Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The IPA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Speaking of "Maine" breweries. Picked up the Kennebunkport Brewing Company IPA at Trader Joe's, which just opened up here in Austin. First IPA I've poured down the drain. Not really sure if it's even beer.
    Beers that went down the drain, instead of the esophagus: that would be a good side thread. I can't think of many that I've had that I couldn't finish (I know enough to stay away from most beers that I don't like). The only one I can think of recently was a bottle of "Indra Kunidra" from Ballast Point that my wife bought me as a surprise. She knows I like the brewery, and she read "Indian" on the label and thought it was some sort of IPA.

She was very proud of finding a new beer from a trusted brewery. Instead, it was a stout loaded with Indian spices. I discovered that, while I love a good beer with Indian food, I did not love mixing the two into one. I tried my best, but she bought me a bomber. After the second day, I poured probably 6 ounces down the drain.

Here is the brewery's description: Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Beers that went down the drain, instead of the esophagus: that would be a good side thread. I can't think of many that I've had that I couldn't finish (I know enough to stay away from most beers that I don't like). The only one I can think of recently was a bottle of "Indra Kunidra" from Ballast Point that my wife bought me as a surprise. She knows I like the brewery, and she read "Indian" on the label and thought it was some sort of IPA.

She was very proud of finding a new beer from a trusted brewery. Instead, it was a stout loaded with Indian spices. I discovered that, while I love a good beer with Indian food, I did not love mixing the two into one. I tried my best, but she bought me a bomber. After the second day, I poured probably 6 ounces down the drain.

Here is the brewery's description: Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%
    There's a Ychh, Beer thread buried somewhere on DBR. I might have a few posts in it but, like you, I think I know most beers/brewers to avoid.

Give your wife a hug and a kiss for her effort. Then let her know about the fate of the last 6 ounces. Sounds even worse than the coconut curry brew fuse reviewed a month or so ago on the Ymm, Beer thread. He wasn't sure he'd ever recover.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Have any DC-based DBR folks tried out Lost Rhino's Faceplant IPA? It's brewed just across from my office and I stop by the brewery from time to time. They seem to be doing really well in the few years they been open and recently started canning. I'm not as into IPAs as others, but I like this one.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

If any of my brews end up on/in this thread please let me know. I sure hope not
    Met with many Town Elders yesterday in South Hill and have to go to Town Council meeting Dec. 2. Brewery idea is alive and well!!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    There's a Ychh, Beer thread buried somewhere on DBR. I might have a few posts in it but, like you, I think I know most beers/brewers to avoid.

Give your wife a hug and a kiss for her effort. Then let her know about the fate of the last 6 ounces. Sounds even worse than the coconut curry brew fuse reviewed a month or so ago on the Ymm, Beer thread. He wasn't sure he'd ever recover.
    I shudder just thinking about that beer. What is even more cringeworthy is reading rave reviews about it- clearly those who enjoy it have a vastly different palate than I do.

Exit 16

I bought a sixer of Exit 16 - Flying Fish Brewing Company at Total Wine. It's a wild rice, double IPA, but at 8.2% ABV, I consider it more of a half-vast double. It, however, is excellent, very hoppy but not bitter, with a 93 rating from Beer Advocate. Proving that, contrary to most American big brewery lagers, a rice beer can have taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    I bought a sixer of Exit 16 - Flying Fish Brewing Company at Total Wine. It's a wild rice, double IPA, but at 8.2% ABV, I consider it more of a half-vast double. It, however, is excellent, very hoppy but not bitter, with a 93 rating from Beer Advocate. Proving that, contrary to most American big brewery lagers, a rice beer can have taste.
    Good point about the rice. Really strange to read a good brewer is putting rice in their beer. According to standards for categories at the GABF, that makes it an adjunct product.

Juniper IPA-Boston Beer Company

http://samueladams.s3.amazonaws.com/...ddb170a022.png

A trader from CB&B today at the tailgate at the Duke-WFU game from their holiday 12 pack sampler he said. I've never seen or heard of this before and we both found it very enjoyable. Grains are two row and honey malts, hops are Columbus and Ahtanum and the special ingredient is juniper berries. Poured a light copper with a modest, foamy head. Nose of pine and caramel and tastes of the same with a bit of sweetness. A bit thin in the IPA category at 5.8% ABV and 50 IBUs but a nice "winter" IPA I'd definitely drink again. Thanks, CB&B!

(Wonder if this belongs in the Ymm, Beer thread, too...)

A woman in Vermont was busted yesterday for selling 120 cans of Heady Topper on Craig's List. She got $28 per four pack from a Liquor Control undercover cop
    before they slapped the cuffs on her.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    A woman in Vermont was busted yesterday for selling 120 cans of Heady Topper on Craig's List. She got $28 per four pack from a Liquor Control undercover cop
    before they slapped the cuffs on her.
    Based on how excited people get about IPAs, this sounds like role-playing.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine