Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    based off what they are saying about Winslow, it sounds like he could be a viable replacement to Thornton (If not better offensively, and a lot taller) for next year.
    Justise will be much better than Tyler, if not next year, certainly by his sophomore year. But probably next year as well. While I am fond of Tyler, this is a different level of athlete completely. Something like a left-handed Andre Iguodala.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    It's funny how quickly disappointment can turn into to feeling pretty damn good.
    I wonder if Looney knew about the other 3 coming to Duke and wanted "space"

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I said this in the recruiting thread, but I think that Capel has become the heir apparent to K. With Dawkins struggling at Stanford, ...
    Johnny has a pretty good class coming in as well, 4 in the top 100, including Reid Travis, a top 35 PF that we offered. Good players who will probably be around for 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I was waiting someone to bring this up
    @AndyGlockner: So Kentucky is an NBA mill, but when Duke crushes a class, it's K showing he can still win recruiting battles?
    Are Tyus and Justise OADs? I'm not so sure. Can't call Rodney an OAD, he's been in college 3 years.

anyone have a video link to his announcement?
    DD
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I was waiting someone to bring this up
    @AndyGlockner: So Kentucky is an NBA mill, but when Duke crushes a class, it's K showing he can still win recruiting battles?
    I hope Glockner is just being contrarian and realizes the difference between UK and Duke. If all 3 of Okafor, Jones and Winslow are OAD or if players stop going to class b/c they are going pro (Orton and Bledose) or if fresh and soph who are barely 1st round picks or 2nd round picks (Orton, Lamb, Teague, Goodwin) go before they are truly ready then I'll start to see some similarities.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Coach K. going back to his military roots and breaking out the shock and awe tactics against the rest of the ACC.

So the average ranking of the men's and women's recruiting classes is 1.5. Not too shabby.

Time to finish the unfinished business from 1999 and win both championships in the same year.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I hope Glockner is just being contrarian and realizes the difference between UK and Duke. If all 3 of Okafor, Jones and Winslow are OAD or if players stop going to class b/c they are going pro (Orton and Bledose) or if fresh and soph who are barely 1st round picks or 2nd round picks (Orton, Lamb, Teague, Goodwin) go before they are truly ready then I'll start to see some similarities.
    There is a danger zone here. I would like Duke to have mostly four year players. Heck, Duke Football has five year players now

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    There is a danger zone here. I would like Duke to have mostly four year players. Heck, Duke Football has five year players now
    I'd like to compete for national titles with mostly four year players but that is not happening. I see a big difference between recruiting very good players that may go early if they "unpack their bags".
    We seem to target no more than one "sure-fire" one and done a year. It is likely that Parker and Okafor fit this bill. Jones might but Winslow is likely a multi year player.

I agree that recruiting too much top flight talent can turn a school into an NBA mill but I think Duke's current approach is still a long way from the "danger zone" that Calipari embraces.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Are Tyus and Justise OADs? I'm not so sure. Can't call Rodney an OAD, he's been in college 3 years.
    I guess most of us are in agreement that Okafor is a 1-and-done, but I think Jones very likely could be as well. Don't underestimate him because of his lack of size. He's probably about the same size as Trey Burke, but in my opinion, he's even more talented than Burke. And yeah, I realize Burke won player of the year as a sophomore. That should tell you how much I think of Jones.

Heck freaking yeah, go duke

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    No worries, there is a lively "Does Justise Winslow's addition to the 2014 recruiting class mean that Jeff Capel is the front runner to replace Coach K whenever he decides to step down which, does it really need to be said, we hope doesn't happen for a really really really really long time" discussion going on Reddit so it'll stay off these pages.
    If Capel is HC I think the more important question is who replaces him as big man coach?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    If Capel is HC I think the more important question is who replaces him as big man coach?
    Duh, Jon Scheyer.

I'd like to compete for national titles with mostly four year players but that is not happening. I see a big difference between recruiting very good players that may go early if they "unpack their bags".
    We seem to target no more than one "sure-fire" one and done a year. It is likely that Parker and Okafor fit this bill. Jones might but Winslow is likely a multi year player.

I agree that recruiting too much top flight talent can turn a school into an NBA mill but I think Duke's current approach is still a long way from the "danger zone" that Calipari embraces.
    The only program that is relying almost entirely on OADs is Kentucky. If Duke becomes the second such program, then there can be no more because the supply is limited. In any case, OADs tend to be boom or bust. I see little competitive disadvantage to spreading the eggs around a bit. But, what the hey, let's give it a shot

I tuned in for the HB, Parker, Shabazz and Looney announcements so you can all thank me for not tuning in for Okafor, Jones and Winslow. The only outlier is that I also tuned in for Amile but I think I must have gotten on DBR seconds after the announcement which probably explains the outcome. I'm going to ignore Turner's announcement so we can probably go ahead and count him in for 2014 too.
    Last edited by lotusland; 11-21-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Thad Lewis.

I haven't heard the young man's name pronounced, so I'm wondering where the stress goes. Is it homophonous with 'justice,' or is there final stress, jus-TISE? (Many AfAm given names have the stress on the ultima).

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

There is a danger zone here.
    Let's get Kenny Loggins on this.

Calipari's recruiting style lends itself to extreme roster fluctuation. He's always going to have elite talent, but it's hard to say whether or not those players will be able to function well as a unit. I hate the man with a passion, but I respect him immensely for what he is able to do year in and year out with basically an entirely new team every year.

It's too difficult to win a national title with only underclassmen. Even Michigan's Fab 5 couldn't get it done.

The only program that is relying almost entirely on OADs is Kentucky. If Duke becomes the second such program, then there can be no more because the supply is limited. In any case, OADs tend to be boom or bust. I see little competitive disadvantage to spreading the eggs around a bit. But, what the hey, let's give it a shot
    This is true, but UK's most successful teams had a lot more than just 1-and-done guys. UK's 2012 team featured a transcendent talent in Anthony Davis, but they still needed major contributions from guys who stuck around. Terrence Jones and Doron Lamb were sophomores, Darius Miller and Eloy Vargas were seniors. Their 2011 Final Four team had even more experience, with Miller and DeAndre Liggins as Juniors, and also a major contributor in senior Josh Harrelson. In retrospect, it's easy to see why their 2013 team flamed out so terribly after losing Nerlens Noel.

Still, I prefer Duke's strategy, which is to go after a few elite guys, but also make sure we get a steady diet of high character, 4 -star type guys who will stick around for 4 years. In reality, you need both to succeed. Elite 1 and done type talent and upperclassmen leadership. Most recently, our Duke teams have been swimming in talented upperclassmen, but we haven't landed the elite NBA All-Star type guys (or failed to keep them healthy) to create the perfect mix. This year and next, we might have created the winning formula.

Neither Jones nor Winslow looks likely to leave after one season. Okafor, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Let's get Kenny Loggins on this.
    I feel the need... The need for Sheed?

Justise is "just -is" important!

Quote Originally Posted by Philadukie View Post
    I think Winslow was one of the "hidden gems" of this class, to the extent that makes sense for a recruit of his ranking -- he hasn't received the same level of hype as some other players but he is equally worthy of it. He is supremely talented and has an NBA-ready body (as much as I hate that phrase). Huge get. HUGE.
    I agree with this -- and thought so based upon his USA performances.