Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The IPA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Strongly recommend Otter Creek's Black IPA, quite popular in Vermont...
    Bring some to the NC State game if you are attending. Bring some of these, too:

http://www.hillfarmstead.com/main/

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Black IPA's

Strongly recommend Otter Creek's Black IPA, quite popular in Vermont...
    Down here, we have The Great Dismal Black IPA from O'Connor Brewing in Norfolk which is very good, but the best is probably Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous. It's phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    Down here, we have The Great Dismal Black IPA from O'Connor Brewing in Norfolk which is very good, but the best is probably Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous. It's phenomenal.
    I usually can't get into Black IPAs. Stone put an anniversary one out a couple of years ago that was the first beer of theirs I actively disliked. I do like Sublimely Self-Righteous ok. But the best one is up the coast at Firestone-Walker -- the Wookie Jack. It's the first one I've had where I really felt I was drinking an IPA, that happened to be dark. Sometimes the smokey/chocolate notes from the roasted barley just clash badly with the hopped up nature of the IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I usually can't get into Black IPAs. Stone put an anniversary one out a couple of years ago that was the first beer of theirs I actively disliked. I do like Sublimely Self-Righteous ok. But the best one is up the coast at Firestone-Walker -- the Wookie Jack. It's the first one I've had where I really felt I was drinking an IPA, that happened to be dark. Sometimes the smokey/chocolate notes from the roasted barley just clash badly with the hopped up nature of the IPA.
    WAs it Stone 15, Escondidian Imperial Black Ale? I loved that one and hope they bring it back. Wookie Jack is probably my favorite black IPA along with Sublimely and Uinta Dubhe. Victory Yakima Twilight is technically in the same category but a bit lighter...still tasty.

I generally shy away from Black IPAs (agreed on the clashing), but had a Black Racer from Bear Republic a month or two back, and thought it was quite good. It was with dinner, and I don't remember what I paired it with, but if I see it again, I will be tempted to give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Bring some to the NC State game if you are attending. Bring some of these, too:

http://www.hillfarmstead.com/main/

The TSA hates it when I bring a lot of beer with me, otherwise I would.
    Hill Farmstead is truly amazing, well worth the pilgrimage.

The TSA hates it when I bring a lot of beer with me, otherwise I would.
    Hill Farmstead is truly amazing, well worth the pilgrimage.
    I'm planning a pilgrimage up there next month to hit HF and the Alchemist..I'm down to my last can of heady topper and need to replenish.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    WAs it Stone 15, Escondidian Imperial Black Ale? I loved that one and hope they bring it back. Wookie Jack is probably my favorite black IPA along with Sublimely and Uinta Dubhe. Victory Yakima Twilight is technically in the same category but a bit lighter...still tasty.
    It was the Escondidian. I just remember having a really hard time getting through it. There was too much... something. In fact, I remember the alcohol being very evident in the taste. You usually don't want to age IPAs, but perhaps I should have let that one mellow out a little.

We are getting Uinta here in Texas very soon (if not already). I'll have to pick up the Dubhe. I drank a s**t-ton of Uinta's IPA last time I was in Vegas. Very good stuff.

I'm planning a pilgrimage up there next month to hit HF and the Alchemist..I'm down to my last can of heady topper and need to replenish.
    Fortunately The Alchemist is back from the dead after Hurricane Irene...

Odell Mountain Standard is a fantastic Black IPA.

Really, I can't plug Odell enough.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Had a decent IPA tonight from Evolution in Salisbury Maryland. It was their No. 3 IPA. Nothing I'd go out of my way for, but I wouldn't turn down a second bottle, either. What's that, Mrs. Kay? Another cold bottle? Why, sure!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Had a decent IPA tonight from Evolution in Salisbury Maryland. It was their No. 3 IPA. Nothing I'd go out of my way for, but I wouldn't turn down a second bottle, either. What's that, Mrs. Kay? Another cold bottle? Why, sure!
    A friend brought me a four pack of their #6 DIPA. Haven't tried it yet.

A well done black IPA is hard to pass up. I'd put both the Stone 15 and Victory Yakima Glory in that category. Lone Rider did a one off (Grave Digger?) black IPA that was unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    A friend brought me a four pack of their #6 DIPA. Haven't tried it yet.
    Dang. That reminded me of Lot No. 6, the IIPA you traded a couple weeks ago. I forgot to review that this week. Can't post it here either. This is the IPA thread. Will try to type in AM.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Dang. That reminded me of Lot No. 6, the IIPA you traded a couple weeks ago. I forgot to review that this week. Can't post it here either. This is the IPA thread. Will try to type in AM.
    Founders Brewing Centennial IPA. Mmm mmm good...

Founders Brewing Centennial IPA. Mmm mmm good...
    I agree. This is a really good beer.

From a January, 2010 review:

Founder's Centennial IPA-I can't recall if I had this after bluebear did his reviews on some of the Founder's stuff or not. If I did, indulge me as it is a fine IPA. If I didn't, then here's something new . Pretty classic stuff here with a golden-yellow pour, modest head and aromas of citrus early and ending with some piney notes. Modest malty balance with a hint of caramel. IBU at 65, IIRC and the ABV is 7.2%, I think. good with ribs, burgers or a bit more spicy grilled fare. CB&B stuffed this in his recent trader and this is also a fine selection. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    On behalf of the East Coast Represent consortium, Terrapin Brewery in Athens (Ga) has a number of excellent IPA strands.

The whistle is screaming . . . Terrapin.
    Agreed! While the Hopsecutioner is a staple in the beererator, I've really been enjoying the RecreationAle lately. It's probably more of a American pale ale (?) than it is an IPA so disregard for the for the purposes of this thread. Its a great session ale along the lines of NB Shift, but a bit meatier. Pairs well with more of itself...

Also, Heavy Seas Loose CANnon is quickly becoming a favorite.

Maine Brewing is great. Definitely worth trying to hunt down some Lunch. Where is Maine will you be? There are a few great beer bars in Portland, as well as Ebenezers in Lovell, which is one of the best beer bars in the world..
    Got to Maine Brewing this past weekend and have 8 different varieties. I had a Peeper during the trip that I thought was outstanding. There was no Lunch available, but hopefully I will some of the others as much as the Peeper. I am having a Mean Old Tom stout right now, that is quite tasty as well, though I don't taste the vanilla bean flavor described on the label.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Got to Maine Brewing this past weekend and have 8 different varieties. I had a Peeper during the trip that I thought was outstanding. There was no Lunch available, but hopefully I will some of the others as much as the Peeper. I am having a Mean Old Tom stout right now, that is quite tasty as well, though I don't taste the vanilla bean flavor described on the label.
    Speaking of "Maine" breweries. Picked up the Kennebunkport Brewing Company IPA at Trader Joe's, which just opened up here in Austin. First IPA I've poured down the drain. Not really sure if it's even beer.

Speaking of "Maine" breweries. Picked up the Kennebunkport Brewing Company IPA at Trader Joe's, which just opened up here in Austin. First IPA I've poured down the drain. Not really sure if it's even beer.
    I've bought a limited number of (contract brewed) Trader Joe's beverages early in their existence in Raleigh. Stopped that practice several years ago. They are just not very good unless you find their Christmas Ale which is actually a Unibroue product and is excellent. They sell it for about $6 for a corked and caged 750 ml bottle and the usual Unibroue Christmas Ale checks in at about $10 or more. IIRC, it's a spiced Belgian dubble/brown ale and is about 9% ABV. Worth a special trip to purchase a couple bottles.