Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 91, Vermont 90 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Well, at least we didn't lose. But we are going to have figure out defense. Can't let a 1-4 team run layup drills like that.

I'm buying stock in TUMS...

We won.

Now I will go a vomit.

That sums the game up for me.

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)
    Way too close for my liking. This team is beginning to confuse me a little. I know that Vermont shot out of their minds tonight but I still did not expect this. Glad we got the W but we need to learn from the last couple of close-calls.

Too close! Before anyone turns into chicken little--Vermont played out of their frickin minds. We need to work on our rebounding though.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Put your post-game thoughts here.
    Anyone understand the technical reasons we can't play D?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueHeart4 View Post
    Way too close for my liking. This team is beginning to confuse me a little. I know that Vermont shot out of their minds tonight but I still did not expect this. Glad we got the W but we need to learn from the last couple of close-calls.
    they're making layups at a ridiculous clip!
    April 1

If team after team shoots lights out against us perhaps our defense is just bad. In the new environment the pressure man defense leaves you exposed on the backside time and time again.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    they're making layups at a ridiculous clip!
    It's almost like they ran that drill right before tip-off...

I can finally relax my sphincter...

Vermont played out of their minds. Villanova-esque (circa 1983). Hit everything they put up and their zone flummoxed Duke. Gonna suck facing Syracuse if they don't learn how to beat it.

Wayyyy too many threes. Drive, get fouled. That's the new NCAA.

Survive and advance! (Too soon?)

Allowing a team like Vermont to score 90 is a problem. The ole defense at the top of the key will be our downfall more than once.

Good news: 1) Duke won. 2) It's early in the season. 3) Made (most) of the late game free throws.

Bad news: Where do you even start? Making the 304th best shooting team - one that had lost 3 of 4 games coming in to Cameron - look like the Steve Nash-led Phoenix Suns in their prime? All the credit in the world to Vermont, but they were distraught at the end of the game because they knew they deserved to win. And they're right.

The home team has been a fun team to watch the last two games…on one end of the floor.

W

Nice colorectal extraction!

We get everyone's best game

Firstly, congrats to Vermont. Great opponent. Lots of experience, lots of heart.

Secondly, good looking offense. 91 points - not bad.

Thirdly to God-knows-what-the-list-is, that was PATHETIC defense. I thought our defense was bad during the Austin Rivers year, but this was so much worse. And don't BLAME the refs or the new rules, it's Duke 100%.

Jabari, Andre, Cook, Sheed, and Amile had terrible defense. I now see the true value of Hairston and Thornton: when you're mediocre at D, you look like Shane Battier and Wojo in comparison to your teammates who can't defend to save their lives.

I hope Coach K kicks their collective asses for the next 3 days. This team needs it. There is no toughness, there is no cohesive defense, there is little heart.

And I do not feel that I am overreating. Vermont was 1-4 walking into this game (and losing to St. Joes, Bryant, Providence, and Wagner) and scoring an average of 63 points. We were in Cameron, we are a top 10 team, and we had plenty of rest coming into this game.

Wow...just wow.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Wow... I'm speechless...

And I don't mean that in a good way... Yipes, that was not pretty...

Why do people think Vermont shot out of their minds? They shot at least a dozen layups. They actually didn't SHOOT that much. They missed a number of late free throws and were not very good from the 3pt line. I hope we can shore up the communication, because when guys get beat nobody is stepping up from the helpside!

Wow is all I can say at the moment.
    Oh and that our defense is extremely porous or none existent.

Just as some sage individual posted that (in light of our difficulties with ECU) Vermont was going to be in trouble tonight, I guess that Alabama is REALLY in a world of trouble on Wednesday. Of course, I don't believe that, but I won't be surprised if some "expert" posts words to that effect in the Alabama pre-game thread. smh

Seems as if we've been having this same conversation (re: defensive incompetence) for many years now.