Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 38, NCSU 20 (woot!)

Keep on rollin'!

-jk

3:31 Connette Rushing TD

3:21 Edwards INT TD

3:05 Edwards INT TD

Wow!

Sooooo ESPN COLLEGE GAMEDAY at Duke next week for Duke-Miami??????

on second thought, it might be a bad thing to show unrenovated Wallace Wade to the whole world

Exciting final few minutes for both Duke fans and gamblers.

Spread was Duke -10.5. Over/under was 57.

That turned from a crap game to an awesome one in the fourth quarter. Great job by the D.

Very entertaining reading watching PP self-flaggelate: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f...t=12289515&p=1

That was awesome!

Wow!! Things started looking shaky, poured a cocktail and the entire game broke open. I pledge to start libations much earlier next time. Edwards is The Man!!

Game ball goes to our defense. Really saved the game when the offense kept turning the ball over, forcing punts and turnovers. Huge plays by Devon Edwards (pick-12) and our offense for two drives. Connette to lead that TD drive with 3 mins left when we were down 20-17.

We won this game without Russ Cockrell playing a snap. Our secondary is in great hands for the next couple years. They're young, have good size, and are crazy athletic and getting a lot of experience now. Fields, Borders, Edwards, are all freshmen.

Huge game next week when Miami comes to town. If we want to have a chance against them, we need to play a near-perfect game. No more of this 4 turnover business.

Great fun! I was a tad distracted by the unis, lots going on there, but GO Devils GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Huge game next week when Miami comes to town. If we want to have a chance against them, we need to play a near-perfect game. No more of this 4 turnover business.
    We will beat neither Miami nor UNCheat with the offense we've had the last two games. I am hoping somebody will find a way to give Boone a confidence transfusion in the next week.

One thing I have to agree with PP on: the State coaching was at times inscrutable today.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesInLA View Post
    Wow!! Things started looking shaky, poured a cocktail and the entire game broke open. I pledge to start libations much earlier next time. Edwards is The Man!!
    Ernie Jackson recall. Duke finally making its own breaks- so unlike the past. xxx+ years. Doing it without great talent but they do believe.

They made me a bit nervous for most of the game but what a fun ending! Great game for #27 DeVon Edwards. I like that the team never gave up.

Devon Edwards

I remember reading where Coach Cut said he something like he would recruit players that he thought were better than their rating.
    Devon Edwards was a 2 star. Looked like a 6 star to me today.

Great game to watch. Love it that I am getting Duke football games in LA.

SoCal

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    In years past, we would have been the ones making the bad decisions, throwing two straight pick-six. For the third game in a row, when we had a chance to fold, we held on, and pushed forward. This is a real football team now.

Obviously, things to work on regarding the offense. I wonder if Boone came back too soon, and is struggling with his shoulder/collarbone injury. Some really poor passes throughout the game. The running game had some problems with the State D-line stuffing the box a lot more than other teams. The passing game getting back to where it was would help open up that.

The crowd was great. I had a State fan watching on TV from California send me a message about how electric the crowd seemed. Not quite full, but close, and as mentioned, a lot more blue than red compared to past games with the Wolfies. Let's bring it again next week, since there won't be anywhere as many Cane fans as the Pack brought.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    That turned from a crap game to an awesome one in 26 seconds. Great job by the D.
    Fixed it for you.

Gone in 26 seconds?

Prior to that though, QB play was killing us. That has to be fixed in a hurry. Need Anthony to get his head back on straight to finish out the season strong.

Getting to 7 wins is huge for the program though. Another milestone for the program and team. Let's go get more boys!

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    In years past, we would have been the ones making the bad decisions, throwing two straight pick-six. For the third game in a row, when we had a chance to fold, we held on, and pushed forward. This is a real football team now.

Obviously, things to work on regarding the offense. I wonder if Boone came back too soon, and is struggling with his shoulder/collarbone injury. Some really poor passes throughout the game. The running game had some problems with the State D-line stuffing the box a lot more than other teams. The passing game getting back to where it was would help open up that.

The crowd was great. I had a State fan watching on TV from California send me a message about how electric the crowd seemed. Not quite full, but close, and as mentioned, a lot more blue than red compared to past games with the Wolfies. Let's bring it again next week, since there won't be anywhere as many Cane fans as the Pack brought.
    also some really poor dropped balls that certainly didn't help his confidence...I saw some really bad decision making rather than poor execution as the reason for the INTs
    April 1

This game was eerily similar to a game in 2009. Duke went to Army - a bad team at the time, and Thad Lewis was benched for Sean Renfree. Renfree got Duke up in the final moments, and then CB Leon Wright made back to back pick sixes to make the game a laugher in the final 2 minutes.

Renfree didn't start the next game, and I expect Boone to start vs Miami.

I can't say enough good things about the D, although I wish that we blitzed a lot more than we did: our blitzing seemed to work every time and we put little pressure on their QBs otherwise. Against other teams it's probably not a good idea, but with NCState's QBs, it seemed like a smart plan.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    also some really poor dropped balls that certainly didn't help his confidence...I saw some really bad decision making rather than poor execution as the reason for the INTs
    Some really bad dropped balls with receivers hit in the numbers...at some bad times.

Change of Heart?

My original post, composed in my head in the middle of the fourth quarter, read something like: "This is the Duke Basketball Report, and basketball is the reason I linger here. I am not mentally equipped for the swings and disappointments of Duke football. Our offense has been horrendous the last two games; it is a miracle we beat VT and that we still have a chance against State. It isn't worth it to get emotionally invested in Duke football. Therefore, this will be my last post about a Duke football game."

Now I have some different thoughts:

1. Football can be tremendously exciting. 21 points in 35 seconds! Holy cow! Nothing like that in basketball or baseball. Go Duke.

2. I am totally psyched about going with Connette the rest of the season. Please, Coach, please?

3. DeVon Edwards can't be real, can he? Where did this guy come from? Duke scores 38 points and a player not on offense is responsible for 21 of them. Holy macaroni! Is there anything like this performance in the annals of Duke football?

4. Ya see, guys, if you have a good defense ya' always have a chance to win. I just never thought we'd get to test the hypothesis at Duke during my lifetime. The Duke defense gave up three points on four turnovers; Duke scored 17 points on four State TOs. State's offense produced only ten points when not aided by a TO. (How did we go from one of the worst defenses in Div IA to one of the better ones in just a single year?)

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I don't think Boone's issue is confidence. If anything, he was too confident. After the easy score, he started assuming guys were open rather than reading the play. State got him twice with the linebacker underneath. The other int wasn't a bad decision as much as a bad throw.

The drops by normally dependable receivers like Deaver and Crowder were baffling.

More baffling was ncsu's coaching. Going for it on 4th inside their own 30 only down 7? Musical quarterbacks? Playing the "passing" QB when the "running" QB should have been in? Abandoning the run after gashing the Duke D over and over? Particularly inside the red zone? Three straight bombs to the same guy in a row? (Granted the 3rd worked)

The timeout on kick return with 3:30 left in the game and down just 4 when you need to conserve time outs?

And state fans thought Tom O'Brien was bad... That fanbase reaps what they sow.