Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Scenarios are as follows:
    Duke wins -> To the title game.
    Duke loses ->
    ----If VT Wins -> VT to the title game.
    ----If VT Loses ->
    --------Miami Wins --> Miami to the title game.
    --------Miami Loses --> GT to the title game.
    Thanks. So, in other words, beat ewe in see?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

In keeping with the "new tradition" started last year for the carolina game in Wallace Wade, I will neither be able to attend the game nor watch it on TV, as I'll be driving home from NY where I had attended our games in the Preseason NIT. Based on last year's results, carolina will indeed be sent back to HELL for another year and we'll keep the Victory Bell! I am hoping to be able to listen to the game on XM Radio.

Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    In keeping with the "new tradition" started last year for the carolina game in Wallace Wade, I will neither be able to attend the game nor watch it on TV, as I'll be driving home from NY where I had attended our games in the Preseason NIT. Based on last year's results, carolina will indeed be sent back to HELL for another year and we'll keep the Victory Bell! I am hoping to be able to listen to the game on XM Radio.

Make sure you set your DVR so you can enjoy your return home!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

C'mon Duke, hang onto that bell. Send those Tar Heels down to Hell!

Ozzie, sorry to hear that you can't watch the game but if it's any consolation...watching it on television...listening to it on the car radio...the end result's the same - you'll be yelling at either one! I sure hope that the Duke fans who can make the trip to Kenan are loud, because we've got every reason to be proud! GTHC GTH, GTHC GTH!

Ghcgh

GHCGH

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

Unfortunately, I will be on the train back from the game in NY during the football game. I will probably try to follow the DBR chat on my phone (My phone isn't fast enough for the ESPN app).

keys to the game

Duke and UNC come into the game pretty evenly matched overall. In terms of total offense, UNC is ranked 52nd and Duke 63rd, while for total defense Duke is 53rd and UNC 66th.

Duke's biggest advantage is the running game- we rank 57th in rushing offense, while UNC is only 82nd in rushing defense, so we need to establish the running game and possess the ball.

On the defensive side, we need to limit big plays, as we have done well most of the year. UNC is very pass-heavy: their passing offense is elite (24th in the nation) but their running game less so (90th). However, those are season statistics and don't fully account for Marquise Williams, who is a much better runner than Renner. Duke will have a good chance if we can limit his rushing yards, as their running game is limited otherwise.

Finally, we need to limit turnovers and prevent Ryan Switzer from running back any more punt returns for touchdowns and we should have a good chance Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    Finally, we need to limit turnovers and prevent Ryan Switzer from running back any more punt returns for touchdowns and we should have a good chance Saturday.
    This statement above, and stopping Eric Ebron are going to be our two biggest tasks. If we win the turnover margin, play solid special teams and hold Ebron to <100 yards, I think we get out of Chapel Hill with the victory.

One thing is for absolute certain, Cutcliffe will have our guys prepared. GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilinNYC View Post
    This statement above, and stopping Eric Ebron are going to be our two biggest tasks. If we win the turnover margin, play solid special teams and hold Ebron to <100 yards, I think we get out of Chapel Hill with the victory.

One thing is for absolute certain, Cutcliffe will have our guys prepared. GTHC
    I'm fairly confident Duke will prevent Switzer from running any back. Duke's given up I think all of 2 punt return TDs all year - they just happen to be in the last few weeks and the coverage team has been very good. Will Monday hasn't been very good which is a more daunting concern.

And Switzer's big returns have all basically come the last two weeks - just like DeVon Edwards' big game, it's a sign he's a good player, not that he's the big threat to be worried about every game.

I'm more worried about controlling Williams - QB Runs have done a big # on us than Switzer by far. That's the big issue - that an Ebron.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I'm more worried about controlling Williams - QB Runs have done a big # on us than Switzer by far. That's the big issue - that an Ebron.
    Agree 100%. That was very maddening during the Wake game, I would expect a similar approach by Carolina.

Also agree re: Ebron, but knock on wood we have done reasonably well controlling the big explosion plays as Cut calls them. Time for Coach Knowles to bring the pressure and keep the containment. (Dude went to Cornell, I think he can figure out a plan)

BTW -- Ebron announced he is entering the draft after the bowl game, so this is his "senior" game.

I'm fairly confident Duke will prevent Switzer from running any back. Duke's given up I think all of 2 punt return TDs all year - they just happen to be in the last few weeks and the coverage team has been very good. Will Monday hasn't been very good which is a more daunting concern.

I definitely agree with the above. Both punts that were returned on us in the past couple of weeks were poor, line drive kicks by Monday, which gave the returner ample time to see the field and not enough time for our kick coverage to converge. Getting Will Monday back to booting the ball with solid hangtime will solve the punt return problem, imo.

punting

I was sitting directly in line with the punt that Miami ran back for a touchdown, and I remember saying, while the ball was in the air, "watch out" because it was so low and returnable. Will has been inconsistent this year - some of his kicks have been amazing (like the 66 yarder vs WF) but he also miI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s/shanks a good number. He seems to take a short (two step) approach and I think that increases his chances of error if he rushes (although it certainly makes his kicks harder to block, too). Lets hope we get the good kicks on Saturday, or better yet that our offense moves the ball so well that we don't have to punt.

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    I was sitting directly in line with the punt that Miami ran back for a touchdown, and I remember saying, while the ball was in the air, "watch out" because it was so low and returnable. Will has been inconsistent this year - some of his kicks have been amazing (like the 66 yarder vs WF) but he also miI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s/shanks a good number. He seems to take a short (two step) approach and I think that increases his chances of error if he rushes (although it certainly makes his kicks harder to block, too). Lets hope we get the good kicks on Saturday, or better yet that our offense moves the ball so well that we don't have to punt.

I think your post caused me to have a seizure. However, I understand what you're saying and agree completely. My reaction in the stands to that punt was the same

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Agree 100%. That was very maddening during the Wake game, I would expect a similar approach by Carolina.

Also agree re: Ebron, but knock on wood we have done reasonably well controlling the big explosion plays as Cut calls them. Time for Coach Knowles to bring the pressure and keep the containment. (Dude went to Cornell, I think he can figure out a plan)

BTW -- Ebron announced he is entering the draft after the bowl game, so this is his "senior" game.
    I swear to god, Knowles needs to bring the pressure more. It seems to always work when we bring 1-2 extra guys, but otherwise, ESPECIALLY EARLY in games, our D line gets like no pressure on the QB. It's not enough to get pressure in the 4th Quarter when you've worn out the O lineman, put it on them in the first half as well. And blitzers from certain positions can limit the QB's ability to scramble, which is a major problem recently (I'm a big fan of rushing an extra guy up the middle considering how often these QB scrambles occur up a hole right up the middle.

Carolina Delenda Est

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    In order to beat Duke, the Holes will need to STUDY film of Duke. Study and Holes are mutually exclusive. Go Duke
    Good point.

Beat The Cheat! Beat The Cheat!

GTHCGTH!

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    With so much at stake next Saturday, will UNC cancel all classes for their football players this coming week?
    No need.

There is no difference between canceling classes for UNC football players and keeping them, in terms of both workload and attendance.

Then again, it may free up time from doing other people's homework for the tutors.

Offense needs to score early and often

It will help the defense to contain a mobile QB.

Remember that Navy had to throw more, not their strong suit, when they fell behind.

I swear to god, Knowles needs to bring the pressure more...And blitzers from certain positions can limit the QB's ability to scramble, which is a major problem recently...
    This will be key on Saturday against Marquise Williams. Losing Bryn Renner for the season was a plus for Carolina's offense not because Williams is a better QB than Renner, he isn't, but because Williams is a better fit to run Fedora's offense. We must contain Williams from scrambling and I agree with you up the middle is a concern. I thought we had solved the weak middle issues experienced all too often in seasons past until Tanner Price exploited the middle of our defense last Saturday.

Bring the heat...

For the offense, will we see any new wrinkles on Saturday? I'll refrain from pointless speculation on what those wrinkles will be, but I firmly believe Coach Cut/Coach Roper will have something new in the playbook to throw at the Heels in order to catch 'em by surprise, keep 'em off balance, etc...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This will be key on Saturday against Marquise Williams. Losing Bryn Renner for the season was a plus for Carolina's offense not because Williams is a better QB than Renner, he isn't, but because Williams is a better fit to run Fedora's offense. We must contain Williams from scrambling and I agree with you up the middle is a concern. I thought we had solved the weak middle issues experienced all too often in seasons past until Tanner Price exploited the middle of our defense last Saturday.

Bring the heat...

For the offense, will we see any new wrinkles on Saturday? I'll refrain from pointless speculation on what those wrinkles will be, but I firmly believe Coach Cut/Coach Roper will have something new in the playbook to throw at the Heels in order to catch 'em by surprise, keep 'em off balance, etc...
    I'm curious what our pass/rush breakdown will be. From Navy through NC State, Duke, especially under Boone, was very pass heavy and minimized the RBs a lot. Then against Miami, the rush returned, and it was a big weapon early - though a lot less effective - vs Wake. Will we continue rushing on first in the first quarter? Or back to early passes?

Carolina Delenda Est