Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sorry to slightly change the subject, but when do they start digging out the track? Is it end of this year?

Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    Like you wrote, "In the Cut"...

And I believe that Duke can reach higher heights, but only one game at a time.

If Cut can continue to recruit great QB's and we can get get breakout receivers and talented players on both sides of the ball who have athleticism and football intelligence and heart, Duke Football can excel every year.

Assistant coaches must stay within the program, or if they leave, their assistants must be able to replace them for success to be perennial.
    You make a great point about assistants. Not to take any credit from Cut, who has done an incredible job, but he has been aided by the university's increased willingness to pay assistants, which has allowed him to hire and retain a great staff. After a season like this, I'm sure many other schools will be lurking to try to hire away our staff, and I'm sure some will leave for other opportunities. Hopefully Cut will be able to hire a new crop of great assistants to continue this success - based on his track record, I have full faith in his ability to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    George Welsh had some very good teams at UVA in the late 80s and 90s.
    IIRC, they had a habit of getting out to a hot starts, and then running into problems in November and their bowl game.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You make a great point about assistants. Not to take any credit from Cut, who has done an incredible job, but he has been aided by the university's increased willingness to pay assistants, which has allowed him to hire and retain a great staff. After a season like this, I'm sure many other schools will be lurking to try to hire away our staff, and I'm sure some will leave for other opportunities. Hopefully Cut will be able to hire a new crop of great assistants to continue this success - based on his track record, I have full faith in his ability to do so.
    Yeah this is one area (although I haven't loved his D assistants, this year notwithstanding) that Cut has my full faith on. Cut is legendary for his loyalty to assistants (He got fired from Ole Miss because of it!) and we've already had a few poached away. But that loyalty will bring other talented assistants to us as replacements. They'll WANT to come here, which is a good thing.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

George Welsh had some very good teams at UVA in the late 80s and 90s. I sorta find it hard to believe he never had a top ten team.

Welsh consistently had good teams, but never really had any great teams. Even his best UVa teams always seemingly managed to lose 3 or 4 games, which kept them out of the final Top 10.

His 1989 team, which won a share of the ACC championship (shared with Spurrier's last Duke team, though UVa beat Duke head-to-head that year) was 10-2 in the regular season, then lost to Illinois in the Citrus Bowl. Final AP rank: 18.

The next year, UVa reached #1 and held the spot for two weeks, before losing two of its last three regular season games (including a home loss on a last-second field goal to eventual national co-champion Georgia Tech) and losing to Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl. Final AP rank: 23.

His 1995 team had a bunch of future NFL players (Tiki Barber, Ronde Barber, James Farrior, Jamie Sharper, Percy Ellsworth, Patrick Jeffers, Anthony Poindexter...there may have been others that I just can't remember now), was the first ACC team to beat Florida State in conference play, tied with Florida State for the regular season ACC title (with a 7-1 conference record), but lost three non-conference games, all painfully. They lost the season opener at Michigan by one (18-17) when the Wolverines scored a fourth-down touchdown on the last play of the game. They lost at Texas by one (17-16) after Texas converted a 4th-and-10 on its final drive, then Phil Dawson kicked a 50-yard field goal into the wind as time expired. And in the regular season finale, they lost at home to Virginia Tech after leading for most of the game, only to see Virginia Tech go ahead by one on a TD with 47 seconds left (on a drive that featured, all together now, a 4th-and-10 conversion). Virginia did get the ball back, and drove to the Virginia Tech 41 with 6 seconds left. A quick completion to the sideline for five yards or so would've given Virginia a chance to kick a long field goal for the win -- but instead, Virginia QB Mike Groh (son of future UVa coach Al Groh) threw a pick that the Hokie defender ran back for a touchdown as time expired, to account for the 36-29 final score. UVa went on to beat Georgia in the Peach Bowl. Final AP rank: 16.

Quote Originally Posted by nyesq83 View Post
    If Cut can continue to recruit great QB's...
    What is your definition of great? Hopefully this doesn't come across harsh, but I'd argue Coach Cutcliffe has yet to recruit a great QB to Duke. Perhaps the success Duke is achieving this year will convince some 5-Star QB in the Class of 2015 to commit to Duke.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    What is your definition of great? Hopefully this doesn't come across harsh, but I'd argue Coach Cutcliffe has yet to recruit a great QB to Duke. Perhaps the success Duke is achieving this year will convince some 5-Star QB in the Class of 2015 to commit to Duke.
    This is an important idea and right on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Sorry to slightly change the subject, but when do they start digging out the track? Is it end of this year?
    This is an important point. Can't wait for Wallace Wade to be without the track. My friends from other schools have been tuning into Duke games all year thanks to yours truly, and they all comment on how embarrassing the track is.

"You guys play at a high school?"

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    This is an important point. Can't wait for Wallace Wade to be without the track. My friends from other schools have been tuning into Duke games all year thanks to yours truly, and they all comment on how embarrassing the track is.

I love the track!

I love that Wallace Wade Stadium is a multipurpose facility on campus. I love that, when the football team isn't there, you can go jog the track or, if you're a glutton for punishment, the stadium steps. I love that other sports compete there. I love that the cardiac rehab and obesity clinic patients are regularly there hoofing it around the track.

I know it makes Wallace Wade look like a small school football stadium, and part of competing on a championship level means having football facilities look like, well, Big University Football Facilities. But I'd hate to see the track go.

Sorry, just a old-guy nostalgia rant. If football success drives the university to getting rid of the track, moving to a new stadium, or converting Wallace Wade so dramatically that it doesn't look anything like the field I charged in 1989 when we took down Clemson, I guess I could live with that.

Better than, say, hiring a shady coach who brings in a notoriously shady recruiting Associate Head Coach, gets in bed with agents and (metaphorically speaking) academic tutors, and helps turn an entire academic department into a supply shop for fraudulent grades to keep academically unfit students athletically eligible...though, of course, that's an extreme hypothetical approach that NO self-respecting university would take.

Won't happen till 2015 apparently, due to a delay in other work.

Which is fine, because Duke's track team's new facility wasn't going to be ready until 2015.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I love the track!
    Having a track around a football field is like having volleyball lines on a basketball court. It shows that the program may or may not be around for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

Which is fine, because Duke's track team's new facility wasn't going to be ready until 2015.
    That's a bummer about the track/dig being postponed. I was watching the Miami game with a bunch of non-Duke fans, and I swore it was happening at the end of this season. They were giving me a TON of grief about the track.

Digging out the track also shows a major committment to the players themselves. Imagine showing up to a black-tie affair with an orange or light blue tux on.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

Man, really?! I thought it was starting this past Sunday, as in right after the year's last home game! I was telling all my friends, "hey man, Duke is serious about football now, the track is coming out tomorrow."

So probably two more seasons in a high school-looking stadium? sighhh

Man, really?! I thought it was starting this past Sunday, as in right after the year's last home game! I was telling all my friends, "hey man, Duke is serious about football now, the track is coming out tomorrow."

One more season. But I'm pretty sure the team gets to play either way, so it's hard to see why it makes much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    One more season. But I'm pretty sure the team gets to play either way, so it's hard to see why it makes much difference.
    It probably makes at least some difference in how recruits view the school.

Probably one more... work is now supposed to start after next season to be completed for 2015 season. Allegedly.

It tells the world we are moving beyond the 60's?

Maybe recruits start to see Duke's commitment, especially if we're good next year?

If Duke is good, more games will be broadcast to a larger audience?

Isn't it best to look good if you're trying to send a signal?

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    It tells the world we are moving beyond the 60's?

Maybe recruits start to see Duke's commitment, especially if we're good next year?

If Duke is good, more games will be broadcast to a larger audience?

Isn't it best to look good if you're trying to send a signal?
    Image is everything? Sure, why not.

Image is everything? Sure, why not.
    You're right. From what I've read, Coach K believes in showing up to recruiting visits wearing torn jeans and being pretty much unprofessional.

And the cars he shows up in are all Chevy Corsicas.

Meh, we have an indoor practice building - for those awful Derm winters. They'll deal with a track.

Apparently, the very wet summer put the new track behind schedule.

-jk