Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bowling

Weird feeling: qualifying for a bowl when it is way, way too early to have any idea what bowl we might go to.

Pre-game/in-game posts:

MBB: 79

FB: 212

Post-game posts (so far):

MBB: 7

FB: 62

Football school!!!!!

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Can't think of a single other time that I'm glad I missed a basketball game to see a football game, but couldn't be happier tonight. That game was a ton of fun to be at and the duke crowd, while small, was giving it all they had tonight.

what a great birthday present. BB team rages, FB team pulls off the huge upset.

thanks duke !!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHLM'13 View Post
    Can't think of a single other time that I'm glad I missed a basketball game to see a football game, but couldn't be happier tonight. That game was a ton of fun to be at and the duke crowd, while small, was giving it all they had tonight.
    Ozzie did the same thing. A man wise beyond his many years and not as dumb as I look . I'll bet he got 100+ MPG riding back from Blacksburg today on that cloud he was driving.

The Thanksgiving ritual/tradition of the killing of large numbers of turkeys occurred about a month early this year.

lives near a number of big white buildings

C.O.Y.

No doubt at season's end the award will go to one of the coaches who finish very close to the top in the national rankings, but Coach Cut really is the Coach of the Year.

Extra chocolate syrup on the ice cream for dessert tonight along with an extra beer cooling in the 'fridge tonight.

It's nice watching other football games when the Top 25 scroll at the bottom comes around to #14. It's nice to see Duke in yellow!

Almost unbelievable to realize we won today having been out-gained almost 2:1 (387 to 198), converting 0/11 third downs and time of possession almost 2:1 also (39:27 to 20:33).

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Extra chocolate syrup on the ice cream for dessert tonight along with an extra beer cooling in the 'fridge tonight.
    You can't fool me. There is always an extra beer in the 'fridge! Tonight it will just taste better.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    what a great birthday present. BB team rages, FB team pulls off the huge upset.

thanks duke !!
    I agree! My bday was Tuesday and this made my week! Go Duke!!!

Just saw on ESPN where Boone is No. 10 in total QBR nationally. Don't really know how thats possible but...awesome!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Almost unbelievable to realize we won today having been out-gained almost 2:1 (387 to 198), converting 0/11 third downs and time of possession almost 2:1 also (39:27 to 20:33).
    Oh, and not completing a pass in the second half!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Yea, that , too. Just like someone posted in this thread or in the pre/in-game thread that if you were shown the game stats, you'd likely guess that ours would predict/reflect about a 3 TD loss. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Just saw on ESPN where Boone is No. 10 in total QBR nationally. Don't really know how thats possible but...awesome!
    That almost HAS to drop after today's clunker.

Today's game is yet another example of why people grade QBs on championships. One can be truly awful and still be the QB of a winning team.

The defense was just outstanding today. They battled through a rough game from our offense and wouldn't let us lose.

Also, gotta give TONS of credit to Martin nailing two 50+ yard field goals. How often do you see us beating Va Tech on special teams?!?!?

One more win guarantees winning season - 1st since 1994. Obviously would end the longest non-winning season streak in Duke history.

Which also means our All-ACC Crowder didn't even touch the ball, and Cockrell was in on only 1 play on D... and we still won.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Coach Cut for President!!

When I met him a few years back on one of his publicity/goodwill/excitement-building tours around the state I remember thinking that "there's something different about this Coach, he seems like he could be a great fit at Duke" with the way he preaches a family-type atmosphere and nurturing all aspects of the game and program - he really wanted to build a program rather than try and build a winning football team. Now, he gets his signature win and is putting the program back to where it belongs at an institution where everything is built around excellence.

For me, being a Charlotte native and resident, other than my 4 years in Derm, the icing on the cake is that he's building the program with so many kids not only from NC but specifically from the greater Charlotte area. There's a ton of talent there, and every player we get is one that we keep from going to NC State, Chapel Hell, Wake and even ECU. Home-grown talent means that the players' families can come to all the home games, other players from the area still in HS can come watch their former teammates hypothetically Cut doesn't have to spend quite as much time on the road because the "Duke-quality" players (student athletes applies to Duke, IMHO, but not all schools as we've learned) who would have never considered Duke are now starting to at least consider us if not sign with us. It makes us stronger and our rivals weaker, plus there's nothing like a homegrown star. We're also getting more talent and that's evident when a starter goes down and the level of play of the backup isn't such a huge dropoff that we end up getting creamed, now we plug in the next man up and can have faith that he'll do his job well...this is what I consider one of the biggest differences between the recent Cut era and everything since Goldsmith's '94 season.

Go Devils - from a long-suffering fan who's faithfully been to game after game where we would have found a way to lose this game many times over I must say that it's the sweetest feeling when a long-term plan and change in culture starts to show dividends on the field, and I have complete trust in the man at the helm doing things 'the right way' and think he really gets it when representing Duke and trying to be excellent in all he does.

Cut for President!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    On the ESPN crawl... Only team to win this year with four interceptions... Only team to win this year which was 0 for 11 on third down.

Sage Grouse answers:

1. If the other team has four interceptions, why should this be a surprise?

2. Who needs third downs when you are so good on fourth down?

I love this notoriety!

sagegrouse
    Re 1, somebody with four interceptions had to win that game. Might as well be us.