Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    A lot of those are pretty benign. The only ones that seem "hater-ish" are Glockner and Gravley... Did Gravley complain when Cal landed Towns, who played on the Dominican national team that Cal coached? At least K coached a team whose country he's a CITIZEN of (and served for, as well).
    I don't think Gravley's tweet was hater-ish. Krzyzewski's work with USA basketball appears to have been a tremendous help here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I said this in the recruiting thread, but I think that Capel has become the heir apparent to K. With Dawkins struggling at Stanford, Amaker unsuccessful at Michigan and happy at Harvard, and Collins new to Northwestern, Capel I think is the best candidate of the 4. He had success at VCU and OU, and has been integral in recruiting in the past few years. I think unless something leads you to believe otherwise, Capel will be the HC after K retires.
    It's bad enough that we discuss next year's team with theis year not five games old, but who replaces K? I know he's got more games behind hmi than ahead (me too, sad to say!), BUT HE'S FAR FROM DONE.

And yeah, I know this is a Fan's Joint and it's fun to speculate, but this now doesn't seem like good form.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakane View Post
    It's bad enough that we discuss next year's team with theis year not five games old, but who replaces K? I know he's got more games behind hmi than ahead (me too, sad to say!), BUT HE'S FAR FROM DONE.

And yeah, I know this is a Fan's Joint and it's fun to speculate, but this now doesn't seem like good form.
    No worries, there is a lively "Does Justise Winslow's addition to the 2014 recruiting class mean that Jeff Capel is the front runner to replace Coach K whenever he decides to step down which, does it really need to be said, we hope doesn't happen for a really really really really long time" discussion going on Reddit so it'll stay off these pages.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Fantastic news. Assuming that Hood and Parker both go pro, we're looking at the following squad:

PG: M. Jones/Cook
    SG: Cook/Sulaimon/M. Jones/Allen
    SF: Winslow/M. Jones
    PF: Jefferson/Ojeleye/Murphy
    C: Okafor/Plumlee

If the trio of Jefferson, Ojeleye, and Murphy can hold down the PF spot defensively, then that is a team that appears to have a bit of everything: size, athleticism, shooting, ballhandling/playmaking, post scoring.

What a great week for the recruiting efforts!
    I assume you mean T. Jones as point guard. -- sage

Next year

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Even without Hood and Parker (and I think we should plan on not having either next year), that second unit looks good:

Cook/Sulaimon
    M. Jones/ Allen
    M. Jones/Murphy/Ojeleye
    Ojeleye/Murphy
    Murphy/Plumlee

I can't tell you all (and probably don't need to do so) how happy I am that we got these three guys. I've felt since last year that our best chance at title #5 would be next year if we could get those guys, as I do hold the belief that our lack of rebounding and interior defense will be our undoing against bigger and better teams. Hopefully these guys prove me wrong this year, but at least we now know that next year looks VERY promising to say the least.
    Pity that the Maryland Terrapins won't be in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    You missed the T again.
    No I didn't. T Jones will start.

Haters?

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    The haters are resurfacing.

When it happens, it makes me happy.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I don't know, those tweets were all pretty positive.

Whether the Capel affect, the Team USA effect, or some combo of both, the recruiting machine is in insanely high gear, 1997-99 gear. We are lucky fans.
    Read Glockner's multiple tweets again. Seems pretty hostile to me. These are supposed journalists. They have to suppress their real feelings somewhat.

No doubt we are back on the recruiting roll.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    A lot of those are pretty benign. The only ones that seem "hater-ish" are Glockner and Gravley... Did Gravley complain when Cal landed Towns, who played on the Dominican national team that Cal coached? At least K coached a team whose country he's a CITIZEN of (and served for, as well).
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    (or chesTnuts)

Jeff Gravley ‏@jgravleyWRAL 1m
    #Duke recruits Jones, Okafor & Winslow were on Team USA U17 World Champ Team in 2012. Think being USA coach is helping Coach K???

Andy Glockner ‏@AndyGlockner 5m
    K makes $9-10M a year. I'm not going to pretend Big Boy CBB is central to a grander academic mission, regardless of whether kids go to class

Andy Glockner ‏@AndyGlockner 4m
    It's his (and Cal's and Izzo's and Pitino's) job to get great players and win games within whatever guidelines the school proscribes.

Andy Glockner ‏@AndyGlockner 16m
    So Kentucky is an NBA mill, but when Duke crushes a class, it's K showing he can still win recruiting battles?
    Aside from Andy Glockner using "proscribes" when he means the opposite, "prescribes," I could have written any of these, and I am an unabashed K and Duke fan.

WRT hoops at Duke not being "central to a grander academic mission," i guess I agree, but it draws together the worldwide Duke community, which is aids the academic mission.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I assume you mean T. Jones as point guard. -- sage
    Yup. Flyingdutchdevil beat you to the punch already.

Quote Originally Posted by Eakane View Post

There is no reason we can't talk about this year, next year AND the future beyond Coach K. I mean, if we weren't able to multitask, why would there be an entire other board to distract us from our focus on this season?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    From an article on Winslow's time with Team USA last summer: "I think I can bring a lot of energy to this team. We have a lot of offensive threats and I can score, but I think I can really dictate the game with my defense and rebounding. I can bring a lot of energy to the court."

Smart player, good teammate, great guy. Can't wait to see Justise in Cameron Indoor!
    Stats from that U19 team: http://www.usab.com/misc/13_mu19_usa.pdf

Over 9 games, Justise was the 2nd leading rebounder (even more than Jahlil), 4th leading scorer, shot the most free throws on the team, and also pitched in 14 assists (to 7 turnovers), 4 blocks, and 10 steals. (btw, Sheed made it 3 Dukies on this team)

Duke landed a versatile stat sheet stuffer in Justise. Great day/week.

haha...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Early April in 1991, 1992, 2001, and 2010.

Also, I heard that there will be bigger weekends in early April 2014 & 2015
    I like where your heads at on that one. However, I was referring to Duke Football's monster win over Miami followed by it's National Ranking, then landing three of the biggest studs in the 2014 class for basketball...WOW, JUST WOW!!! Life is good as a Blue Devil right now

Has anyone else noticed that since Bomani Jones left Durham back in Late May (when he inked his ESPN deal) and moved to Miami - Duke has been coming up all roses? In everything... I wonder if HE noticed...

It started with Lacrosse... continued to football success - now basketball recruiting (and this yrs team is pretty good too!)

Who knew.?? He can be hilarious at times in small doses. If I'da known that's what it took, I'da help him look for a new place and helped him up pack the moving truck years ago.

I think Winslow was one of the "hidden gems" of this class, to the extent that makes sense for a recruit of his ranking -- he hasn't received the same level of hype as some other players but he is equally worthy of it. He is supremely talented and has an NBA-ready body (as much as I hate that phrase). Huge get. HUGE.

Glue guy

Justise seems like a fantastic "glue guy" -- can do a little bit of everything:
    Rebound, defend, pass, score (a scorer more than a shooter, I think), and compete hard.

And we need a glue guy to go with other players coming along.

Defense!

Justise likes defense, Coach K loves defense= minutes for players that can do it the Duke way. So I would think at least 3 of the incoming freshmen get lot's of minutes in next years rotation. Maybe Allen as well. But that's a ways off and I want to enjoy this 2013-2014 squad's journey. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Justise seems like a fantastic "glue guy" -- can do a little bit of everything:
    Rebound, defend, pass, score (a scorer more than a shooter, I think), and compete hard.

And we need a glue guy to go with other players coming along.
    Do you consider Michael Kidd Gilchrist to be a "glue guy"? If so, then I agree with you - Justise Winslow is a glue guy. But a glue guy who takes names and kicks something that rhymes with bass.

I have a feeling this is my next favorite Blue Devil in my young fan hood career (Duhon, JJ, Demarcus, Nolan, Sulaimon).

Go DUKE!

based off what they are saying about Winslow, it sounds like he could be a viable replacement to Thornton (If not better offensively, and a lot taller) for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Stats from that U19 team: http://www.usab.com/misc/13_mu19_usa.pdf

Over 9 games, Justise was the 2nd leading rebounder (even more than Jahlil), 4th leading scorer, shot the most free throws on the team, and also pitched in 14 assists (to 7 turnovers), 4 blocks, and 10 steals. (btw, Sheed made it 3 Dukies on this team)

Duke landed a versatile stat sheet stuffer in Justise. Great day/week.
    I believe that Sheed roomed with Winslow during the U19 tryouts. He gets a huge assist today.