Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Need VaTech to go back on a winning streak and for Duke to keep winning to overcome that perception.
    Don't give up on the division championship! We need Virginia Tech to lose at least one more game, since we'd hold the tiebreaker over them if we finish with matching ACC records. This is far more important than whatever marginal benefits come from having VT ranked #22 instead of unranked.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Totally agree but feared it would happen. A sign or more disrespect of our guys imo. "Wow these guys lost to Duke at home so no way they should be ranked" seems to be how that played out. Disheartening. Need VaTech to go back on a winning streak and for Duke to keep winning to overcome that perception.
    Nobody who looks at computer ranking thinks that. The Coastal division is comprised of 6 teams ranked in the 20-60 range, plus UVa as the outlier. All good teams, no great teams. We can beat the crap out of one another, and as long as no one loses to the hapless Cavs, we'll still all be 20-60. Third place Atlantic (MD) is ranked lower than sixth place Coastal (Pitt), so there's that.

Losing to Duke can be hazardous to your career? Mebbe so. Here's a CYA quote from the VT defensive coordinator, Bud Foster:

Sometimes maybe the best team doesn’t win, and I think today was one of those days,” Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster said.
    Now here's a more honest quote from wide receiver Willie Byrn:

“We’re getting down there and getting where we need to be, but then once we get there, something happens and you just can’t have those setbacks,” wide receiver Willie Byrn said. “You can have them every once in a while and . . . make incredible plays to overcome them, but a lot of the times if you turn the ball over and if you have execution problems, the other team is gonna beat you. Duke was certainly good enough to do that today.”
    Uhh... Mr. Foster, how do you define "best team?" What about missed field goals, four interceptions, and a general inability to put the ball in the endzone? Looks to me that the best team did win, if how a team plays is what determines the best team.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Losing to Duke can be hazardous to your career? Mebbe so. Here's a CYA quote from the VT defensive coordinator, Bud Foster:

Now here's a more honest quote from wide receiver Willie Byrn:

Uhh... Mr. Foster, how do you define "best team?" What about missed field goals, four interceptions, and a general inability to put the ball in the endzone? Looks to me that the best team did win, if how a team plays is what determines the best team.

sagegrouse
    De Nile is not just a river in Egypt, Mr. Foster.

Years gone bye, we would lose games we could have won. Last two, we have won games we could have lost. That is a sign of a program in the right direction. Any Duke basketball fan already understands that. Foster, by contrast, does not.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    De Nile is not just a river in Egypt, Mr. Foster.

Years gone bye, we would lose games we could have won. Last two, we have won games we could have lost. That is a sign of a program in the right direction. Any Duke basketball fan already understands that. Foster, by contrast, does not.
    With all of the injuries our football players have suffered on penalized hits from Hokies over the years, and the generally thuggish play we've come to expect from their basketball teams, class is not really the first thing I'd look for from one of their coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    With all of the injuries our football players have suffered on penalized hits from Hokies over the years, and the generally thuggish play we've come to expect from their basketball teams, class is not really the first thing I'd look for from one of their coaches.
    It is sad that the three worst cheap shot teams in the conference -- VT, GT and UNC -- are all in our division. Hope we came through the game relatively well and glad we have a bye week.

Tech fans aren't gonna take the "Duke was better than us" excuse very well, so I can't say I really blame the coach for saying that. It stinks that people still think that we suck at football, but it sure makes the (all the more frequent) victories sweeter. Imagine all the UNC fans out there still expecting their team to beat us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Don't give up on the division championship! We need Virginia Tech to lose at least one more game, since we'd hold the tiebreaker over them if we finish with matching ACC records. This is far more important than whatever marginal benefits come from having VT ranked #22 instead of unranked.
    This is a very good point. I fear that with our losses to GT and Pitt, the division is too crowded, but I suppose it's possible.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Ten Duke FB threads (including Thad's) on page 1 .

Football school.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Game is replayed tonight on ESPNUHD at 9:30. We will win tonight, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Also... if you get ESPN3 or WatchESPN, the game can be replayed. Usually available at least for 7 days, up to 30 days I think. Great on AppleTV.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'm just really excited about the fact that knock on wood we're beating VT in Cameron that the crowd can start a "Just like football" chant. I enjoy those. I guess they were funnier when we were terrible at football, but still, that chant at a football school is humerous.