A Dukie Near the Top of the CIA -- Women's Hoops!

Here is an article on women in the CIA, which features Sue Gordon. Sue is director of Support and slated to be the head of cyber intelligence. Anyone remember her?

Money quote:

I was selected to go to an assignment in the field that involved some physical exertion,” she said. “We went into a small room, and there was a suitcase sitting in the corner. There were four of us, three guys and me. And they said, 'Pick up that suitcase,' to me."

Gordon, a 6-foot former power forward on the Duke University women’s basketball team, picked up the suitcase, and said, “What?”

“And then [one of the men] said, 'Can you carry it up five flights of stairs with 70 pounds of equipment on your back?' And I said, ‘I'm pretty sure I can.’ And he said, 'Well, OK.' And I'm like, 'Are you gonna ask the guys?' And he's like, 'No, I'm pretty sure they can.' I'm like, 'No way. Fred no way can carry that upstairs'."
    sagegrouse

Some More Sleuthing re the CIA

I couldn't find a Sue Gordon on the list of women's basketball letter winners, but then I realized -- aha! -- she may have a married name or even a nom de guerre (I have no idea what that means but I like to drop it into posts).

There are five hoopsters named "Sue" or "Susan" on the Duke rolls: Sue Monroe of Washington, DC is the most plausible candidate -- letter winner in 1979 and 1980, who played in 50 games, starting two and averaging about a point and rebound per game.

The other listed "forward" is Susan Weeks of Clayton, MO, who played in 1985. There are also C Sue Harnett (1987-89), G Sue Leonard (1979), and G Susan Brandau (1992-1995).

sagegrouse
    'A team picture would help'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I couldn't find a Sue Gordon on the list of women's basketball letter winners, but then I realized -- aha! -- she may have a married name or even a nom de guerre (I have no idea what that means but I like to drop it into posts).

There are five hoopsters named "Sue" or "Susan" on the Duke rolls: Sue Monroe of Washington, DC is the most plausible candidate -- letter winner in 1979 and 1980, who played in 50 games, starting two and averaging about a point and rebound per game.

The other listed "forward" is Susan Weeks of Clayton, MO, who played in 1985. There are also C Sue Harnett (1987-89), G Sue Leonard (1979), and G Susan Brandau (1992-1995).

sagegrouse
    Which "Sue" was 6' tall?

-jk

sagegrouse
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Which "Sue" was 6' tall?

-jk
    Stop it! You'll blow her cover!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Which "Sue" was 6' tall?

-jk
    I plowed somewhat quickly through the Women's Media Guide, and I came up with a list of letter winners and each player's scoring summary. There may be more,....... Be my guest.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Stop it! You'll blow her cover!
    easure-may in inderblocks-cay

Ex-Carolina hoops players are staffing the African satellite offices, what with the Swahili and all. Part of their cover is that they act like they really don't know the language.

Since her middle initial is M and she has been with the CIA 25 years, I would go with Sue Monroe. Guessing she didn't start out at the CIA when she graduated. Her degree was in Zoology (Biomedical).

sagegrouse
    It's not Sue Weeks. She's a doctor in the Durham area.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    It's not Sue Weeks. She's a doctor in the Durham area.
    That's just what they want you to think!

-jk

Her secret is out--and How!

Susan Monroe Gordon.

Fun reviving an ancient thread for someone who has always been at the top of whatever game she plays. And there is more here.

And now the CIA aspect of her career, mentioned in the thread title, is well behind her. Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence is about as important a post in the intelligence community as there is.