View Poll Results: Which will be the top 5 movie at the boxoffice this winter?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ender's Game

20 51.28%
  • Thor: The Dark World

36 92.31%
  • Hunger Games: Catching Fire

38 97.44%
  • Frozen

26 66.67%
  • Oldboy

0 0%
  • The Hobbit 2

38 97.44%
  • Saving Mr. Banks

0 0%
  • Anchorman 2

25 64.10%
  • Monuments Men

0 0%
  • Walking With Dinosaurs

1 2.56%
  • 47 Ronin

2 5.13%
  • Jack Ryan

5 12.82%
  • Secret Life of Walter Mitty

1 2.56%
  • American Hustle

1 2.56%
  • Other (list in post)

2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Reminds me of a few years ago when we were watching Megamind vs. Meet the Fockers for the final spot in the top 5. Fockers would eventually pass Megamind, but it was at least a week after our contest ended. Interestingly enough, last time I was rooting for the second place film; this time I'm rooting for the first place one to hold on...
    Yeah, I remember that one. It certainly makes the poll more fun to have a deadline and a close race.

Do the winter polls more often come down to the wire than summer? Or does it just feel like that?

I think American Hustle really closes the gap with Anchorman 2 this weekend and will pass it before the end of the contest. With Thursday's numbers out here, according to boxofficemojo, is where it stands between the two:

Anchorman 2: $119,931,349
    American Hustle: $105,831,191

For the 5 of us who hose Jack Ryan, I guess we are hoping for a $90 million plus opening weekend. Hahahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    For the 5 of us who chose Jack Ryan, I guess we are hoping for a $90 million plus opening weekend. Hahahahahahaha!
    Well, there isn't much competition this weekend ...

Early forecasts are the Hustle is going to do about $12 mil over the 4-day holiday weekend. I have not been able to find estimates on Anchorman 2 because it is not in the top 10 for the weekend meaning it is not likely to make more than about $4 mil at the most.

I think this is all but a done deal. American Hustle will catch Anchorman 2 by Jan 31st, probably easily.

-Jason "we have a 5-for-5 winner... just one" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Early forecasts are the Hustle is going to do about $12 mil over the 4-day holiday weekend. I have not been able to find estimates on Anchorman 2 because it is not in the top 10 for the weekend meaning it is not likely to make more than about $4 mil at the most.

I think this is all but a done deal. American Hustle will catch Anchorman 2 by Jan 31st, probably easily.

-Jason "we have a 5-for-5 winner... just one" Evans

And only one person voted for it.

After this weekend, American Hustle is $5.7 million behind Anchorman 2. It made up $8.36 million this week, likely due to Oscar buzz. Anchorman 2 wasn't buzz-worthy? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    ... Anchorman 2 wasn't buzz-worthy? LOL!
    Buzz-worthy or Gong-worthy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERBJPiYjjA

Through Monday, the totals now stand at:

American Hustle - $117,596,000
    Anchorman 2 - $122,510,000

Difference: $4,914,000

-Jason "I would expect Hustle to pass Anchorman 2 by Sunday" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Through Monday, the totals now stand at:

American Hustle - $117,596,000
    Anchorman 2 - $122,510,000

Difference: $4,914,000

-Jason "I would expect Hustle to pass Anchorman 2 by Sunday" Evans
    Through Tuesday, the totals now stand at:

American Hustle - $118,429,474
    Anchorman 2 - $122,680,315

Difference: $4,250,841

-Jason "the gap narrowed by $663,159 on Tuesday" Evans

Through Tuesday, the totals now stand at:

American Hustle - $118,429,474
    Anchorman 2 - $122,680,315

Difference: $4,250,841

-Jason "the gap narrowed by $663,159 on Tuesday" Evans
    Wednesday:
    American Hustle $765,424
    Anchorman 2 $151,716

Totals thru Wed:
    American Hustle $119,194,898
    Anchorman 2 $122,832,031

Difference: $3,637,133

-Jason "the gap narrowed by $613,708 on Wednesday" Evans

My guess is that Hustle closed the deal tonight.

American Hustle has passed Anchorman 2 for the 5th spot on the list. If the contest was a couple of weeks longer I think Ride Along and Lone Survivor would be vying for the 5th spot.

Cato,

Take a bow.

Not only did Cato go 5-for-5, something which (I believe) has only been done once in our history of picking boxoffice winers, but he was the only person in our entire contest to pick American Hustle. Tremendously impressive, my friend! Congrats!

As for the notion that Lone Survivor or Ride Along will eventually pass American Hustle, I don't think that is going to happen. Both those films are doing strong repeat business, but they are not holding up the way Hustle is and I think Hustle's legs will last a bit longer as it is a strong Academy Award contender. I expect Hustle to eventually pass the $150 million mark while I suspect Survivor and Ride will only finish up in the $130 mil kind of range.

Regardless, we clearly stated that the contest would end at the end of January and there is no chance any film catches American Hustle for #5 in our contest in the next 4 days.

As an aside, raise your hand if you had Frozen becoming the 5th biggest animated film of all time. It is currently at #6 and should pass Despicable Me 2 for the #5 spot in the next couple weeks. It will only trail Shrek 2, The Lion King, Toy Story 3, and Finding Nemo at that point. Wow... really impressive. Frozen is going to be the most popular animated movie of all time with human characters playing the leads.

-Jason "summer comes next... and we will start a bit early this year (in April) so we can include Captain America 2 which should be a contender" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Cato,

Take a bow.

Not only did Cato go 5-for-5, something which (I believe) has only been done once in our history of picking boxoffice winers, but he was the only person in our entire contest to pick American Hustle.
    How easily we forget! 4 of us went 5-5 last winter.
    Still, big congrats to Cato, always impressive when only 1 comes out on top!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Damn you Ron Burgundy and your salon quality hair.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Anchorman 2 isn't done quite yet.

In what appears to be the movie equivalent of blood replacement therapy — and possibly a cinematic first — “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues,”released in December and still on a handful of screens this week, is poised for a fresh release by Paramount Pictures in about 1,000 theaters next Friday. But with all new humor...
    What is the logic of completely overhauling a film that is already a hit? The impetus was not exactly about making more money. “Anchorman 2” has already topped $125 million in domestic ticket sales, and is likely to expand that total only slightly with a seven-day rerelease.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/mo...s&emc=rss&_r=1
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Ahhh, more Will Ferrell comedy for me to skip...