Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I don't think I've seen this linked, but my all-time favorite player to ever wear a Drury uniform graduated from Duke in '86. The story of his recruitment is my single favorite recruiting story (and contrasts sharply with the current self-promoting fiascos). And the one time I met him (when he was an assistant at Duke), we chatted at great length over a beer when the team was in New York, and he was a great guy (and presumably still is).

http://books.google.com/books?id=WW7...etball&f=false
    Very cool little factoid, johnb.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I don't think I've seen this linked, but my all-time favorite player to ever wear a Drury uniform graduated from Duke in '86. The story of his recruitment is my single favorite recruiting story (and contrasts sharply with the current self-promoting fiascos). And the one time I met him (when he was an assistant at Duke), we chatted at great length over a beer when the team was in New York, and he was a great guy (and presumably still is).

http://books.google.com/books?id=WW7...etball&f=false
    Yeah, good story about how came to Duke and we're certainly glad he did. David Henderson was a terrific player and by all accounts, is a great guy. One of my favorite stories about him was how he begged Coach K to let him defend Walter Berry of St. John's, who was tearing up the Blue Devils in MSG; Henderson did check him late in the game, and was key in helping to pull out an exciting win that was part of a magic 1985-86 season.

Just to pick a bit, his actual high school was Warren County, which is the only public high school in that poor, rural county, which is also the home of Soul City and Lickskillet (not sure if Lickskillet is an official town, or part of Warrenton).
    Last edited by roywhite; 11-04-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: town name?

Some David Hendrson related ramblings as, like others on this thread, he is an all-time fave of mine.
    I always point out the Norlina exit on I-95, as I thought that was his home town.
    It was represented to us at the time that, as a high school student, he drove his own school bus. (Sounds like a Chuck Norris meme).
    He authored one of the top Duke dunks of all time when he dunked on Reggie Rogers of Washington (sadly deceased just this week). Known as Hendo Jam 1 by me and my friends, not to be confused with Hendo Jam 2 (Phil Henderson's on Mourning) and any number of Hendo Jam 3's (pick your favorite Gerald Henderson dunk). I'll have high expectations if we ever get another Henderson.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    This team is stacked with good shooting. In fact, on any given night, the "hot hand(s)" may not even be on the floor at the start of the game, and K will be able to find several shooters sitting on the bench if a starter is not having a good night.

As for Andre, he got 9 minutes in the first exhibition game, which is last among those players likely to get a few minutes in the regular season.

In the second exhibition game Andre got even less time (6 minutes) with Sheed not eating up any minutes and no "garbage" minutes from Pagliuca and Zaf. Only Marshall got less minutes, with Murphy getting 6 minutes as well.

We all know Matt Jones got significant minutes in both games. He was one of 4 players to crack 20 minutes against Bowie St. and his 28 minutes vs Drury were tied for second most with Jabari Parker.

Sure, the minutes distribution could be staggeringly different in the regular season, but it seems that Jones has grabbed that "first guy off the bench" role by throat with his good defense.
    There's a couple of ways to look at this. One way is to say that Matt Jones has come in and played so well that he's keeping Andre on the bench. As much as I love Andre, that's a GOOD thing since it tells us that Jones is playing really well. For the most part Andre is a known quantity (the good - shooting, and the bad - defensive focus) and I hope he plays well enough to earn lots of minutes. If he doesn't get the minutes, however, I hope it's not because he's not playing well but because someone else is playing fantastic.

Thanks to everyone who was either at the game or watched the replay and took the time to post either thoughts on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    There's a couple of ways to look at this. One way is to say that Matt Jones has come in and played so well that he's keeping Andre on the bench. As much as I love Andre, that's a GOOD thing since it tells us that Jones is playing really well. For the most part Andre is a known quantity (the good - shooting, and the bad - defensive focus) and I hope he plays well enough to earn lots of minutes. If he doesn't get the minutes, however, I hope it's not because he's not playing well but because someone else is playing fantastic.
    My take on Dre is that he's going to be what he has always been...a strategic weapon that can explode for 20-30 points via a torrent of 3s at any given time but not necessarily a guy who is going to be counted on for game-in/game-out production. That kind of weapon can swing any game, it's just not likely to impact every game. If no one else emerges as a consistent 3 point threat, I think his chance for PT increases because his presence on the floor will force someone to guard him beyond the 3 point line which spaces the floor.

Drury Diaries

A great video series from Drury's perspective of preparing for the game and the game itself. Really found it interesting and sounds like a good group of guys. They are a few minutes long each, but worth it in my mind. A lot of respect for Duke and Coach K coming from their end:

Here's the first one (travel):

Next two (practice the day before, game itself):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyZeh8yiqs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N9xgyXg1EE

David Henderson...

David Henderson is one of my all-time favorites. And, this is why:

It was the morning of June 20, 1986. I was on a bus with a bunch of fellow campers at Campbell basketball school. Arriving back on campus after the morning session, I looked out the windows and saw a number of camp counselors lined up next to the bus lot. As we readied to exit the bus, a camp counselor stepped on the bus and said, "The second pick in NBA draft, Boston Celtic and former Maryland All-American Len Bias..." I got so excited thinking he was coming to camp. He was my all-time favorite player for what he did to Carolina the year before (the steal of the inbounds pass and subsequent reverse dunk at the Dean Dome). The counselor continued, "... has just died."

I was crushed. I began crying as any 6th grader would when their idol dies. I walked out of the bus and saw David Henderson, a camp counselor for that week. He put his arm around me and consoled me. I asked him how this could happen, and he just shook his head. He walked back to my dorm room... and we sat down. I got out my portable pac-man game and my football game. We played for an hour - just the two of us.

After David Henderson made sure I was ok, he left. I called my parents and broke down in tears again over Bias. Then, I told them about the amazing experience I just had with David Henderson. The following day, my parents drove up for the final day of camp and met David Henderson. He was as nice and gracious and spent time with them as well. I will never forget, and am forever a huge fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    My take on Dre is that he's going to be what he has always been...a strategic weapon that can explode for 20-30 points via a torrent of 3s at any given time but not necessarily a guy who is going to be counted on for game-in/game-out production. That kind of weapon can swing any game, it's just not likely to impact every game. If no one else emerges as a consistent 3 point threat, I think his chance for PT increases because his presence on the floor will force someone to guard him beyond the 3 point line which spaces the floor.
    I tend to agree with this. We know that, when hot, Dawkins can absolutely take over a game. The convenience here is that, with Sulaimon, Hood, and Jones, we have the luxury of taking him off the floor when he isn't feeling it.

And totally agree that IF we can't get 3pt shooting from our regulars AND we are in need of 3pt shooting in a particular game, the odds of Dawkins coming in increase greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think we were the Goliath in this scenario, yes?
    My god (pun intended)...I honestly think I was picturing the old religious claymation show "Davey and Goliath" and equating "underdog" with Goliath the Dog. That's what happens when one is raised a heathen and all religious knowledge comes from whatever passed for kids television on late 70s/early 80s pre-cable Sunday mornings before football.

For those who don't know what I am talking about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGYa4wdW0P8

It used to run back-to-back with a live-action religion-theme drama called 'Insight' that used to freak me out
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insight_(TV_series)
    Check out the semi-sinister intro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plubOIM4ctw

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    My god (pun intended)...I honestly think I was picturing the old religious claymation show "Davey and Goliath" and equating "underdog" with Goliath the Dog. That's what happens when one is raised a heathen and all religious knowledge comes from whatever passed for kids television on late 70s/early 80s pre-cable Sunday mornings before football.

For those who don't know what I am talking about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGYa4wdW0P8

It used to run back-to-back with a live-action religion-theme drama called 'Insight' that used to freak me out
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insight_(TV_series)
    Check out the semi-sinister intro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plubOIM4ctw
    I learned religion as a child from claymation.

My kids learned religion from talking vegetables.

Progress? Probably not.

Re: Hendu -- really like your story Cajun. What an absolutely shocking event. I have always been a huge fan of Hendu and that story cements it even more. The original Sixth Man for K. (primarily Soph. and Junior seasons, IIRC +/-)

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I tend to agree with this. We know that, when hot, Dawkins can absolutely take over a game. The convenience here is that, with Sulaimon, Hood, and Jones, we have the luxury of taking him off the floor when he isn't feeling it.

And totally agree that IF we can't get 3pt shooting from our regulars AND we are in need of 3pt shooting in a particular game, the odds of Dawkins coming in increase greatly.
    Yeah, and when was the last time Andre Dawkins took over a game? And what evidence is there to believe he can still do this, even occasionally?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, and when was the last time Andre Dawkins took over a game? And what evidence is there to believe he can still do this, even occasionally?
    Duke at FSU 2012, the seventh-most recent college basketball game he's played?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post

After David Henderson made sure I was ok, he left. I called my parents and broke down in tears again over Bias. Then, I told them about the amazing experience I just had with David Henderson. The following day, my parents drove up for the final day of camp and met David Henderson. He was as nice and gracious and spent time with them as well. I will never forget, and am forever a huge fan!
    Nice story. I was 35 years old when Bias died. I still remember driving a car listening to the radio when I heard the news. I had to pull over to the side of the road I was in such shock. Local t.v. sportscaster in the DC area George Michael had done a short interview on air with Lenny just a few days before.

It was the morning of June 20, 1986. I was on a bus with a bunch of fellow campers at Campbell basketball school. Arriving back on campus after the morning session, I looked out the windows and saw a number of camp counselors lined up next to the bus lot. As we readied to exit the bus, a camp counselor stepped on the bus and said, "The second pick in NBA draft, Boston Celtic and former Maryland All-American Len Bias..." I got so excited thinking he was coming to camp. He was my all-time favorite player for what he did to Carolina the year before (the steal of the inbounds pass and subsequent reverse dunk at the Dean Dome). The counselor continued, "... has just died."

I was crushed. I began crying as any 6th grader would when their idol dies. I walked out of the bus and saw David Henderson, a camp counselor for that week. He put his arm around me and consoled me. I asked him how this could happen, and he just shook his head. He walked back to my dorm room... and we sat down. I got out my portable pac-man game and my football game. We played for an hour - just the two of us.

Incredibly touching account; thanks for sharing.

Great story.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Duke at FSU 2012, the seventh-most recent college basketball game he's played?
    Thank you for reminding me about that game. It has been almost two years and I had forgotten the details. I hope he can still contribute at that level, though the inconsistency of his past contributions is worrisome.

Inconsistent outside shooting can have a detrimental effect on a team. If you gear your offense around an outside shooter like Dawkins at the times when he is in the game and he only comes through at a high level every seven games or so, well, that is not beneficial overall. Yes, in the occasional game that he goes off it is awesome. But what about the following six games when he does not, yet the team keeps putting him in a position to succeed to the possible detriment of the other players on the court who could be taking the shots Andre is missing? I just do not like a streaky outside shooter to be a focal point of the team. I think it does more harm than good.

Still, I like Andre and sincerely hope that he has exorcised the demons related to the death of his sister. That is far more important than basketball.

Thank you for reminding me about that game. It has been almost two years and I had forgotten the details. I hope he can still contribute at that level, though the inconsistency of his past contributions is worrisome.

Inconsistent outside shooting can have a detrimental effect on a team. If you gear your offense around an outside shooter like Dawkins at the times when he is in the game and he only comes through at a high level every seven games or so, well, that is not beneficial overall. Yes, in the occasional game that he goes off it is awesome. But what about the following six games when he does not, yet the team keeps putting him in a position to succeed to the possible detriment of the other players on the court who could be taking the shots Andre is missing? I just do not like a streaky outside shooter to be a focal point of the team. I think it does more harm than good.

Still, I like Andre and sincerely hope that he has exorcised the demons related to the death of his sister. That is far more important than basketball.
    I don't totally get this. Even in 2012, where he was significantly less efficient than he was in 2011, Andre wasn't shooting us out of games--he had the highest eFG% of any perimeter player, and with 18.3% usage, he wasn't exactly Thornton-level invisible on offense. Frankly if anything a few more possessions a game ending on a Andre three instead of a (frequently missed) Rivers drive would have very likely been beneficial. Sure his defense wasn't great, but he was one of the better offensive players on the team his last year.

In 2011-12, Andre hit 3 or more three-pointers in 10 games, and 2 three-pointers in 6 other games, that's 16 out of a total of 34 games. He attempted more than 3 three-pointers in 22 games and shot 40% or better on threes in 14 of those games. While it's true he "only" scored 20+ points in 4 games and between 10 and 20 in 9 other games, his lack of late season production was as much a function of a lack of minutes as anything else.

So he wasn't nearly as inconsistent as you seem to believe and has clearly "come through at a high level" a lot better than "every seven games or so."

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    In 2011-12, Andre hit 3 or more three-pointers in 10 games, and 2 three-pointers in 6 other games, that's 16 out of a total of 34 games. He attempted more than 3 three-pointers in 22 games and shot 40% or better on threes in 14 of those games. While it's true he "only" scored 20+ points in 4 games and between 10 and 20 in 9 other games, his lack of late season production was as much a function of a lack of minutes as anything else.

So he wasn't nearly as inconsistent as you seem to believe and has clearly "come through at a high level" a lot better than "every seven games or so."
    "But, but, but he's a 3-point shooter as his primary offense, so it must mean we are doomed to die by the 3 with him playing."

This is what you get a lot of when you mention Andre. People ignore that he is nowhere near Taylor King out there for just jacking up 3s without consideration of who is around him. Look at him over these two exhibitions. He hardly shoots unless he is open or the game is out of reach by a mile (the end of the first exhibition). He is playing hard on D (like his abilities on D or not), and he is the least of our defensive problems if we don't guard the interior better than we did over the weekend. It is simply rewriting the history of a player that may not see big minutes this year, but has had a hell of a career that gave us a lot more positive than negative. He gave us a good deal of production. He has his ups and downs, but so does everybody. He was taken out in the bad times, but he lifted us up in the good. That's all you can ask. It doesn't make him a starter this year (unless he finds consistency), but it certainly makes him an asset.

If you gear your offense around an outside shooter like Dawkins at the times when he is in the game and he only comes through at a high level every seven games or so, well, that is not beneficial overall. Yes, in the occasional game that he goes off it is awesome. But what about the following six games when he does not, yet the team keeps putting him in a position to succeed to the possible detriment of the other players on the court who could be taking the shots Andre is missing? I just do not like a streaky outside shooter to be a focal point of the team. I think it does more harm than good.
    What makes you think Duke would gear its offense around Dawkins? He'll almost always be playing off of the creators, and if he happens to be hot, then yeah, we might run some stuff for him to feed the hot hand. But otherwise, this team obviously is going to be geared around Parker and Hood.