Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It depends on your definition of leader. I don't think most Duke fans would've considered Curry to be a vocal leader, but as you point out, he did lead (when he was physically able to) by being a go-to guy on offense. From that standpoint, Jabari absolutely could fill the same role despite being a freshman.

For vocal leadership, the point guards Thornton and Cook will be the main talkers, I think. Hood is a captain, and he will lead by example while making an adjustment to leading more by words.
    My definition would be the guy the team looks to on the court when it's time to take charge in a tight game.

Curry was absolutely that guy for Duke last season. He had "it".
    (Paige is going to be touted as a leader, but by my definition, Hairston is that guy for UNC, whenever he plays, btw).

Agreed, there are leaders in the locker room and glue guys on the floor who are very valuable and some would call leaders...but really good teams have "that guy" who really gets out front.

I certainly wouldn't say Parker can't be that guy as a freshman, or Hood as a newcomer, I just haven't seen them and am curious who it's gonna be.

And again, I'm not writing off Cook either. I think his game has a chance to surprise some people who are not paying attention to his improvement in play.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I certainly wouldn't say Parker can't be that guy as a freshman, or Hood as a newcomer, I just haven't seen them and am curious who it's gonna be.
    I'm guessing Parker and Hood are the guys.

Aha! The Plot Thickens

From the N&O article on K and leadership the following quote on the 12-minute scrimmage:

The starters won the scrimmage 29-23. Andre Dawkins, a starter on previous occasions this year, did not practice. That left fellow senior Tyler Thornton to play with Quinn Cook, Amil Jefferson, Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker on the first team. Sophomore Rasheed Sulaimon, ostensibly an off-guard, ran the blue squad on which veteran reserves Josh Hairston, Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee showed notable improvement.

Jacobs is not a regular hoops writer, I believe, so the facts may be a bit garbled. Dre has been a starter this year? Rasheed is on the reserves?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    From the N&O article on K and leadership the following quote on the 12-minute scrimmage:

Jacobs is not a regular hoops writer, I believe, so the facts may be a bit garbled. Dre has been a starter this year? Rasheed is on the reserves?

sagegrouse
    Possibly Andre was a starter on white in the blue white scrimmages (don't remember) and that is what the writer was thinking? The article is a little vague about when this closed practice scrimmage took place ("the other day").

This item interests me for another reason, though--Andre was not practicing. Again, depending on timing, suggests a possible illness or mild injury that might partially explain Andre's limited minutes in the Bowie State game.