DBR- Slow Mo Theater

Am I wrong or does Amile travel in that video? The extra step with his right foot before he jumps appears to be one too many.

You're not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Am I wrong or does Amile travel in that video? The extra step with his right foot before he jumps appears to be one too many.
    That's a travel. Everything was good until he put the right foot back on the court, as you noted.

If you catch the ball while moving with both feet in the air, which I'm pretty sure Amile does here, then your pivot foot is the first foot to touch the ground. In this case, his right foot became the pivot. He can pick his pivot foot up before the shot (or a pass), but he can't put it back down on the court before releasing the shot (or a pass). So it wouldn't have been a walk if he jumped off the left foot, but as soon as he put the right foot back down he traveled.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    That's a travel. Everything was good until he put the right foot back on the court, as you noted.

If you catch the ball while moving with both feet in the air, which I'm pretty sure Amile does here, then your pivot foot is the first foot to touch the ground. In this case, his right foot became the pivot. He can pick his pivot foot up before the shot (or a pass), but he can't put it back down on the court before releasing the shot (or a pass). So it wouldn't have been a walk if he jumped off the left foot, but as soon as he put the right foot back down he traveled.
    The key here is whether his right foot was in the air on the ground when he received the pass. By eyeball definition, his right foot was in the air. But I don't know the basketball definition of "received." If it means complete control of the ball, then maybe his right foot was down. We need a referee to clarify. But I agree with the above posters, I think he travelled.

Rethinking my statement above, I believe he travelled whether he had both feet in the air or his right foot down at the time he received the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Rethinking my statement above, I believe he travelled whether he had both feet in the air or his right foot down at the time he received the ball.
    Never, ever called. -- sage

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I think that's correct because in either case his right foot is essentially the pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Never, ever called. -- sage
    That's very true, and I'm glad it isn't.

I think that's correct because in either case his right foot is essentially the pivot.
    This is correct...

Quote Originally Posted by Rulebook;
    Art. 3. A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and
    establish a pivot foot as follows:
    a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:
    1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;
    2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the
    pivot foot;

3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land
    on both; neither foot can be the pivot foot.
    b. When one foot is on the playing court:
    1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step;

2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both;
    neither foot can then be the pivot foot.
    April 1

Today's slo-mo theater is really interesting--and features Amile Jefferson once again. I'm pretty excited about Amile, who seems to have a keen intelligence when it comes to figuring out where he should be on the court.

I'm also very excited about Slo-mo theater. Since I never played basketball in any serious way, I confess I sometimes have trouble seeing defenses in real time. This clip and analysis were really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Today's slo-mo theater is really interesting--and features Amile Jefferson once again. I'm pretty excited about Amile, who seems to have a keen intelligence when it comes to figuring out where he should be on the court.

I'm also very excited about Slo-mo theater. Since I never played basketball in any serious way, I confess I sometimes have trouble seeing defenses in real time. This clip and analysis were really helpful.
    I was totally confused for a second, trying to figure out why people thought Amile traveled on a play where he was a defender, and Hood later received a pass and drove. I missed that there was a slomo yestereday too.

How is it a travel?

He catches the ball with his right foot on the floor (while in motion). He may jump off that foot and land simultaneously on both. He then jumps off both feet to attemp a "try for goal". I guess in slowmo, his right foot lands a hair after the left, but in truth you'll never have two feet land simultaneously. Anything that looks simulataneous won't be, if you slow it down a little more. Viewing the play in real time, his feet look like they land simultaneously.
    Last edited by gus; 11-05-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I was totally confused for a second, trying to figure out why people thought Amile traveled on a play where he was a defender, and Hood later received a pass and drove. I missed that there was a slomo yestereday too.

How is it a travel?

He catches the ball with his right foot on the floor (while in motion). He may jump off that foot and land simultaneously on both. He then jumps off both feet to attemp a "try for goal". I guess in slowmo, his right foot lands a hair after the left, but in truth you'll never have two feet land simultaneously. Anything that looks simulataneous won't be, if you slow it down a little more. Viewing the play in real time, his feet look like they land simultaneously.
    That's interesting because I only saw the first play in the Slow Mo Theater. In slow motion it doesn't look even remotely close to a jump stop; however, I could imagine in real speed that it would look like one.

I wonder if it is possible for future Slow Mo Theater plays to show the play once in normal speed followed by the slow motion replay, or vice versa? I don't know how feasible that is to assemble into one video, but it would be very interesting/educational to see these plays both ways. Regardless, I'm enjoying the new feature.

That's interesting because I only saw the first play in the Slow Mo Theater. In slow motion it doesn't look even remotely close to a jump stop; however, I could imagine in real speed that it would look like one.

I wonder if it is possible for future Slow Mo Theater plays to show the play once in normal speed followed by the slow motion replay, or vice versa? I don't know how feasible that is to assemble into one video, but it would be very interesting/educational to see these plays both ways. Regardless, I'm enjoying the new feature.
    I re-watched the DBP hightlight reel- it doesn't as close as I thought it did.