Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    not sure why "bad fall" is in quotes, as that is not what coach k said. he said he didn't have a good fall or something like that. why use quotes if you are going to put something in there that wasn't said?
    Agreed. Quotation marks are like capitalization. It's good to use them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Quotes, like capitalization, can sometimes be loosely used or not.
    Maybe quotes are like our friend "literally," as in, they can either refer to their definition or the exact opposite of what you should be able expect.

/groan

Missed last night's game due to scheduling conflict. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Quotation marks are like capitalization. It's good to use them correctly, but not essential to make a point.
    disagree strongly. misquoting someone is very different from using caps incorrectly (as i've done in this post). i actually read that quote and was surprised to read that Coach K had used those words. then i watched the video and learned that he actually hadn't used those words.

K actually raised the question of Sulaimon and the non-existent doghouse about five minutes into the post-game and then re-raised it at about the 12-minute mark. Luke DeCock was not the target of the second, more-pointed comments. In fact, my sense was that K's comments were not limited to a particular person or outlet but rather a more general perception of the way he runs his program and the way he interacts with his players.

In the first of the two segments, K said that Sulaimon "has not had a good fall."

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Maybe quotes are like our friend "literally," as in, they can either refer to their definition or the exact opposite of what you should be able expect.

/groan

Missed last night's game due to scheduling conflict. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Go Duke!
    I think you are on to something here. Being old school, I agree with freshmanjs that quotation marks should be used to, well, quote people--and any departure from their exact words should be clearly indicated with brackets or ellipses.

But there is an increasing incidence of off-label use of quotation marks, including to serve the same function as air quotes--i.e., to suggest irony or cast some doubt on what is being said. This might lead to the use of quotation marks precisely to indicate that the words are NOT the exact words of the quoted person but an approximation. If this use catches on we are in a ball of confusion.

Sulaimon: "My range extends to the dog house".

Note that the use of quotes does not actually attest this statement to Sulaimon.