Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    The sandwich for Verlander might be a better return than what the Tigers got for Fister. Yes, the Nats just pulled the most lopsided trade of the hot stove season.

In non-contender news, the Rockies traded Dexter Fowler to the Astros, so he will continue to be a fine player for a bad team, but now I can't regularly complain about his poor defensive effort in person, so I don't know how I feel about it.

The Rays picked up Heath Bell and Ryan Hanigan in trades, so I expect those guys to blow up this year.
    I know a lot of people feel that way about the Fister deal, but underestimate Dave Dombrowski at your own peril. He's very keen on the young lefty they got in return
    from the Nats...I've followed Dombrowski's career for a long time, going back to his Expos days, and he's a very astute judge of talent. We'll just have to wait and see.

He was widely ripped for getting rid of Curtis Granderson...and he ended up with Max Scherzer (and Austin Jackson).
    Last edited by budwom; 12-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I know a lot of people feel that way about the Fister deal, but underestimate Dave Dombrowski at your own peril. He's very keen on the young lefty they got in return
    from the Nats...I've followed Dombrowski's career for a long time, going back to his Expos days, and he's a very astute judge of talent. We'll just have to wait and see.

He was widely ripped for getting rid of Curtis Granderson...and he ended up with Max Scherzer (and Austin Jackson).
    Very true. Ray could be major league ready as soon as this coming fall. He's a big young lefty arm that throws a lot of strikeouts. And Krol is only 22 as well, and he's already proven to be a useful bullpen asset. And then there's Lombardozzi, who is a great clubhouse guy, able to play just about any position, and a good contact switch hitter.

Yup, and furthermore, they really had an extra pitcher. Smyly is a terrific young pitcher who has been waiting his turn for a starting job... so they still have
    five good starters ready to go. Evidently Dombrowski tried to get the Nats to take Porcello (that would've been my choice, too) but they wanted Fister.

Now they need a big bat left fielder...Mr. Choo?

Cano - making a run at the record for most times intentionally walked in one season.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    The Nats have signed Nate McLouth, most recently of the Baltimore Orioles, to a 2-year, $10.75M contract. He'll be the reserve outfielder, as he's capable of playing all three outfield positions. If Werth, Harper, or Span goes down for a long stretch, McLouth could either step in or platoon with Scott Hairston.

McLouth seems like a solid addition to the Nats' bench, which was already weak and weakened further by the trade of Lombarozzi. He may be a little expensive for a bench bat, but he fills a real need.

Here's the WaPost write-up: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-nate-mclouth/
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Now they need a big bat left fielder...Mr. Choo?
    Yeah, I'm wondering what's taking so long to get Choo...yankee maneuvering issues I conclude.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering what's taking so long to get Choo...yankee maneuvering issues I conclude.
    Don't they already have their corner outfielder in Beltran?
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Not Hot Stove per se, but Jon Heyman is reporting that Roy Halladay is retiring. He is going to sign a one-day contract with the Blue Jays. Expect the Hall of Fame argument about a pitcher with so few wins but probably more talent than anybody in the last decade to begin raging shortly.

Yankee oitfielders

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Don't they already have their corner outfielder in Beltran?
    It's hard to figure what the Yankees are doing with their outfield. They already have four prime outfielders in the fold -- Ellsbury, Beltran, Soriano and Gardner ... plus Ichiro, Vernon Wells and the very promising Almonte kid as backups. And, from what I read, they are still pursuing Choo.

I know that one of these guys can DH (when McCann is not doing that), but still ... it appears ridiculous to continue to pile up outfielders when the infield is a shambles ... and we're still short a s starting pitcher.

One story is that the Yankees are trying to work a deal, using Gardner as the centerpiece to trade for somebody such as San Diego 3B Chase Headley (a player Yankee fans lust after). I don't know, but with all the outfielders in the Bronx, a trade seems a strong possibility.

the Post today, suggested that the Yankees are trying to get Brandon Phillips from the Reds. They are looking to deal him, but they want Gardner (to replace Choo) and Nova. The Yankees can't afford to deal Nova.

Personally, I'd rather plug the gap at second base with free agent Omar Infante.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's hard to figure what the Yankees are doing with their outfield. They already have four prime outfielders in the fold -- Ellsbury, Beltran, Soriano and Gardner ... plus Ichiro, Vernon Wells and the very promising Almonte kid as backups. And, from what I read, they are still pursuing Choo.

I know that one of these guys can DH (when McCann is not doing that), but still ... it appears ridiculous to continue to pile up outfielders when the infield is a shambles ... and we're still short a s starting pitcher.

One story is that the Yankees are trying to work a deal, using Gardner as the centerpiece to trade for somebody such as San Diego 3B Chase Headley (a player Yankee fans lust after). I don't know, but with all the outfielders in the Bronx, a trade seems a strong possibility.
    OF, also read that Brett is being considered in a Phillips deal with the Reds...Cashman said today that Brett and Jacoby are similar players...and Sori doesn't want to DH I hear.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    OF, also read that Brett is being considered in a Phillips deal with the Reds...Cashman said today that Brett and Jacoby are similar players...and Sori doesn't want to DH I hear.
    He started as a second baseman, any chance that he does a Miggy and plays third if/when ARod is suspended? I know he hasn't been in the infield in years but given what third basemen are out there (or the price, at least) perhaps it's worth a shot.

As for Omar, he wouldn't be the worst Omar to play for the Yankees (that would be Omar the Out Maker, last name Moreno) but Infante is generally below average offensively and about average defensively. I'd put Ryan at second, at least you'd get a good/great glove (he's played a little 2B, I'm assuming that the SS glove will translate) and be a lot cheaper.

Lastly, speaking of Yankees, I'm not surprised, but disappointed that Tommy John wasn't selected today for the HoF. He has the quantity (long career, which has a lot of value) and quality, especially back with the White Sox and Dodgers. Plus, as a bonus, he told Mike Roberts to take this job and shove it.

yankees ... and hall of fame

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    He started as a second baseman, any chance that he does a Miggy and plays third if/when ARod is suspended? I know he hasn't been in the infield in years but given what third basemen are out there (or the price, at least) perhaps it's worth a shot.

As for Omar, he wouldn't be the worst Omar to play for the Yankees (that would be Omar the Out Maker, last name Moreno) but Infante is generally below average offensively and about average defensively. I'd put Ryan at second, at least you'd get a good/great glove (he's played a little 2B, I'm assuming that the SS glove will translate) and be a lot cheaper.

Lastly, speaking of Yankees, I'm not surprised, but disappointed that Tommy John wasn't selected today for the HoF. He has the quantity (long career, which has a lot of value) and quality, especially back with the White Sox and Dodgers. Plus, as a bonus, he told Mike Roberts to take this job and shove it.
    (1) No way that Soriano sees any time in the infield. I'm pretty sure you were just joking.

(2) I value Infante a lot more than you. He is an average hitter -- but that's not bad at second base. He's been over 100 OPS-plus in four of his last seven years and is coming off his best offensive year -- .316 with an 113 OPS plus for a division winning team. His career OPS plus is 20 points higher than Ryan (but 10 points less than Kelly Johnson)

(3) Defensively, I don't know. Ryan is a superior defensive shortstop, but in 184 career games at second, he has a lower range factor than Infante has in 748 games at second. I know there may be other factors involved, but I don't see clear evidence that Ryan is any better than Infante as a defensive second baseman. Johnson has a better range factor than either -- maybe he should be the answer at second.

As for the Hall of Fame, I was glad to see the Expansion committee elect Torre, Cox and LaRussa. Fitting they should go in together. Tommy John wouldn't have been bad, but that wasn't he worst omission -- it's a crime that Marvin Miller continues to be shunned ... he's one of the four of five most significant figures in the history of baseball. I know the powers that be hate him with a passion, but he should be in the Hall.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    (1) No way that Soriano sees any time in the infield. I'm pretty sure you were just joking.

(2) I value Infante a lot more than you. He is an average hitter -- but that's not bad at second base. He's been over 100 OPS-plus in four of his last seven years and is coming off his best offensive year -- .316 with an 113 OPS plus for a division winning team. His career OPS plus is 20 points higher than Ryan (but 10 points less than Kelly Johnson)

(3) Defensively, I don't know. Ryan is a superior defensive shortstop, but in 184 career games at second, he has a lower range factor than Infante has in 748 games at second. I know there may be other factors involved, but I don't see clear evidence that Ryan is any better than Infante as a defensive second baseman. Johnson has a better range factor than either -- maybe he should be the answer at second.

As for the Hall of Fame, I was glad to see the Expansion committee elect Torre, Cox and LaRussa. Fitting they should go in together. Tommy John wouldn't have been bad, but that wasn't he worst omission -- it's a crime that Marvin Miller continues to be shunned ... he's one of the four of five most significant figures in the history of baseball. I know the powers that be hate him with a passion, but he should be in the Hall.
    I remember Pedro Guerrero and Bobby Bonilla at third. I figured Soriano couldn't be any worse! Miggy's in Butch Hobson territory. (I'm not criticizing him, standing at 3rd opened up first for Fielder, which clearly helped the team. If the other options don't work out and he's healthy, they might wind up with him at third again, and Martinez at first.)

I agree that Omar's better offensively than Ryan, that's pretty clear. But I don't think he's really that good, not worth his price tag. You're putting a lot of faith in a career year at age 31 (he's 32 later this month.) Johnson's a better choice than either. Ryan's going to be playing a lot of short anyway. Jeter, even healthy, will be DH'ing a lot. Which is why I was trying to find a use for Soriano, since he and Ichiru are untradeable. Wells, too. Of course, if Gardner is traded, that opens up left for Soriano and nobody's embarrassed with him at third.

Re the HoF, I was concentrating on the players on the ballot. Don't disagree about Miller.

I find it sort of hilarious that the postseason thread on this board was an avalanche of hatred towards the Cardinals, but, because the Cardinals aren't in the eastern time zone, no one has a clue what they did in hot stove, even though they've sort of gone crazy.

Me, I'm a little disturbed that the 1-8 slots in the order just turned over 50%. But then again, only about one fifth of the 2011 WS roster is still around. Mozeliak keeps doing smart things, so even when I disagree with him (Peralta, really?????), I reserve judgment. I'm not happy about Peralta. Then again, I thought Beltrán was over the hill when they signed him in winter 2011-12, and I was wrong.

If I see Yadi at Schnucks, no one can prevent me from hugging him. In a manly fashion.

Also, I've never even considered going to Cooperstown for inductions before, but now we're looking at the three managers, Maddux and Glavine. Wild wild horses couldn't drag me away. I will be there.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I find it sort of hilarious that the postseason thread on this board was an avalanche of hatred towards the Cardinals.
    Dude, let this go. From the perspective of a neutral observer, you exaggerated the degree to which people on the board were hating on the Cardinals, and your insistence on bringing it up two months after the fact suggests a bit of an unhealthy obsession about the topic. As Jason said in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Try to be a little less of a curmudgeon. I bet your life will be happier as a result.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Hoping Raja Davis can quench the 5th-9th inning droughts that the Tigs seem to wallow in mid-season onwards.
    Haven't seen many bases stolen in Comerica over the past few years either. Nice to see that possibly changing.

Am I wrongly under the impression that this is one of the most active post-season pre-January meetings trade periods we've seen in several hundred years?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hoping Raja Davis can quench the 5th-9th inning droughts that the Tigs seem to wallow in mid-season onwards.
    Haven't seen many bases stolen in Comerica over the past few years either. Nice to see that possibly changing.

Am I wrongly under the impression that this is one of the most active post-season pre-January meetings trade periods we've seen in several hundred years?
    I liked Raja a lot when he was with the A's. Real sparkplug; blinding speed. His first hit here was a triple that blew me away as he sped around the basepath. I was sad we lost him, but Crisp did turn out to be better over all. You will enjoy Raja.

As a Nats fan

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Dude, let this go. From the perspective of a neutral observer, you exaggerated the degree to which people on the board were hating on the Cardinals, and your insistence on bringing it up two months after the fact suggests a bit of an unhealthy obsession about the topic. As Jason said in another thread:
    I don't hate the Cardinals, but I can't stand their fans!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I don't hate the Cardinals, but I can't stand their fans!
    The same fans that the Boston Red Sox thanked in a full-page ad in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch after the WS, because they had been so welcoming and gracious to the Red Sox and their people?

I agree about Miller. As for Tommy John, my rule is, if you are the guinea pig for a surgery that becomes the norm and saves a untold numbers of pitchers' careers, on top of an impressive career as a player, you should be in. Hall of FAME.