Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 91, Vermont 90

Here come the Catamounts! Game is in Cameron on Sunday 11/24 1830 ET. Teevee is EspnU. Discuss here.

Vermont is always a well coached team. They can embarrass more talented but less prepared teams (hello Syracuse).

Having said that, some points: 1) Duke is vastly more talented, and Vermont simply doesn't have the size, speed or skill to keep up this year.
    2) Vermont is currently decimated by injuries, having only nine players dress in the last game.

These facts, in conjunction with Duke's less than stellar performance vs. ECU, tell me that it's not going to be a remotely close game.

Will the students be there or already left for Thanksgiving?

Quote Originally Posted by DownEastDevil View Post
    Will the students be there or already left for Thanksgiving?
    Tuesday's the last day of class before break. I imagine some students will leave for home early, but I'm expecting a better turnout than the last two games.

Friday-Saturday-Monday-Tuesday is a freakin' gauntlet for any Crazie/Wacko. I can barely stand or speak right now from sheer exhaustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Tuesday's the last day of class before break. I imagine some students will leave for home early, but I'm expecting a better turnout than the last two games.

Friday-Saturday-Monday-Tuesday is a freakin' gauntlet for any Crazie/Wacko. I can barely stand or speak right now from sheer exhaustion.
    Me, too. I can't imagine what it's like for some of the folks in the athletic department. Neither you nor I were trying to get to the NCAA tourney events on campus in other sports, but athletic department officials had their on their to do lists as well. I suspect the band is pretty exhausted today!

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post

Throw women's hoops on Thursday and Sunday into the mix and you've got one tired puppy. I don't think I've ever been to games at Duke on six consecutive days before.

What I'd like to see

I'd like to see very strong defense today, with lots of turnovers. Sounds like the Catamounts are offensively challenged, unfortunately. I'm also curious how our bigs do, particularly Amile and Semi.

Duke is favored by about 23.5 to 24 points. That's pretty close to the spread by which we were favored against ECU. And we saw how that went.

These teams don't come to Cameron just for the paycheck. An upset would make Vermont's season, and to be the first team since St. John's to win as a non-conference opponent against Duke at Cameron would mean even more. For a head coach, it can mean a big contract extension.

We should win this game handily, but there's nowhere to hide when you have a target on your back and a motivated shooter.

I'd like to see good fundamentals out of this game. Rebounding, free throws, and lock down defense forcing lots of UVt turnovers.

Duke by 25.

Vermount returns all five starters from a team that wins 20+ games every season (and they also have two more seniors coming off the bench - which makes five total for them). That is a TON of experience for a good, winning team. Much like Davidson and ECU, I expect them in the field of 68. This could be a very tough game for the Blue Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    Vermount returns all five starters from a team that wins 20+ games every season (and they also have two more seniors coming off the bench - which makes five total for them). That is a TON of experience for a good, winning team. Much like Davidson and ECU, I expect them in the field of 68. This could be a very tough game for the Blue Devils.
    And several of them are injured. They only have three frontcourt players now. This will not be a tough game, Vermont is so very small.
    (though I agree, they are always well coached and should be competitive once healthy).

Live tempo-based stats

Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Vermont, starters posted.

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame...Schedule=19905

DBR Chat is open. Let's go Duke!

-jk

Defense

Will definitely have to outscore teams this year, because the defense is absolutely porous. Not exactly confidence-inspiring.
    Last edited by slower; 11-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Will definitely have to outscore teams this year, because the defense is absolutely porous. Not exactly confidence-inspiring.
    I think was the goal, the NCAA wants more high-scoring games. That defense stuff is for sissies!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I think was the goal, the NCAA wants more high-scoring games. That defense stuff is for sissies!
    You may be right, but it still worries me.

Wait. Dino Gaudio just said Vermont is shooting 67%? That is atrocious defense, no matter how you want to spin it.

This team is going to struggle to win conference games on the road with this defense...home games too.

That was the worst defensive half I have seen Duke play in a long time. I was hoping we would make some sort of improvements from the ECU game, but I'm not seeing them. If we can't stay in front of Vermont, I don't see how we will stop anyone in the ACC. I love this team's offense, but we won't be going anywhere without defense, and I just don't see it right now.

Defense???

Just awful. Lots and lots of layups and WIDE open shots! Obviously, we have a while to improve but boy, do you we have a looooong way to go on the defensive end.

Our interior defense has been atrocious. UVt is shooting 67% from the field, and 13 of their 16 field goals have been in the paint. We, on the other hand, are shooting less than 50% but rebounding and shooting free throws well.

With good reason. Our defense has varied between mediocre and awful this year. Thankfully our offense has been great. Hopefully we get better defensively.