Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

The Official DBR Knitting/Crocheting Thread

Here it is. Ask for advice. Tell us about your latest project. Anything fiber related. And it's always fun to talk about cashmere.

I have too many projects OTN to list them all but here's what I've worked on in the past month

The 8 year sweater for my brother - almost done, have to knit the neckband and finish sewing it together. Annabel Fox yarn (discontinued) in size XXL.

Baby blanket for my new niece for Christmas - Baby Moderne pattern from Mason-Dixon knitting (love that book) in Valley Yarns cotton and one color of Rowan Calmer

Hat for my boss's son about to go off to Northwestern - Cascade 220 in a tweedy plum color, will finish this weekend.

The doctor scarves - I'm knitting a scarf for each one of my son's doctor's and his regular nurses too. I'm halfway through number 3 with 8 or 9 more to go. The first three have been in different colors of Jo Sharp's Silk Road Aran Tweed. I've started one more in a hand-dyed alpaca I got at Great Yarns in Raleigh on my last visit home so I actually have 2 OTN at the moment.

Next post, I'll tell you how to knit an 8 year sweater. ;-)

My current project is my second sweater. The first sweater took nearly three years. Wonder if that is anything like your eight year sweater? I'm using a mohair/acrylic blend thus am hoping this sweater will be done in a more timely manner so I can wear it this winter. Have the back panel done and am working on the left front panel. Had to rip out what I'd started as I realized that when I knit one of my stiches I didn't grab the whole yarn but rather a thread from the yarn. As I didn't like how tight the first few rows were I was "ok" ripping it all out and starting over.

My next project is to knit a sweater for my infant goddaughter. As her birthday is in December I'm hoping to have it done by then. I'm guessing knitting a sweater for a baby doesn't take as long as knitting one for and adult. Thoughts?

I taught myself to crochet a year ago...my (late) grandmother made me an afghan in Duke blue and white when I headed off to college so I made one for my daughter in her school colors. I'm debating what to take on next (sweaters in FL are not all that practical)...an eight year sweater...heck I have a ten year counted crossstich.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Sweaters?

Sweaters would be far too ambitious for me -- way too much attention to detail. I'm more of an afghan kind of girl. My hubby loves his california-king-sized, super-soft winter afghan though I usually 'borrow' it from him. It was too hot this summer to work on the belated wedding present for my brother, a cabled wool afghan, kind of reminiscent of an irish fisherman's sweater.

I like the bigger projects, because you can kind of get caught up into an easy pattern/rhythm, and go for rows and rows without having to do any pattern counting or the like. Great for keeping hands busy while TV-viewing (though my husband has to take over the DVR remote responsibilities -- otherwise too annoying to stop and do all the fastforwarding, etc. )

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I taught myself to crochet a year ago...my (late) grandmother made me an afghan in Duke blue and white when I headed off to college so I made one for my daughter in her school colors. I'm debating what to take on next (sweaters in FL are not all that practical)...an eight year sweater...heck I have a ten year counted crossstich.
    Windsor, you could crochet a short sleeve sweater or a light long sleeve. I tend to get free patterns from Lion Brand (http://www.lionbrand.com/). You can also check out free patterns from AC Moore (http://www.acmoore.com/) and Michaels (http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home).

Like DevilAlumna I find that some sweater patterns are a bit ambitious thus tend to stick to patterns that don't seem that difficult. Oddly enough my first sweater was ranked easy and my second sweater is ranked intermediate though I think it's the other way around.

Happy crafting!

Back pain?

Do any of you get any back pain when knitting/crocheting? As long as I've been knitting I've had issues with my back. Mind you I'm 5' so my feet don't reach the floor, thus when I'm knitting if I don't sit with my feet flat on the floor - prop myself up with pillows - I can build up a really good knot on the left side of my back. Course I can build up that knot even when my feet are flat on the floor. I've been told to knit for 30 min and take a break. Sometimes I'll knit with a heating pad on or lay on the heating pad before going to sleep.

Was wondering if you all have any muscle issues when crafting and what you do to deal with them.