Thread: Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor

I saw Lone Survivor at kind of a premiere special showing.

I thought it was great.

I was able to concentrate on the movie despite sitting a few seats from Charlize Theron. She can crawl over me anytime.

After the show they had a panel. Mark Wahlberg went off, which was also great.

In all seriousness, see the movie.

SoCal

I have heard great things about this flick. Many say it is easily Mark Whalberg's best acting performance of his career (not a super0high bar to clear). I am eager to see it.

But I want to point out something that appears to be monumentally stupid about the marketing. The trailer and the other marketing tell the story of a group of US soldiers who get trapped in a fight with a huge group of Taliban. We see the guys working together trying to make it out of this sticky situation. Will they make it?

...Yet the movie is titled Lone Survivor!!! Really?!?! Doesn't the title completely give away what happens in the movie?!?!

-Jason "don't answer that last question because I would love to be surprised, but I found the title and the marketing to be utterly disconnected" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Title

While I know what you mean, the movie is based on a book with the same title. The book is a memoir written by the survivor.

We all knew how Apollo 13 turned out but many still think it was a great movie. Same with Captain Phillips.

You need to read the book(which I have not) or see the movie to understand
    1. Why the mission failed.
    2. Why he survived.

If you don't have it already you will come away with a profound respect for those that serve. You will also be thinking about and questioning some pretty important issues.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The trailer and the other marketing tell the story of a group of US soldiers who get trapped in a fight with a huge group of Taliban.
    Actually they are U.S. Navy SEALS not soldiers. LT Michael P. Murphy was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions and a ship, the USS Michael Murphy DDG 112, has been named in his honor.

I've read the book, written by Marcus Luttrell, and highly recommend it.
    Bob Green