Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Describing players as being long or having great length

Seems to me Jay Bilas started this one and I get the meaning, that wingspan and space have much to do with potential, not simply height. (Elton for example) But this one still grates me for some reason and no one says it more than Jay...

Does anyone else find the term "dribble drive" incredibly redundant? Is there another way to drive the ball without dribbling of which I'm unaware? I think Doris Burke often drops this and it kind of drives me crazy.
    “Turning down the Lakers was tough, but it is always good to renew your vows to the loves of your life.”
    -Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post
    Does anyone else find the term "dribble drive" incredibly redundant? Is there another way to drive the ball without dribbling of which I'm unaware? I think Doris Burke often drops this and it kind of drives me crazy.
    Tyler Hanstravel says "Hi".

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Anything Dick Vitale says.
    It would be amusing to get a complete list of Vitalism's but then one would have to take the TV off mute, Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    YES!!! "Natty" and "Scholly" are very annoying
    "Natty" is acceptable if followed by "Bo".

"Unanswered".

This word gets used constantly while the game is not over. So and so scored eight unanswered points. And almost always there is still plenty of time in which the other team does actually find an ANSWER. Sometimes they even go so far as things like 'Team A scored ten unanswered points to take the lead only to have Team B hit a buzzer beater three for the win'. Apparently they had an ANSWER!

It's "consecutive". Or "in a row". Or "straight". Or a "run of ___". But it's only unanswered if they other team does NOTHING after that.

Thank you.

"Big Tight End"

As opposed to the small tight end? All TEs are big, by definition...

Quote Originally Posted by jhole View Post
    Seems to me Jay Bilas started this one and I get the meaning, that wingspan and space have much to do with potential, not simply height. (Elton for example) But this one still grates me for some reason and no one says it more than Jay...
    Jay tends to wear out one adjective at a time.

For a good while, it was "long".

Then, it became "bouncy".

It is currently "tough".

"Doug Gottlieb"

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    "Doug Gottlieb"
    Ladies and gentlemen... we have ourselves a winner

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post
    I don't know how else you would describe the magic Jon Scheyer performed on occasion as he dribbled among, around, through, and between defenders, almost in slow motion to score. (I know that's repetitively redundant, but hey it gets the point across). Those were some amazing dribble drives!

"Ensuing"

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    "Unanswered".

This word gets used constantly while the game is not over. So and so scored eight unanswered points. And almost always there is still plenty of time in which the other team does actually find an ANSWER. Sometimes they even go so far as things like 'Team A scored ten unanswered points to take the lead only to have Team B hit a buzzer beater three for the win'. Apparently they had an ANSWER!

It's "consecutive". Or "in a row". Or "straight". Or a "run of ___". But it's only unanswered if they other team does NOTHING after that.

Thank you.
    Maybe you could say 7 unanswered points, and the 8th was answered.

Of course, that would just be ridiculous.