Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    I know some may find this a little premature, but with the VT and Miami almost over, it seems to me that Duke at 7-2 with a win in Blacksburg are more than deserving of being ranked in the top 25. Talk amongst yourselves
    Perhaps.

Beat Miami and move to 9-2: definitely.

Would not be surprised to be in top 25 if, for nothing else, to hype the game with Miami next weekend.

I know some may find this a little premature, but with the VT and Miami almost over, it seems to me that Duke at 7-2 with a win in Blacksburg are more than deserving of being ranked in the top 25. Talk amongst yourselves
    While if I had a vote I'd vote for Duke but I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't get in. They'll get votes, more than 1 and 11 respectively but they did need some late game heroics to beat a pretty poor NC State team. Still they do deserve some consideration. I won't be surprised if they do get ranked, but I'm thinking they have to beat Miami. Small concern though. Beat Miami and we start talking ACC Title game.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    I don't mind the call on 4th & 6 inches, down 7 on your 30. It's an extremely high-percentage play. Problem is, you don't bring out your offense, then switch out the punt unit, then call a timeout, then run a friggin' tailback handoff. All you need is a QB sneak, or direct snap to the fullback if he's too skinny / hurt. Say what you will about Roper and our QBs, I'm glad I don't have to watch indecisiveness.
    Plus the delay of game when they had the punt /go choice a second time.

Plus the clock management issues at the end of the half.

And the haphazard shuffling of quarterbacks.

Really strange coaching decisions by the Pack all night. And I am being polite.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I noticed that and pointed that out to the group with us. That was sweet.
    they gave students t-shirts saying "you can't handle the D" (fence symbol underneath the D)
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    The Magic Man himself DeVon Edwards http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/m...n-of-the-hour/
    Thanks for sharing the video. What a delightful young man.

So . . . Who starts against Miami?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    they gave students t-shirts saying "you can't handle the D" (fence symbol underneath the D)
    they looked a tad like this...very appropriate, considering how the game went
    1393501_10152344945080410_1321647319_n.jpg
    April 1

I'll be driving from Norfolk to catch the Miami-Duke game this weekend. I'm a fan of both teams, but I'm pretty sure I'll be pulling for Duke this time around. I think even Miami fans knew that the Canes were a giant fraud, and now that they're down Duke Johnson (and presumably Phillip Dorsett), their talent level has taken a huge hit. Not to mention Stephen Morris has been limited all season by an ankle injury.

Duke can definitely win this game and I expect the betting line to be close to even. As for Top 25? I think Duke gets there if they win next week, but not before.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So . . . Who starts against Miami?
    It'll be Boone. Like I mentioned above, we have one precedent where the QB played poor and the backup led the team to victory (09 Thad/Renfree against Army) and the starter was back in next week.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    It'll be Boone. Like I mentioned above, we have one precedent where the QB played poor and the backup led the team to victory (09 Thad/Renfree against Army) and the starter was back in next week.
    I agree, but for different reasons.

boone should get the nod, he's the better QB, even if that wasn't the case tonight. tonight was as bad as he's ever looked, and it was exacerbated by the dropped passes early. they'll work all week, help him get his head back on straight, and don't be surprised if we throw out connette for a few series just to change things up.
    April 1

There are no Coastal teams that deserve to be ranked in the top 25. OTOH, there are a whole bunch in the top 50. Glad to be one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

boone should get the nod, he's the better QB, even if that wasn't the case tonight. tonight was as bad as he's ever looked, and it was exacerbated by the dropped passes early. they'll work all week, help him get his head back on straight, and don't be surprised if we throw out connette for a few series just to change things up.
    His QB rating tonight was 8.7 on the espn box score.

His QB rating against VT was 8.1 so that's pretty darned close to as bad as he's ever played. We'll call it a draw. And we won both games. Astounding.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    His QB rating tonight was 8.7 on the espn box score.

His QB rating against VT was 8.1 so that's pretty darned close to as bad as he's ever played. We'll call it a draw. And we won both games. Astounding.
    that's 8.7/10, right?
    April 1

that's 8.7/10, right?
    Don't think so. Got my #s from here:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332990259

and here:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=333130150

Boone has a bigger skill-set, but Connette is making better decisions right now. And our offense doesn't need a world beater quarterback, just someone who can get the ball to Crowder, facilitate the run game, and keep the defense honest with his arm every now and again. I hate the idea of benching Boone, but I think you have to go with Connette next week.

Incredible! Edwards just had the performance of the week. Not just for Duke, nationally. And really you could argue for the whole year. 3 non offense touchdowns in one game is simply unbelievable.

PS: I've been hammering in the Phase posts how it's important for Duke to have a #2 and/or #3 WR option our QBs can rely upon. Today was yet another example of what I mean: Deaver had a crucial drop and was invisible for most of the day, McCaffrey and Blakeny were ALSO invisible, etc.

WR by committee sounds nice until you realize that means after Crowder you have a bunch of guys your QB isnt sure who among them he can trust on each play.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Devon Edwards' 100 yd KO return ties 13 others for longest KO return in ACC history. Wonder if he'll get any ACC and national awards for his performance yesterday.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...fbmg134146.pdf

Gotta scroll down a bit to find this stat.

connette

Conette should start at qb. He energizes the team He gets off his passes and hits his holes ahead of the defense. His td run was impressive and needed after taking the team 80 yards for the lead.
    Boone has thrown 7 interceptions in 2 games and has been qb for many 3 and out possessions. A poor performance at vt was overlooked because of victory.
    It is great to see Duke finding ways to win and the home crowds are growing. Fans who have a positive experience like yesterday are likely to return.

I'm just amazed at the success this Duke team can have without good QB play.

In recent years, for Duke to win, it generally required the QB and receivers to have a big day and huge numbers.