Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Atlanta's Fashion Police

"Atlanta officials did not decide Tuesday whether they should become fashion police.

However, they did agree to continue to debate whether the city should regulate whether folks can walk around Atlanta with saggy pants and exposed undies. Council members expect to create a 10- to 12-member task force soon to further the debate and decide whether Atlanta should — or can — pass a law to control fashion."

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...aggy_0829.html

This seems like a really valuable expenditure of funds.

If someone was to walk around in just boxer shorts would that be in violation of the law? If yes, then there are a lot of runners I see who probably would be in violation of such an ordinance. If not, then how can wearing your pants so low that you can see someone's underwear be against the law?

What should be against the law is white people wearing their hair in dreadlocks. It is just wrong (though on African-Americans it looks great - it is just never works on a white folks).

Other things that give greater offence than low pants with boxers exposed:

1) Crocs shoes worn with socks
    2) men in capri pants
    3) tattoos on the neck
    4) shaved heads on white guys (usually, some can pull it off)
    5) ball caps being worn in restaraunts
    6) man purses
    7) others? . . .

Once the city of Atlanta gets these issues solved, which IMHO are far more serious, then they might begin on the low pants/visible underwear thing.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    If someone was to walk around in just boxer shorts would that be in violation of the law? If yes, then there are a lot of runners I see who probably would be in violation of such an ordinance. If not, then how can wearing your pants so low that you can see someone's underwear be against the law?

What should be against the law is white people wearing their hair in dreadlocks. It is just wrong (though on African-Americans it looks great - it is just never works on a white folks).

Other things that give greater offence than low pants with boxers exposed:

2) men in capri pants
    3) tattoos on the neck
    6) man purses
    7) others? . . .

Once the city of Atlanta gets these issues solved, which IMHO are far more serious, then they might begin on the low pants/visible underwear thing.
    You forgot the worst one of all - fat women with navel piercing.

ICK!

(Honorable mention: men with nipple piercing.)

IMO, conducting a public political debate over this issue is only going to reinforce what motivates the guys who wear their pants down low to expose their underwear--gaining attention by giving offense. You can't arrest people for acting or looking like idiots. If someone goes too far, then bust him for indecent exposure. Otherwise, let him be a walking advertisement for his own foolish lack of taste and good sense. It's that much less competition for those who are smart enough to recognize that you can't earn the kind of respect that leads to success without showing self-respect and being respectful of others. Again, just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    You forgot the worst one of all - fat women with navel piercing.

ICK!

(Honorable mention: men with nipple piercing.)
    I find the radiant sun tattoos that some men have around their belly buttons incredibly distasteful.

Based on the earlier "I Love ATL" Thread...

I think some ATL men might be more disappointed by the enforcement of the restrictions the proposed law would put on women:

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/me...saggy0823.html

Under the proposed ordinance, women also couldn't reveal the strap of a thong beneath their pants. Nor could they wear jogging bras in public or show off even a wisp of a bra strap...

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I think some ATL men might be more disappointed by the enforcement of the restrictions the proposed law would put on women:

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/me...saggy0823.html
    Seems as though the breastfeeding folks might have issues with the proposed law.

Likewise, EarlJam's targets of morning ogling would also receive summonses.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Seems as though the breastfeeding folks might have issues with the proposed law.

Likewise, EarlJam's targets of morning ogling would also receive summonses.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    (EarlJam's targets *are* the breastfeeding folks...)

(Sick puppy, that EarlJam.)

Hmm... when are you supposed to introduce EarlJam to Ivana?

Hmm... maybe we could get the TLC "What not to wear" folks to come to our fair city to enforce the proposed law.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Sick? Who are you kidding? Below is a photo of the last woman I went out with. One of Atlanta's finest - and one heck of a kisser! Nothing sick about this...

Attachment 107

-EarlJam

Did she pop you in the kisser?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    IMO, conducting a public political debate over this issue is only going to reinforce what motivates the guys who wear their pants down low to expose their underwear--gaining attention by giving offense. You can't arrest people for acting or looking like idiots. If someone goes too far, then bust him for indecent exposure. Otherwise, let him be a walking advertisement for his own foolish lack of taste and good sense. It's that much less competition for those who are smart enough to recognize that you can't earn the kind of respect that leads to success without showing self-respect and being respectful of others. Again, just MHO.
    I think you hit it Stray. If you want to be boorish and offensive, have at it. If you want to reach the level of indecency and public exposure, have at jail. Also just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    2) men in capri pants
    3) tattoos on the neck
    6) man purses
    7) others? . . .
    7a) Popped collars
    8) pink on guys
    9) sandals with socks (my dad does this)
    10) baseball caps worn with flat bill
    11) muffin-top

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    7a) Popped collars
    8) pink on guys
    11) muffin-top
    Regarding #10 - my son (age 13) has started doing this. At first I didn't like it, after getting used to it it moved way down my list of things I actually care about. However, I draw the line at wearing a baseball cap with the price tag still on it - I think guys who do that should be sentenced to watching clips of Minnie Pearl from Hee-Haw re-runs for 48 consecutive hours.

How about Spandex on people that flat-out should not be wearing Spandex?

Others:

1. No shoes in the grocery store (just barefeet - I've seen it)
    2. Wearing sandles when you have a bunch of dead skin piled up on the heel of your foot
    3. Tank tops in restaurants

This look, which almost caused me to wreck my car at Elon, however, is quite satisfactory:

Attachment 108

-EarlJam

School girl look

EarlJam, If you're such a proponent of the school uniform look, how come you didn't express your support in the "school uniform" poll thread earlier? Come on, shouldn't all of the Emory coeds have to wear something similar?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    7a) Popped collars
    8) pink on guys
    11) muffin-top

I disagree with #10. Chad Cordero of the Nationals prefers to wear his hat this way, and while it looks goofy on most folks, I think it looks kind of intimidating on Chad. Doesn't hurt that he combines it with some nasty pitching...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    EarlJam, If you're such a proponent of the school uniform look, how come you didn't express your support in the "school uniform" poll thread earlier? Come on, shouldn't all of the Emory coeds have to wear something similar?
    I don't believe that EarlJam supports a school uniform look for ALL women:

There on the grass in front of a building, about 15 young, attractive, "healthy" ladies were doing sit-ups in the grass while wearing somewhat "revealing" gym clothes - right in front of traffic. Horns were honking, men's heads were turning, traffic was slowing down.
    -EarlJam
    What's interesting is that EarlJam seems to be driving whenever he sees attractively attired women.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with flatbrims other than ethnicity issues.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with flatbrims other than ethnicity issues.
    Is it any different from why people hate popped collars?