Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    A big victory that ensures a winning season, a very good crowd, outstanding Tailgate festivities with roast pig, wings, beans, potato salad, pumpkin cheese cake (I ate too much), it was an absolutely great all day long event. I'm looking forward to the Miami game already.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I can explain the TO on the KO with 3:30 left. The ref talked to one of the NCSU return men and then the State guy counted and they only had 10 guys on the field so they had to burn the TO to get the 11th guy out there. Still not smart on their part. And they pride themselves on their engineering school.
    Well, they did count accurately.

Just wanted to say congratulations to this Duke program. That starts with Coach Cutcliffe and each of his assistants, through the players and support staff, through their families, through the Administration, and through all the diehard fans that have followed this program through it all.

To have two off-weeks on offense, and to be 2-0 through those games, is the sign of a good program, not just a good team.

Let's keep it rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
    Boone has a bigger skill-set, but Connette is making better decisions right now. And our offense doesn't need a world beater quarterback, just someone who can get the ball to Crowder, facilitate the run game, and keep the defense honest with his arm every now and again. I hate the idea of benching Boone, but I think you have to go with Connette next week.
    I'm going to have to disagree. Both made some pretty bad errors. Boone's "error" count was higher (made up stat), but he also played more snaps. Connette fumbled the ball at the tail end of a 25 yard run, at one point ran left, then spun around almost without looking and lobbed the ball back to where the RB was supposed to be, almost leading to an interception, and was on the whole, just as inneffective as boone was. THey each had a couple drives where they effectively moved the ball, but my goodness, there must have been a 15 minute stretch in the second half where we didn't get a first down! In fact, I'm not making this up!

3rd Quarter: at about 14:30, we got a first down then

12:44 Punt
    7:17 Punt
    1:41 fumble <this is where connette came in
    14:43 punt
    11:12 punt
    9:00 we get a first down!

almost 19 minutes of futility!

either way, connette's drives were still pretty bad, here they are
    3 plays, 31 yards, fumble
    3 plays 0 yds punt
    3 plays 5 yards punt
    6 plays 26 yards punt
    8 plays 79 yards TD
    3 plays 6 yards punt

I'd only classify one of those as worth it's salt...the TD one...the rest were exercises in frustration as we barely moved the ball

for comparison, boone's drives were as follows:
    5 plays 90 yards TD
    10 plays 29 yards INT
    3 plays 3 yards punt
    3 plays four yards punt
    3 plays 8 yards FG
    5 plays 23 yards int
    5 plays 13 yards punt
    3 plays 0 yards punt
    1 play INT

Each QB had a single good drive, and a bunch of really bad drives...I'd argue that boone was more affected by drops than was connette, even if both had a share...we've seen a lot of both QBs this year, and they both at times make some pretty bad decisions.

My vote is with boone...I think his performance ceiling is much higher...he has a stronger arm that connette (not a chance connette completes that 75 yard pass, IMO...he just can't get it out that far, and the receiver usually has to come back to the ball, eliminating any YAC), and bringing connette off the bench throws teams for a loop...since the game plan is much less standard than it is with boone.
    April 1

Dare I ask what happens if we win out? Would we really play FSU for the ACC title? This is insane but I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    Dare I ask what happens if we win out? Would we really play FSU for the ACC title? This is insane but I love it.
    We need a little bit of help - specifically, Clemson beating Georgia Tech - but if that happens, yes.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

One of the best things about yesterday: State fans have to live with it for SEVEN years. The next Duke-State game is in 2020.

we don't play state for 7 years? that's insane…
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I have nothing but love for our Pack friends.

Last nite was date night.... so I missed watching a lot of the game to remain happily married. :-)
    After dinner we walked by the bar and I caught the score late in the 4th - Connette and Duke were driving after after State took the lead. BOOM Duke came back and made a score when they HAD to have it. (nice change) I was into the drive. After Thompson's burst, I must have been outwardly cheering more loudly than I thought as 2 pack fans reminded me I was in Raleigh and in "State Territory"..

I told them I was born in Durham and couldn't help myself... 'sides, Duke was entitled to a decent football season once every 40yrs.. They begrudgingly agreed Duke was overdue and admitted they liked Cut and thought he was doing a great job as HC. We had one thing in common "ABC" and he wished us well against UNC and for the rest of the year.. Just then the 1st pick6 happened and his tone changed and I got the impression he regretted admitting any inkling of respect for Duke aloud. To ease his pain I told him "We are still Duke and if there's a way to lose this game we'll find it.." and then left. In the car we tuned in just in time to hear about the 2nd pick6... I knew my 2 boys 8 and 11 were going nuts watching the game at home.
    We had left the house at halftime.

We are on an interesting journey. Normally we DO find ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... We dont get points when we needed them most, and if there was a flukey series of amazing plays they usually went against us NOT FOR us...

We aren't the best team in the world. But we do seem to have the requisite toughness and a will to win - that makes us vastly improved and competitive. Thats a really neat feeling. Also the confidence and expectation to win are very much welcome.

I'm going to kick back and really enjoy this ride where ever it takes us.
    Its awesome. It reminds me of the feelings I had back around 83-84 when K's teams were taking shape.

All this recent attention can only help us build on the recruiting trail... amazing days...

Quarterbacks

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree. Both made some pretty bad errors. Boone's "error" count was higher (made up stat), but he also played more snaps. Connette fumbled the ball at the tail end of a 25 yard run, at one point ran left, then spun around almost without looking and lobbed the ball back to where the RB was supposed to be, almost leading to an interception, and was on the whole, just as inneffective as boone was. THey each had a couple drives where they effectively moved the ball, but my goodness, there must have been a 15 minute stretch in the second half where we didn't get a first down! In fact, I'm not making this up!

3rd Quarter: at about 14:30, we got a first down then

12:44 Punt
    7:17 Punt
    1:41 fumble <this is where connette came in
    14:43 punt
    11:12 punt
    9:00 we get a first down!

almost 19 minutes of futility!

either way, connette's drives were still pretty bad, here they are
    3 plays, 31 yards, fumble
    3 plays 0 yds punt
    3 plays 5 yards punt
    6 plays 26 yards punt
    8 plays 79 yards TD
    3 plays 6 yards punt

I'd only classify one of those as worth it's salt...the TD one...the rest were exercises in frustration as we barely moved the ball

for comparison, boone's drives were as follows:
    5 plays 90 yards TD
    10 plays 29 yards INT
    3 plays 3 yards punt
    3 plays four yards punt
    3 plays 8 yards FG
    5 plays 23 yards int
    5 plays 13 yards punt
    3 plays 0 yards punt
    1 play INT

Each QB had a single good drive, and a bunch of really bad drives...I'd argue that boone was more affected by drops than was connette, even if both had a share...we've seen a lot of both QBs this year, and they both at times make some pretty bad decisions.

My vote is with boone...I think his performance ceiling is much higher...he has a stronger arm that connette (not a chance connette completes that 75 yard pass, IMO...he just can't get it out that far, and the receiver usually has to come back to the ball, eliminating any YAC), and bringing connette off the bench throws teams for a loop...since the game plan is much less standard than it is with boone.
    I mostly agree, but you have to give credit to Connette for leading the most important (and game winning) drive - including carrying it in from the 5 on third down. Boone may have better arm strength, but Connette has shown his is fine too, and lately he has been a better runner.

There were lots and lots of big plays.

But let me bring up one that seems to be overlooked.

Third quarter. State returns punt for score and ties game at 10.

Boone quickly intercepted. State takes over at Duke 15.

State picks up first down at Duke 5.

Be honest here. What were you thinking? Something along the lines of State gets TD and the wheels come off? Fun while it lasted? We still have basketball?

Instead, Kenny Anunike nails Shadrach Thornton for a four-yard loss. First and goal at the 5 becomes second and goal at the 9. A huge difference for a team with erratic quarterback play.

State has to settle for the field goal, the bullet was dodged and the wheels stayed on.

That play, IMO, was as big as any play of the game.

Anunike is one of my favorite players. Multiple knee surgeries, two injury redshirts, more visits to rehab than we can count and here he is, playing the best ball of his career.

It should also be noted that Anunike has a degree from Duke in Biological Anthropology and Anatomy and is working on a master's in Liberal Studies.

Kudos.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 11-10-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There were lots and lots of big plays.

But let me bring up one that seems to be overlooked.

Third quarter. State returns punt for score and ties game at 10.

Boone quickly intercepted. State takes over at Duke 15.

State picks up first down at Duke 5.

Be honest here. What were you thinking? Something along the lines of State gets TD and the wheels come off? Fun while it lasted? We still have basketball?

Instead, Kenny Anunike nails Shadrach Thornton for a four-yard loss. First and goal at the 5 becomes second and goal at the 9. A huge difference for a team with erratic quarterback play.

State has to settle for the field goal, the bullet was dodged and the wheels stayed on.

Anunike is one of my favorite players. Multiple knee surgeries, two injury redshirts, more visits to rehab than we can count and here he is, playing the best ball of his career.

It should also be noted that Anunike has a degree from Duke in Biological Anthropology and Anatomy and is working on a master's in Liberal Studies.

Kudos.
    Agreed on all points — that goal line stand was absolutely huge, and in the shadow of the well-deserved attention surrounding DeVon, it's gone unnoticed.

They couldn't handle the D.

Take away the one big NCSU pass play - which DeVon Edwards screwed up on, and I think we can all agree he more than made up for that - and the Duke defense played nearly perfectly. Most (all?) of the other scores came as a result of Duke's offense or special teams.

So weird that we're having our best season in decades with a mediocre passing game.

Kudos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Agreed on all points — that goal line stand was absolutely huge, and in the shadow of the well-deserved attention surrounding DeVon, it's gone unnoticed.

They couldn't handle the D.
    Cut also stated in his press conference, IIRC, that DeVon had a 4.0 gpa in high school as well.

We are smart, fast, and getting better. Lots to like.

(And agreed, that stop was key -- as was the 4th and inches that State went for in the first half and was stopped. The line played great. And, as Cut also said in his press conference IIRC, at one point he looked out and our secondary had five freshman (either redshirt or true). This is not a one trick, one shot pony we've got here).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cut also stated in his press conference, IIRC, that DeVon had a 4.0 gpa in high school as well.

We are smart, fast, and getting better. Lots to like.

(And agreed, that stop was key -- as was the 4th and inches that State went for in the first half and was stopped. The line played great. And, as Cut also said in his press conference IIRC, at one point he looked out and our secondary had five freshman (either redshirt or true). This is not a one trick, one shot pony we've got here).
    I mentioned that to our group at some point in the second half I think. I guessing Fields, Edwards, Borders, McCarthy and Singleton must have been our defensive backfield at the time though it's tough to imagine that Cash was not out there, too. I know Cockrell did not play and I'm not sure Norman did either. I did hear Young-Wiseman's name called a couple times for tackles. That is a very young, talented group.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Based on what they have accomplished against who they have accomplished it Connette is the obvious choice. How anyone could think otherwise after the past two games is beyond me. It might be the wrong choice, but it's an obvious choice (practice performances only seen by the coaches not with standing).

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Based on what they have accomplished against who they have accomplished it Connette is the obvious choice.
    you're right...we should just forget a non-memorable outing against GT, a 4 INT effort against PITT, and instead only consider his 1 successful drive yesterday, and the single pass he threw to reeves in the flat against UVA that happened to turn into a TD

I'm curious, what exactly has he accomplished and against whom?

Look, I love what he's done for the team this year. I love what he brings to the team when he comes into the game. Do I think one can make a case for connette to start? sure...but to say that he is the "obvious" choice, and that it is inconsiderable for boone to start is just....inconsiderable...

both QBs had some ups and lots of downs yesterday. The coaches could feasibly go with either one. I like boone, you like connette...let's not pretend that the other's position is invalid...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    One of the best things about yesterday: State fans have to live with it for SEVEN years. The next Duke-State game is in 2020.
    Is that for real?
    That's just crazy.

A Victory!

you're right...we should just forget a non-memorable outing against GT, a 4 INT effort against PITT, and instead only consider his 1 successful drive yesterday, and the single pass he threw to reeves in the flat against UVA that happened to turn into a TD

Look, I love what he's done for the team this year. I love what he brings to the team when he comes into the game. Do I think one can make a case for connette to start? sure...but to say that he is the "obvious" choice, and that it is inconsiderable for boone to start is just....inconsiderable...

both QBs had some ups and lots of downs yesterday. The coaches could feasibly go with either one. I like boone, you like connette...let's not pretend that the other's position is invalid...
    Well, neither have played great, but Boone has been down right terrible the last two game. For us to beat Miami, the one Cut chooses better play better than just average. Boone to me, has more talent, but is making some very poor decisions. And the receivers haven't helped either QB with those drops. I trust Cut to make the best choice in order for us to win a very big game against Miami. GoDuke!

Connette did indeed throw four picks against Pitt. He also threw for four touchdowns and ran for two more. He was the only quarterback for a team that scored 55 points against a likely bowl team.

Connette threw for 324 yards and three touchdowns and ran for two more in a 38-31 win over Troy. Pretty sure Duke needed all five of the touchdowns he accounted for. Connette also led Duke back from a 14-14 tie against Memphis, after Boone went down with his collarbone injury.

If we're eliminating Connette for the four interceptions against Pitt, shouldn't we eliminate Boone for seven picks in two games?

Which would leave Duke in pretty dire straits.

Boone has been very good at times this year. So has Connette. Boone has been pretty shaky at times this year So, has Connette.

Duke has five days to figure it out and it needs to get figured out. But I don't think it's all that clear cut. I suspect the starting nod could go either way and more strongly suspect we'll see both until such a time as one guy plays well enough that we're not having this debate.