Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    What I hope happens:
    -Because it's really early in the year, one team may get blown out (and odds are Kansas may)
    -Amile gets a double-double and is the MOTM
    -Cook proves to be a top 5 PG in the country during this game

What I think will happen:
    -Hood will go off for 20+ points
    -Rasheed will come in with a massive chip on this shoulder and absolutely shut down Wayne Jr.
    -Our 5s can't successfully guard their opposing 5, leading to a significantly higher proportion of Kansas points in the paint
    -Wiggins nor Jabari will not be the best player on the floor
    -We will shoot at least 30 free throws
    -Coach K does NOT go to Wiggins to personally congratulate him (Coach K does with with a lot of really good opposing players, but Wiggins won't be one of them)-There will be at least 1 intentional foul, especially with all the breakaways

What I know will happen:
    -With all these ridiculous athletes on the floor, there will be at least 1 play that is played over and over again on Sportscenter.
    -Duke will win. But not with ease.
    I can't see any scenario short of unsportmanlike conduct from the young man that would keep Coach K from consoling Mr. Wiggins after game. After all, Coach K is representing USA Basketball as well as Duke, and Wiggins is by most accounts certainly going to be offered a spot on the Olympic Team one day.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    TexHawk -

Duke guarded the 3-point area against Davidson and played small for a third of the game. It is safe to assume that Duke will play small at least some tomorrow night. What would Self's response be with Embiid and Black, to sit them and respond with Ellis at the 5 and Wiggins at the 4? Or does he go with the odd matchups and hope to exploit Duke in the paint?
    KU's 3 games this year have been on ESPN3, so I have not been able to see every possession. I do not recall seeing a "small" lineup with Wiggins at the 4, I could easily be wrong though. Maybe they have been holding that package back for the Duke game, but I highly doubt it.

"Wiggins at the 4" was a hotly contested topic all summer amongst the lunatic KU fan fringe. Basically, half think that Self would be crazy to put his best asset in the paint too much, and the other half think he'd be a great mismatch against certain teams.

To answer your question: I have no idea. But Self is a pretty flexible coach, so I wouldn't be surprised if he tries it over a few possessions, just to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeAlumBS View Post
    I am kind to people...

Just so dummies such as you, can make rude comments...

Slower, you have no clue. You are not a gentleman.
    MEMO TO: Kettle
    RE: Darkness

Why does Embid come off the bench if he's so spectacular a pro prospect? Does Kansas bury its promising big men? Embid doesn't like to set screens?

But seriously, has he not learned the system well yet? Too raw yet? Are Black, Traylor, and Ellis all better than him at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Why does Embid come off the bench if he's so spectacular a pro prospect? Does Kansas bury its promising big men? Embid doesn't like to set screens?

But seriously, has he not learned the system well yet? Too raw yet? Are Black, Traylor, and Ellis all better than him?
    All of the above.

Being a pro prospect does not equate guaranteed playing time. Dion Waiters came off the bench at Syracuse. Russell Westbrook backed up Darren Collison at UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I can't see any scenario short of unsportmanlike conduct from the young man that would keep Coach K from consoling Mr. Wiggins after game. After all, Coach K is representing USA Basketball as well as Duke, and Wiggins is by most accounts certainly going to be offered a spot on the Olympic Team one day.
    I don't think flyingdutchdevil meant K would ignore Wiggins -- I took it as a prediction that K would not personally take Wiggins aside after the game to compliment/congratulate him. An example of K doing this was after the Battle 4 Atlantis championship game last year, when he pulled aside Peyton Siva and Russ Smith for what was reported to be an R-rated conversation during which K was full of praise for the two players.

Also, Wiggins is Canadian, so he won't be playing for Team USA in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post

But seriously, has he not learned the system well yet? Too raw yet? Are Black, Traylor, and Ellis all better than him at this point?
    Embiid played 16 minutes in the 1st exhibition. 15 in the 2nd. He played 11 against ULM, with foul trouble (but he shot 12 free throws!). That's about in line with what other freshman post players averaged in their first seasons. Sasha Kaun, Darrell Arthur, Morris (X2), Cole Aldrich, Thomas Robinson, and Jeff Withey all came off the bench when they got to Lawrence. There have always been more experienced guys ahead of them in the rotation. By the time January rolls around, Embiid may not be starting, but I bet he will have the 2nd most mpg among the big men (behind Ellis). Bill Self has started many freshman perimeter players (Rush, Henry, McLemore), but very few post players. Marcus Morris eventually started as a freshman, but it took him half the season to get there.

Embiid is just dripping with promise, but most KU fans have come to grips with the fact that we won't see most of it in Lawrence. He had a sequence in the 2nd exhibition game where he put up a gorgeous right handed baby hook one time down, and the next possession he put up the exact same hook, but left-handed. It was beautiful. You can see where the Olajuwan comparison comes from. Unfortunately, he was caught out of position defensively several times, which plants you on the bench next to Coach Self.

Quote Originally Posted by wk2109 View Post
    I don't think flyingdutchdevil meant K would ignore Wiggins -- I took it as a prediction that K would not personally take Wiggins aside after the game to compliment/congratulate him. An example of K doing this was after the Battle 4 Atlantis championship game last year, when he pulled aside Peyton Siva and Russ Smith for what was reported to be an R-rated conversation during which K was full of praise for the two players.

Also, Wiggins is Canadian, so he won't be playing for Team USA in the future.
    Thank you for articulating what I could not. This is exactly what I meant.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hey, Dukie in Brasil: I read in the paper today that Brasil has English language schools on every street corner in preparation for the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics. Is this true? I never found a place in South America where English could be easily used (never been to Guyana -- hah!). Would you offer us some comment, maybe in the OT Forum, of Brasil's prep for the World Cup and your astute observations?

sagegrouse
    Sage,

here's my relatively uninformed futebol analysis re: Brasil's World Cup chances: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...373#post675373

and yes, English language training has ramped up big time. I wouldn't say that English is easily used in Brasil, but in cities with lots of foreign tourism (ie., most World Cup host cities in Brasil) most hotels will have someone who can reasonably be helpful.

Point spread up SORRY

Spread up to 5 now.

My "apologies" to the forum I get out of hand. Very intense fan, and take things to heart.
    Let it be.

I truly feel Hood will be a better match up with Wiggins.
    I am hoping to see him play him.
    I feel the 3 is going to be a factor to our advantage. One of the sports columns has us winning by 10.
    I think we will do a Davidson on them and win by 7!
    Have nice day gentlemen
    Jimmy

Did anyone notice Amile making angry layup faces in the 2nd half against Davidson? He was, I think, upset that he picked up two quick fouls, had to sit, and couldn't get into the flow of this game til late in the second half when he went on his garbage time angry face layup buckets binge.

I think Amile will be very motivated to bounce back from that Davidson game to give us something really good against Kansas.

I don't think we need a heroic rebounding performance from him (although that'd be nice). Against big teams, I've sort of conceded the rebounding battle, but it'll be okay because I expect Duke to be great in so many other areas. And Amile can play a part in that. I think he can face up some of Kansas' big men and drive by them for layups or fouls. I think he can switch onto and sometimes hedge/trap onto a perimeter player and surprise them with his length and quickness, causing a turnover. I think he can cut into seams in the defense and convert layups when one of our talented creators drives and dumps the ball to him. I concede the rebounding but I don't concede that we lose the overall battle at the 5. Amile's a good player and I hope/think he shows his goods tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Did anyone notice Amile making angry layup faces in the 2nd half against Davidson? He was, I think, upset that he picked up two quick fouls, had to sit, and couldn't get into the flow of this game til late in the second half when he went on his garbage time angry face layup buckets binge.

I think Amile will be very motivated to bounce back from that Davidson game to give us something really good against Kansas.

I don't think we need a heroic rebounding performance from him (although that'd be nice). Against big teams, I've sort of conceded the rebounding battle, but it'll be okay because I expect Duke to be great in so many other areas. And Amile can play a part in that. I think he can face up some of Kansas' big men and drive by them for layups or fouls. I think he can switch onto and sometimes hedge/trap onto a perimeter player and surprise them with his length and quickness, causing a turnover. I think he can cut into seams in the defense and convert layups when one of our talented creators drives and dumps the ball to him. I concede the rebounding but I don't concede that we lose the overall battle at the 5. Amile's a good player and I hope/think he shows his goods tonight.
    I was thinking the same thing last night. I'm hoping the Kansas game could be a breakout game for Amile.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The implied statement that Team USA would offer Wiggins a spot would be quite surprising, as Wiggins is Canadian...

That being said, I too would be shocked for Coach K not to speak to Wiggins post game.

My prediction

We win this game fairly easily for a game of top 5 opponents. Duke by 11+
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation

Eamon Brennan attempts to scout tonight's game. He says for Kansas to win Wiggins will have to dominate. He also says Parker and Wiggins will guard each other.

I think for Kansas to win, their front line will have to dominate the paint and help control the pace. I also think with Embiid/Black splitting the 5, Ellis at the 4 and Wiggins at the 3, Wiggins and Hood will more than likely match up with each other than Wiggins and Parker. Brennan also calls Dawkins a junior. Get this guy a research assistant...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The implied statement that Team USA would offer Wiggins a spot would be quite surprising, as Wiggins is Canadian...

That being said, I too would be shocked for Coach K not to speak to Wiggins post game.
    I would be surprised if Coach K did, especially if Wiggins doesn't produce. If Tarik Black goes for 16 & 12 and Wiggins only 8 & 3 (all hypothetical, of course), I'd be shocked if Coach K doesn't go to Black first (and then possibly Wiggins).

Coach K only has a few precious moments, and we'll go to established, well-deserving players rather than players who are all the hype coming into school.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Eamon Brennan attempts to scout tonight's game. He says for Kansas to win Wiggins will have to dominate. He also says Parker and Wiggins will guard each other.

I think for Kansas to win, their front line will have to dominate the paint and help control the pace. I also think with Embiid/Black splitting the 5, Ellis at the 4 and Wiggins at the 3, Wiggins and Hood will more than likely match up with each other than Wiggins and Parker. Brennan also calls Dawkins a junior. Get this guy a research assistant...
    I don't think Parker and Wiggins will guard each other exclusively. I expect to see multiple players on Wiggins, including Hood and Parker, and maybe Jones and Sheed.

I would be a bit surprised to see Parker guarding Wiggins. I know that he did so in the high school all-star games, but he has a different role on this team. Parker has, through 2 exhibitions and one game, played defensively primarily (though certainly not exclusively) against the opposing team's biggest player. If that trend continues, I'd expect Parker to spend quite a bit of his time guarding one of Kansas's bigs.

Unless Kansas goes small and puts Wiggins at PF, or unless Coach K decides to put Hood on a PF/C, I'd expect Parker not to guard Wiggins very often. And unless Self decides to put a big guy on Hood, I'd be surprised to see Wiggins guarding Parker either.

Comment Mark Godfried makes about Parker and Hood nice read

I got the USA today magazine as one of a few I read college journal. There is a quote by NCSU Coach Mark Godfried and he states "There is a lot of attention around Jabari Parker. Wait until you see Rodney Hood. He is that good" I thought this was kind on his part! That was a motivator for me.
    OK ground zero. Rodney Hood will school Wiggins. He has a plan to!
    Change my points. Back to Duke by 20!

I have to get another bottle of Glenlivet. Mine is half mast. It is my six shooter.
    Duke!
    Have a nice day gentlemen
    Jimmy

For my sanity, I might take Kansas and the 4 ½ points. That way, if Duke loses, I at least have the consolation of making money. If Duke wins by more than 4 points, I'd be happy to have paid the price. And if Duke wins by 3, I get ice cream and the cherry on top. If I don't bet the game, and Duke loses, I'll just be depressed.