Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Pretty sure you'd be wrong. I will look it up for you though.
    I looked for a shot chart... Couldn't find one though.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Hood is a slightly tall shooting guard. Parker is a slightly tall small forward. We can pretend they are a 3 and a 4, but we can't pretend they are a 4 and 5 and use THorton in a line up with Cook and Dawkins/Sheed. None of them defend the ball well enough to make up for the fact that then no one can rebound.
    FTR this isn't really true. Jabari parker is 6'8 225 pounds. That's basically lance thomas measurements. Lance played the 4/5. Moreover, those are bigger measurements than a guy who played similarly in position - KYLE SINGLER. Singler played the 2 through 5 in College, and Duke's D was never below the top 20 with him.

There's no reason Jabari can't do what Singler did.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    With all due respect to the Chicken Little Brigade, nothing of significance is at stake on November 24.

The only way this game hurts us is if we fail to learn from it. That applies to both the players and the staff.
    It is true that this game has no meaning- but the D is poor. Guys are either not communicating or understand how to play it correctly. This should have been a loss but it will be forgotten. The team is not committed to playing D at a high level. That needs to be a habit or it will be a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Will be up by tomorrow morning I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Too close! Before anyone turns into chicken little--Vermont played out of their frickin minds. We need to work on our rebounding though.
    Bawk, bawk.

Seriously though, this defense has been unbelievably bad. I was willing to accept that the rules changes would take some getting used to(both for players and refs), but this is ridiculous. Something has to give.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    With all due respect to the Chicken Little Brigade, nothing of significance is at stake on November 24.

The only way this game hurts us is if we fail to learn from it. That applies to both the players and the staff.
    Members of the Pollyanna Patrol, If you think ECU and Vermont games were just flukes, good on you. Let's hope you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    FTR this isn't really true. Jabari parker is 6'8 225 pounds. That's basically lance thomas measurements. Lance played the 4/5. Moreover, those are bigger measurements than a guy who played similarly in position - KYLE SINGLER. Singler played the 2 through 5 in College, and Duke's D was never below the top 20 with him.

The bigger issue is that Hood is clearly not comfortable inside on defense. He needs to be on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I was following it on game tracker. I didn't get the 2nd half stat, but 13 of their first 16 were in the paint. The second wasn't quite that bad, but it was still points in the paint over and over. And Vt. only took 13 three point shots all game, making only 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

Kyle Singler was at his best for him and for the team when he was playing at the 3. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Vermont shot 64.8% from the floor. WOW. They missed 7 free throws. A couple more makes, and we might be talking about one of the biggest upsets ever. I expect Coach K to make starting lineup changes next game. Thornton is a lock to start, but unfortunately, he's also averaging like 4.9 fouls per game right now with these new rules. Boy, what's going on with Sulaimon? He has really shot the ball poorly as of late, and his defense has been almost equally bad. That's one guy who we really need to step it up right now. He's capable of playing so much better than this.
    On another thread yesterday I posted that Rasheed's time as a starter was close to ending. Guessing we've arrived even earlier than I thought.

If you followed the 2nd half of last season, all summer with the USA team, and through the beginning of this season, you conclude that he's not an especially good shooter, his D isn't impressive, and he gets seriously flustered/upset at himself and basically races coach K to take himself out of the game.

I really like Sheed, you can tell how badly he wants to do well. Feel bad for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    I was following it on game tracker. I didn't get the 2nd half stat, but 13 of their first 16 were in the paint. The second wasn't quite that bad, but it was still points in the paint over and over.
    Yeah, it was still a LOT of shots in the paint in the second. They hit 3 second half threes, but I would still suggest that most of their buckets were very close to the rim.

I thin this sums up the teams effort the last two games

@laurakeeley: Very somber Mike K. Said his guys didn't respect Vermont or the game enough, something he's rarely felt about one of his #Duke teams

Quote Originally Posted by drcharl View Post
    Why shouldn't we shift to zone at least periodically? It's too agonizing to watch those easy and often uncontested layups.
    Duke zone? what team have you been watching?

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    I thin this sums up the teams effort the last two games

@laurakeeley: Very somber Mike K. Said his guys didn't respect Vermont or the game enough, something he's rarely felt about one of his #Duke teams
    Good on Coach K. Don't want to be the players for next practice.

man to man

I will be interested in any adjustments that the coaching staff makes in terms of the man to man defense. At least so far this year, we haven't been successful with the pressure defense in terms of getting turnovers. Coupled with poor rotation and lack of a legitimate shot blocker, plus poor defensive rebounding and a plethora of (touch)fouls on the perimeter, gives us performances like ECU and tonight. Part of it is just playing harder and with better communication, but if I were K, I might dial back the half-court pressure a little and make teams make shots over us.

Quote Originally Posted by Goduke2010 View Post
    On another thread yesterday I posted that Rasheed's time as a starter was close to ending. Guessing we've arrived even earlier than I thought.

If you followed the 2nd half of last season, all summer with the USA team, and through the beginning of this season, you conclude that he's not an especially good shooter, his D isn't impressive, and he gets seriously flustered/upset at himself and basically races coach K to take himself out of the game.

I really like Sheed, you can tell how badly he wants to do well. Feel bad for the kid.
    If Sheed is about to lose his starting job then it absolutely should NOT go to Thorton.

I'm fine with looking at some other options if those are along the lines of Jones or Semi or Murphy or even maybe Hairston or MP3.

But there is NOTHING that Tyler does better than Sulaimon - not shooting, not passing, not defense, not rebounding, not penetrating - nothing.

Sheed is roughly Daniel Ewing. He needs to get his game back. His freshman stats were on par with players who end up being all-conference in their later years. He's just in a little slump now.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, it was still a LOT of shots in the paint in the second. They hit 3 second half threes, but I would still suggest that most of their buckets were very close to the rim.
    Just went through the play by play...

Roughly 22 made shots were listed as "layups" or "dunks."

11-ish shots were jumpers (including threes).

I stand corrected. They got killed in the paint.

Laura Keeley tweeted during the game that Andre Dawkins was coming in for Rasheed as a defensive substitution. I thought, "Uh oh."

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
    Bawk, bawk.

Seriously though, this defense has been unbelievably bad. I was willing to accept that the rules changes would take some getting used to(both for players and refs), but this is ridiculous. Something has to give.
    You know something is wrong when Tyler Thorton, our best perimeter defender, makes a terrible foul late in the game on a desperation three. Or when a team that comes in shooting something like 40% hits 65%.

The improvement will come, but the sooner the better.