View Poll Results: Who will win the coveted 12th spot for the chase?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kurt Busch: Currently 12th

8 61.54%
  • Dale Earnhardt Jr: 158 points out

3 23.08%
  • Ryan Newman: 175 points out

0 0%
  • Greg Biffle: 317 points out

1 7.69%
  • Someone else, please identify

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NASCAR: Who will win the coveted 12th spot for the chase?

With just two races remaining in the Race for the Chase the only real question is who will win the coveted 12th spot. Kurt Busch currently holds the spot but Jr, Newman, and Biffle are hanging on.

Are they too far back to overtake Busch and bump him out?

Junior!!! I want Junior in the 12th spot.

But I'll take anyone over Kurt Busch. One Busch in the chase is actually one too many, but two...don't want that!!

Put me down for "likes Kurt Busch."
    I liked him even before he inherited the mantle of my late, beloved Rusty Wallace.
    He will not only claim the 12th and final spot in the Chase, but he will win the final Nextel Cup (before it becomes the much more appropriately named Sprint Cup next season). You heard it here first.

kurt busch has wins at California and Richmond in his career - that experience coupled with the lead he has puts him as the favorite for that position, at least in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Put me down for "likes Kurt Busch."
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    kurt busch has wins at California and Richmond in his career - that experience coupled with the lead he has puts him as the favorite for that position, at least in my book.
    You two have a point (she said in an exasperated, defeated tone) and Busch will probably be in the #12 spot. But it doesn't mean I like it.

Tilly - why the disdain for the Busch clan?

Tilly - why the disdain for the Busch clan?
    I think they arrogant and self-serving. Kyle Busch leaves the track while his crew is working on his car. Jr. was asked to drive the #5 car in his place. Kurt damn near ran over one of Tony Stewart's crew members. This is just a few of the reasons I don't like the Busch's.

They are talented, but their egos are too big for their britches.

Ricky Bobby will.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Ricky Bobby will.
    He doesn't need to qualify anymore...they just ink him in at the beginning of the season.

What about Magic Man? (Shake and Bake, baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    I think they arrogant and self-serving. Kyle Busch leaves the track while his crew is working on his car. Jr. was asked to drive the #5 car in his place. Kurt damn near ran over one of Tony Stewart's crew members. This is just a few of the reasons I don't like the Busch's.

I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that he was told he was done for the day, and that his team got crapped out for letting Jr drive the Hendricks car.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    What about Magic Man? (Shake and Bake, baby!)
    My money's on El Diablo - it's like, Spanish for fighting chicken with those claws.

I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that he was told he was done for the day, and that his team got crapped out for letting Jr drive the Hendricks car.
    I hadn't heard that. If true, puts a whole new spin on things. Though knowing Hendrick has always had a fondness for Jr I find it hard to believe he would be peeved that Jr drove the #5.

Couldn't agree more...Unfortunately, though, Kurt is pretty hot right now and I'm afraid he will most likely keep the 12th spot.

Who cares???!!! As one who loves MOST sports with passion...PLEASE tell me why anyone would enjoy cars racing around in circles for hours. seriously, I don't mean to demean...but I truly am clueless as to why this is a 'sport.' I can understand one attending such an event -- good BBQ, great tailgating/beer/nice bonding.... but watching on TV. Sorry I JUST DON'T GET IT.

I love basketball, football, soccer, tennis, golf, softball, all Olympics, Xtreme sports, skiing, skating, bowling, or whatever... but cars????

Please help me understand the growing support of this sport! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Who cares???!!! As one who loves MOST sports with passion...PLEASE tell me why anyone would enjoy cars racing around in circles for hours. seriously, I don't mean to demean...but I truly am clueless as to why this is a 'sport.' I can understand one attending such an event -- good BBQ, great tailgating/beer/nice bonding.... but watching on TV. Sorry I JUST DON'T GET IT.

I love basketball, football, soccer, tennis, golf, softball, all Olympics, Xtreme sports, skiing, skating, bowling, or whatever... but cars????

The same critique could be leveled at any sport..."I just don't get it". Some of the Xtreme stuff to me is more like kids doing stunts. Guys on bicycles on half pipes? Where is the sport in that? (Don't get me started on rhythmic gymnastics, do they still have that in the Olympics?)

Or is it that the sport is there are a bunch of you, all trying to do something better than the other?

Have you ever driven one of the faster go-carts on a track? If not, give it a shot some time(and beware the kids that go flying right by you, it took me awhile to catch up to them). Granted it is likely a mini road course, but being the fastest one out there takes skill. The same is true on an oval track.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 08-31-2007 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Darn, I forgot by posting I wouldn't be Christian Laettner any more.

Would you watch a car race if it was not on an ellipse? This is what Infineon Raceway (formerly known as Sears Point) in Sonoma looks like:

I'm going to guess your answer is still no, but figured I'd ask. I don't watch NASCAR at all, and I don't particularly follow any races, but road courses like Infineon interest me more, and I actually watched (on tv) and enjoyed some parts of the race held there this year.

P.S. I'm the only one who voted for Biffle, who I know doesn't really stand a chance, but hey, he's a Ford guy IIRC Jr is on the Hendrick team now, which means I hate him by association. (teh Hendrick dealership in Cary sucks)
    P.P.S Another reason I'm not a fan of NASCAR may be the cars. "Stock" car racing is a funny term, considering how little the race cars resemble the stock cars they're supposed to be based off of. Hell, if it wasn't for the stickers you probably can't tell them apart!
    Last edited by hc5duke; 08-31-2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: p.s. p.p.s.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    P.S. I'm the only one who voted for Biffle, who I know doesn't really stand a chance, but hey, he's a Ford guy IIRC Jr is on the Hendrick team now, which means I hate him by association. (teh Hendrick dealership in Cary sucks)
    P.P.S Another reason I'm not a fan of NASCAR may be the cars. "Stock" car racing is a funny term, considering how little the race cars resemble the stock cars they're supposed to be based off of. Hell, if it wasn't for the stickers you probably can't tell them apart!
    1. Ford guy, ugggghhh. Ford? How could you? We finally were able to get the top guy at GM...and you want to like Fords? I buttered Rick up when I had a chance to meet him, but I don't work for GM or the part that they sold to Cerberus anymore.

2. Jr. won't move to Hendrick until next season. Still racing for DEI until the end of the season.

3. Yeah, the cars are generic, only the stickers do set them apart.

PS I used to live on the north side of Charlotte(a mile+ from the Hendrick shop) and worked in Mooresville for years. I saw the drivers all the time, used the same machine shops, etc. Been through more than a couple of the actual team shops. So, yes I am a fan.

You've got to experience it first hand.

I used to feel the same way until my father-in-law invited me to go see some Saturday night racing at Orange County Speedway (NC) in the late 80's. I got hooked. For about two years, I was at either Orange County Speedway or South Boston Speedway (VA) every Saturday night from April to September. It was at these tracks that I first saw Jeff and Ward Burton driving in the Late Model series. About twice a year, the Busch Series came to Orange County. That's where I got to see Dale Jarrett and some other of today's Cup stars paying their dues. Eventually I visited Martinsville, Charlotte, Darlington and even kept reserve seating at Rockingham for 6-7 years for Cup races.

After a while the exitement wore off and I quit going. Today I rarely watch a full race from start to finish. I tend to channel surf while races are on tv and just tune in to see how some of my favorite drivers are doing. If I'm lucky I may see the end of the race. Part of my current dissatisfaction is with NASCAR itself. I believe that NASCAR (France family) exerts too much control over the sport. I don't believe that the family which governs the sport should be able to own the tracks they race on. This dsipute between Sprint/Nextel/Nascar and RCR/AT&T has become a fiasco. Like politics, it's all about power and money. I've become fairly indifferent to NASCAR.
    Tom Mac

I predict

You two have a point (she said in an exasperated, defeated tone) and Busch will probably be in the #12 spot. But it doesn't mean I like it.
    Don't worry, if Jr doesn't make the chase this year next year NASCAR will expand to 15 teams.