Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I think my head is going to explode trying to hold that thought.
    Yeah me too

Is that like saying someone is like Robert Brickey with a sweet free throw form?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Another cool thing is I have now heard four different players (Rasheed, Matt, Tyler, Rodney) called our best defender, and both Quinn and Jabari have looked great so far on defense as well. It's refreshing to have that kind of D after the so-so (for Duke) defense of the past few years.
    I seem to remember Quinn giving TT (who protects the ball very well) a fit in the BW game. If Quinn can up his on the ball pressure, we may have the makings of a very special team. Pressure defense leads to turnovers leads to Hood, Rasheed, Cook, Parker, Semi, Murphy, etc... in the open court... WOW! Can't wait.

Pressure defense!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I seem to remember Quinn giving TT (who protects the ball very well) a fit in the BW game. If Quinn can up his on the ball pressure, we may have the makings of a very special team. Pressure defense leads to turnovers leads to Hood, Rasheed, Cook, Parker, Semi, Murphy, etc... in the open court... WOW! Can't wait.
    Your post has me dreaming of lot's of run outs for slams. Maybe to an 85-90 points per game season. A fan can dream can't they?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Your post has me dreaming of lot's of run outs for slams. Maybe to an 85-90 points per game season. A fan can dream can't they?
    Call it dreaming if you want, but I think your scenario is pretty reasonable for this team.

Call it dreaming if you want, but I think your scenario is pretty reasonable for this team.
    Man I hope. The national lead last year was 80.4, so if anyone is in the 90 range (and isn't playing a Loyola/Grinnell style gimmick), I feel like it's pretty likely the officials have managed to clean up the game

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    Man I hope. The national lead last year was 80.4, so if anyone is in the 90 range (and isn't playing a Loyola/Grinnell style gimmick), I feel like it's pretty likely the officials have managed to clean up the game
    Duke scored between 88 and 92 ppg four seasons in a row in the late 90s, early 00s:

1998-99: 91.8 ppg
    1999-2000: 88.0 ppg
    2000-01: 90.7 ppg
    2001-02: 88.9 ppg

I expect we may play a pace similar to those teams, and if we do it stands to reason we have a decent chance of scoring in the 90 range.

Either way, we'll know soon enough.

Also

Duke scored between 88 and 92 ppg four seasons in a row in the late 90s, early 00s:

1998-99: 91.8 ppg
    1999-2000: 88.0 ppg
    2000-01: 90.7 ppg
    2001-02: 88.9 ppg

I expect we may play a pace similar to those teams, and if we do it stands to reason we have a decent chance of scoring in the 90 range.

Either way, we'll know soon enough.
    If the officials are really going to crack down on defensive fouls, as the first exhibition suggests, then scores should be up across the board.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    If the officials are really going to crack down on defensive fouls, as the first exhibition suggests, then scores should be up across the board.
    We'll see about that. First, they may "emphasize" things for the first month or so and then revert to something closer to the norm. Wouldn't be the first time, and the inconsistency would muck with team productivity. Second, if teams don't adapt quickly to the new officiating, then we may see games with extra stoppages, which can interrupt the flow of a game and impair offensive production as well.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

And college basketball with look like college basketball and not look like a college football game. GoDuke!

I hope they do, and I hope the players and coaches adjust quickly, because I am not eager to watch three-hour basketball games.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I hope they do, and I hope the players and coaches adjust quickly, because I am not eager to watch three-hour basketball games.

sagegrouse
    Hey sage, let's be reasonable. The exhibition was "only" 2 hours and 20 minutes last Saturday.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Agreed, but

sagegrouse
    I'm also not eager to watch a wrestling match, so I like the new emphasis.

I hope they do, and I hope the players and coaches adjust quickly, because I am not eager to watch three-hour basketball games.sagegrouse
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hey sage, let's be reasonable. The exhibition was "only" 2 hours and 20 minutes last Saturday.
    Not only that... imagine what would happen to the 2-hour time slots for games on ESPN, etc. Miss the entire first half if they stay on the earlier game, miss the entire second half if they switch to the current game.

All I want to know is if we can measure defense with cinder blocks.

How else are we going to determine the best defender?

--Jason "" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    All I want to know is if we can measure defense with cinder blocks.

How else are we going to determine the best defender?

--Jason Evans

Not to brag, but I used to play defense much like a cinder block.

I also remember when Eric Snow treated Chris Collins like a pylon. Chris thought he had a charge and flopped even though Snow was able to completely avoid him, giving the impression that Snow went by Chris so fast that it blew him over.