Greatest Alternative Rock Songs Ever

I was reading the other thread and thought this might be an interesting topic. And when I mean Alternative I know several of you who will be down with this, when it was truely "alternative" and not the crud they call alternative now.

Here is my top 10 in no particular order. They might not be the bands most popular songs, but If I had an I-Pod with only 10 songs these would be the ones off the top of my head. Also note I am not including Alt-Country, othewise the list would grow exponetially with Unclue Tupelo and Son Volt tunes. I also tried to stay in the 80's otherwise I'd have Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve on the list.

1. Fall on Me-REM
    2. The Unforgetable Fire-U2
    3. Charlotte Sometimes-The Cure
    4. Alison-Elvis Costello
    5. Ghost in You-Psychedelic Furs
    6. More then This-Roxy Music
    7. Bizarre Love Triangle-New Order
    8. Killing Moon-Echo and the Bunnymen
    9. Blasphemous Rumours-Depeche Mode
    10. Love Will Tear Us Apart-Joy Division

Great choices, but do you really think Elvis Costello's Alison is alternative? I'm a big fan of his, but iIsee that one as his attempt at mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Great choices, but do you really think Elvis Costello's Alison is alternative? I'm a big fan of his, but iIsee that one as his attempt at mainstream.
    I can see that, U2 was also pretty big by the time UF was released but it is still to this day my favorite U2 song. REM Radio Free Europe was tough to leave off the list but that is #2 behind fall on me IMO.

good list

Also, the Furs Love My Way. And maybe the Church's Under the Milky Way Tonight, but I think that went mainstream.

What about XTC and Human Sexual Response?

As for REM, Don't Go Back to Rockville and So. Central Rain.

whatizit

I've never really understood the stupid radio programmers definition of "alternative". Alternative to what, exactly? Do they play standing backs to the audience?

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    I've never really understood the stupid radio programmers definition of "alternative". Alternative to what, exactly? Do they play standing backs to the audience?
    I remmeber back in the day the term "Progressive" applied as well. I think day then it was the "Alternative" to the Arena Rock and Hair Metal Bands that were the mainstream. Remembering back to that period Metallica considered Metal and there were variations on Metal as well. Ah the 80's

I remember when record stores had separate "alternative" departments. If you wanted R.E.M. or something you had to look in the alternative section. Then people would look at you all like, oooh, check out that guy, he likes alternative music.

That was back when there were record stores, of course. Oh, I guess I also need to explain what records are.

I remember the Alternative sections in the record store. Chances were strong if you bumped into someone in that section they would have a Black Flag t-shirt on. The town my parents live in and where I went to college has a great indepent record store. I make it a point to buy something there everytime I go visit.