Thread: Spam

Spam

Solely for informational purposes - is there a way to sign someone you don't like up for massive amounts of email spam???

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Solely for informational purposes - is there a way to sign someone you don't like up for massive amounts of email spam???
    Awesome (insert diabolical laughter here).

-EarlJam

sure, just add their email addresses to a bboard just like this...

shammrog@dbr.com

Spambots love to scrape these boards to pick up email addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    sure, just add their email addresses to a bboard just like this...

shammrog@dbr.com

Spambots love to scrape these boards to pick up email addresses.
    Thanks!

But, I would think that might make it easy to track down the source? Maybe not...

Go to corporate websites like those of Pepsi, Coke, and magazines. Sign up for email notifications from them, using the other email address. It may be by now that sites of reputable companies like Pepsi and Coke require verification, but many of those sites do not.

Someone with an email address very similar to my office email ticked off someone who did that very thing. Unfortunately, the angry dude mistyped the email address (leaving out a mere "-"), and I was flooded for weeks.

I think that Yahoo! is perhaps the worst offender in selling email lists. I signed up for a Yahoo! groups list once, using an email address that I created specifically for that list (not even a Yahoo! address), and was flooded within days.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Thanks!

But, I would think that might make it easy to track down the source? Maybe not...
    Eh, depends on how much the offending party knows about you.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    I think that Yahoo! is perhaps the worst offender in selling email lists. I signed up for a Yahoo! groups list once, using an email address that I created specifically for that list (not even a Yahoo! address), and was flooded within days.
    Is it possible to sign up for a yahoo address, spend a few days harvesting spam, then have everything automatically forwarded to the intended spammee?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Is it possible to sign up for a yahoo address, spend a few days harvesting spam, then have everything automatically forwarded to the intended spammee?
    I think we have a winner! Though from my experience, Hotmail (it's still around right?) gets far more spam than Yahoo.