Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Is anybody suggesting that we call our division-winning selves conference champions?
    Sorry -- I was making a joke up above that if we even tie for first in the division, whether or not we go to the ACCCG, we could do like Texas A&M and claim a conference title (See the 1997 and 2010 Big XII Conference Champion Texas A&M Aggies). Apologies, and carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Sorry -- I was making a joke up above that if we even tie for first in the division, whether or not we go to the ACCCG, we could do like Texas A&M and claim a conference title (See the 1997 and 2010 Big XII Conference Champion Texas A&M Aggies). Apologies, and carry on...
    Closer to home, see Carolina handing out rings for a division championship that their team wasn't even eligible for because of NCAA violations. That's bold, mighty bold... and almost perfectly ignorant. It's... The Carolina Way.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

That's what scares me

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Makes sense. Top 25 newbie looks ahead to UNC game and overlooks a trap road game against Wake Forest. I can see the appeal.
    Trap game.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Trap game.

SoCal

(Because Admiral Ackbar on a message board is so last century.)
    Last edited by brevity; 11-19-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Avoiding the appearance of being hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Trap game.

SoCal
    I agree with you; however, the team seems much too focused to fall into a trap. The staff and team captains will keep everyone on point this week.

Wake NG Nikita Whitlock is a beast so what strategy does the team employ? Run at him or away from him? Either way, we will have to double team him every play.
    Bob Green

It will be interesting to see what game plan the staff comes up with after our 358 yards rushing performance against Miami. Jela Duncan remains the team's leading rusher with 485 yards (5.3 yards per attempt) with Josh Snead right behind him at 480 yards (7.1 yards per attempt). The team has scored 23 rushing touchdowns and 18 passing touchdowns.

While I desire to see maximum touches for wide receiver Jamison Crowder because he will be the most explosive player on the field tomorrow, those touches must be set-up by the running game. Crowder is averaging 10.4 yards per carry himself so I wouldn't mind seeing him run the jet sweep again or perhaps an end around or reverse.

When you add in Shaquille Powell (5.8 yards per attempt), Juwan Thompson (5.0 yards per attempt) and two quarterbacks with the ability to run the ball, it becomes obvious Duke is a formidable run team so let's go out and dominate Wake's defense by pounding away at them with the running game.
    Bob Green

Yeah I'm nervous for tomorrow's game as well. Wake Forest seems to have a strong defense. Their NT Nikita Whitlock is a beast, but our run game doesn't seem to run off-center too much with more off-tackle runs. Hopefully we can get a steady ground game going and hit them with play-actions over the top to Jamison Crowder.

Just got my ticket, what is the tailgating scene looking like for this game? Any recommendations for which lot to park in?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Just got my ticket, what is the tailgating scene looking like for this game? Any recommendations for which lot to park in?
    Not going to the game, but as a Winston-Salem area resident, I should tell you that the personnel handling traffic at Wake games often seems inept and slow. Give yourself a little extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I know when I went back in 09 to BB&T for the game, we just parked in one of the ball lots - Wake didn't even have any fences or anything keeping cars out or ensuring charges for parking.

-----

I'm also very nervous for this game. Wake's D is definitely solid and the run game won't be as successful as against Miami. Any QB mistakes - ala NC State - will be very dangerous.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Wake's D is definitely solid and the run game won't be as successful as against Miami.
    I sure no one is expecting another 358 rushing yards; however, we did rush for 123 yards and four touchdowns in last year's win so I still maintain the path to success starts with the ground game.
    Bob Green

As of Friday morning, Duke was a 5.5 - 6.0 favorite here in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I sure no one is expecting another 358 rushing yards; however, we did rush for 123 yards and four touchdowns in last year's win so I still maintain the path to success starts with the ground game.
    Well I meant not to expect another 200 yard + game.

Amusing note...Wake blog Blogger so Dear has their preview up: http://www.bloggersodear.com/2013/11...cons-cutcliffe. This is the second straight week an opposing preview of our D has completely ignored Ross Cockrell.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Well I meant not to expect another 200 yard + game.
    I will agree with you there. We average ~ 185 yards so that is the best over/under.
    Bob Green

I will agree with you there. We average ~ 185 yards so that is the best over/under.
    As Josh Snead quoted Cut after the Miami game, I too hope we can "call it and haul it."
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Game previews showing up in all the usual places:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/d...orest-preview/

Look for Duke’s young secondary to add to their growing total of interceptions, as Tanner Price and his young receivers again struggle without their star senior.
    http://duke.scout.com/2/1349460.html

Blue Devil WR Jamison Crowder versus those Wake Forest corners will be one of the better games-within-the-game of the afternoon. Crowder has next-level talent, lagging behind only Clemson’s Sammy Watkins in ACC receiving yards.
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.Uo-52uI4uSp

Someone different has stepped up every game this season to make plays that have helped Duke's cause. Last weekend it was quarterback Brandon Connette, who matched a school record with four rushing touchdowns and in the process, became the school's all-time leader in the category (29). He also threw a touchdown pass in the win.
    http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/co...57&feedID=3894

Wake Forest (4-6, 2-5) under Jim Grobe has always been a tough out, and with a week off to reassess the offense without star receiver Michael Campanaro, the Demon Deacons are going to be a formidable opponent for Duke this week.
    I'm anxiously anticipating a good football game where Duke has a solid opportunity to secure their ninth win on the season. It will not be easy as Wake Forest will be motivated to hang on to their slim bowl eligibility hopes. Without resorting to listing the obvious things such as turnovers, penalties and in game injuries, here are my Duke centric keys to the game:

1. Duke must survive a punch-in-the-mouth from Wake Forest! I expect the Demon Deacons to play inspired and create some success, so how Duke responds to in game adversity will be critical to the final outcome.
    2. Duke must contain Wake's star players. The Blue Devils are more talented than the Demon Deacons, but Wake has very talented players on both sides of the ball such as QB Tanner Price, NG Nikita Whitlock and RB Josh Harris. Duke cannot allow one star player to lead Wake Forest to victory with a career day.
    3. Duke must be methodical on offense. Duke has a lot of weapons with multiple ways to employ those weapons. This is not a game to try and do too much or to get cute. Duke will be best served by formulating and executing a straight forward game plan which emphasizes running and passing.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    As Josh Snead quoted Cut after the Miami game, I too hope we can "call it and haul it."
    This, to me, was one of the most impressive things about the Miami victory. Cut and the boys basically didn't even try to disguise the fact that we were going to try to run the ball right at Miami throughout the second half, and the 'Canes couldn't stop it anyway.
    I think this bodes well for Wake and beyond. The Deacs do have a respectable defense, but they won't have the bodies or talent up front that Miami has.
    Looking further into the future, I love this new ability to play a ball control type of offensive game plan. While we've got the best talent right now that we've had in a loooong time, we're not generally going to be overwhelming people with athleticism week in and week out. Grind-and-pound is a nice way to maximize our abilities and minimize whatever shortcomings we may possess.

This is the second straight week an opposing preview of our D has completely ignored Ross Cockrell.
    Unfortunately, QB Tanner Price and the Wake coaching staff are not going to ignore Cockrell. They will know where he is at all the time. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the requirement to pay total attention to Cockrell diminishes the opponent's ability to focus on our other secondary players who have proven themselves over the past several weeks.
    Bob Green

Unfortunately, QB Tanner Price and the Wake coaching staff are not going to ignore Cockrell. They will know where he is at all the time. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the requirement to pay total attention to Cockrell diminishes the opponent's ability to focus on our other secondary players who have proven themselves over the past several weeks.
    The lack of mention of Cockrell is definitely surprising, but I take home two points about it:

1) Hopefully Cockrell notes his lack of mention and is ticked.
    2) Our defense has enough playmakers now that Cockrell may actually get overlooked. How awesome is that?

I suspect that Ross will be tested by the Wake offense early since he was gimpy at the end of the Miami game.