given that we're the #1 offense in the country, I'd say we're not suffering there.

They should be hurting Duke on defense, because we have generally been a very physical/handsy team defensively. And based on our foul rate, that appears to be the case, too.

The relative defensive result is much worse mainly due to inexperience and poor communication. But the rules changes certainly have affected our absolute performance on defense, too.
    I agree and I think it's affecting Josh and Tyler more than I expected. Tyler has the reputation of playing "chippy" anyway and Josh has been very good at taking the charge. Those things have hurt Duke on defense. GoDuke!

I would agree. I think the major differences between the 2010 team and this team were in rebounding and opposing team's FG%. While FG% could be a function of shotblocking presence, I don't think that was the case in 2010. I think it was just excellent position defense, forcing teams into shots that they didn't want (and contesting those). And then, of course, limiting second-chance points.
    Might also want to throw in the experience level of the respective teams. Give the kids a chance.

Gosh, another late game. Headed to store to pickup some 5hour energies. Go Duke!!!!! Rip em up, tear em up, give em !!!!!!

Advanced statistics tell the story of Duke's defensive woes

Good read from Laura Keeley of the N&O: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/...the-story.html

Snippet:

Duke guards against 3-pointers well, as opponents are making just 27.1 percent of their attempts (good for 34th nationally). But that’s all the Blue Devils are guarding effectively; opponents are making 50.9 percent of their two-point shot attempts, and many of those are coming off of easy shots in the paint.

Again going back to the preseason, Krzyzewski talked about changes the Blue Devils planned to make on defense this year. The original idea of a full-court press has largely gone away (with the new emphasis on calling hand-check fouls, pressing is tougher than ever). It’s been mainly a half-court defense thus far.

“In the half-court defense, there might be more switching, which, if you can do it, switching is a good thing,” Krzyzewski said in September. “It’s a really good thing.”

Duke has tried to switch on most screens, and that hasn’t been a recipe for success. Too often, there hasn’t been any help defense, as a defender has been late on his rotation, especially on the weak side near the basket (Vermont exploited this often, and finished with 50 points in the paint, 55.6 percent of its total points). And without a strong post presence, opponents are scooping up an average of 11.7 offensive rebounds per game (ranking Duke 192nd).

-----
    And for anyone thinking zone, don't hold your breath:
    -----

For those hoping for Krzyzewski to ditch his man-to-man style and go zone, don’t --he shot that idea down quickly Sunday night.

“We are going to revisit my first three years here,” he said in reference to people doubting his schemes as he went 38-47. “Nothing will work if you don’t talk on defense.”

jay williams said last night that if he were in the game, he'd be taking str8 to the basket every time…….
    if a completely-healthy jay williams were magically allowed to return for a 4th year, these threads would be complaining that he was too offensive minded and argue that we should still play zone and start [insert freshman's name here].

The good thing about our defense is that they do guard the 3 well. If we can ever shore up our interior D even a little bit, Duke is going to be extremely hard to beat. The 3 point shot is the great equalizer in college basketball (or it was before all these fouls started to permeate the game). Duke is eliminating that equalizer. If we can be slightly more effective at limiting points in the paint, we're going to be just fine. In my opinion, Duke is the top offensive team in the country, top 4 at the very worst. Our defense isn't going to get worse, and our offense is going to get better as long as Parker doesn't wear down, which is admittedly a real concern. If you want to beat Duke, better get 'em now.

Optimism, I'm not usually one for it, but I love this team.

jay williams said last night that if he were in the game, he'd be taking str8 to the basket every time…….the new rules are affecting the game
    I seem to recall that's exactly what JWill did anyway.

And did it damn well.

The zone

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post
    Good read from Laura Keeley of the N&O: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/...the-story.html

Snippet:

Duke guards against 3-pointers well, as opponents are making just 27.1 percent of their attempts (good for 34th nationally). But that’s all the Blue Devils are guarding effectively; opponents are making 50.9 percent of their two-point shot attempts, and many of those are coming off of easy shots in the paint.

Again going back to the preseason, Krzyzewski talked about changes the Blue Devils planned to make on defense this year. The original idea of a full-court press has largely gone away (with the new emphasis on calling hand-check fouls, pressing is tougher than ever). It’s been mainly a half-court defense thus far.

“In the half-court defense, there might be more switching, which, if you can do it, switching is a good thing,” Krzyzewski said in September. “It’s a really good thing.”

Duke has tried to switch on most screens, and that hasn’t been a recipe for success. Too often, there hasn’t been any help defense, as a defender has been late on his rotation, especially on the weak side near the basket (Vermont exploited this often, and finished with 50 points in the paint, 55.6 percent of its total points). And without a strong post presence, opponents are scooping up an average of 11.7 offensive rebounds per game (ranking Duke 192nd).

-----
    And for anyone thinking zone, don't hold your breath:
    -----

For those hoping for Krzyzewski to ditch his man-to-man style and go zone, don’t --he shot that idea down quickly Sunday night.

“We are going to revisit my first three years here,” he said in reference to people doubting his schemes as he went 38-47. “Nothing will work if you don’t talk on defense.”
    Thank you very much. Your points are right on.
    The season started with the new rules. The team will adapt.
    Quit the ZONE non sense?
    We will win this game by 10.
    We will win the Arizona game by the same.
    Duke by 10 over the Arizona forum, I may be ahead of that forum, but will be there.
    Let coach K do his job ? ????

Duke!
    Jimmy

Television

Is tonight's game on TV? Saw it listed as ESPN3. That can't be right can it?

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    The game will be shown on TV on ESPN2. It is will also be shown online on ESPN3/WatchESPN
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    GoDuke has it listed as ESPN, 9:30.

Yes, but the reason the rule was changed was because officials were so bad at correctly calling the block/charge by the rule. Teams were getting way too many charges drawn because officials were over-doing that call. So they changed the rule to make it easier on the official to get it right.

The error should be in favor of the offensive player (i.e., jumping in front of a driver at the last minute shouldn't be rewarded). But too often previously the error was in favor of the defender.
    Completely disagree. It is MUCH harder to correctly call block/charge now. Before, officials would watch defense and make calls; with the block charge it was simply did the defender establish legal defending position before the offensive player left the floor. Now officials have to watch the offensive player to determine when the "rise" occurs, and then determine if the defender had legal defending position; MUCH harder. The result has been predictable, close calls are blocks not charges, even though offensive players are jumping into contact.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    if a completely-healthy jay williams were magically allowed to return for a 4th year, these threads would be complaining that he was too offensive minded and argue that we should still play zone and start [insert freshman's name here].
    sigh……watching livingston last night and this subject in general depresses me….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese