Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The IPA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Yeah --- it may not be Simcoe.

I've been trying to drink some single hopped IPAs to get a hold on what hops I like and which I don't. But I have a terrible palate and can't seem to differentiate as well as I'd like either. But some of the best IPAs I've had have been single hopped -- Bell's Two Hearted (Centennial) and 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust (Citra) are two. I've home brewed a NZ IPA twice with Nelson Sauvign and Pacifica -- both really good.
    Sam Adams did an interesting thing a couple years ago. They released 12 packs of Latitude IPA, IIRC, with 5 different hops used in that brew. Then, several months later, they released 12 packs (I think) of single hopped IPAs from that original "experiment." I'll see if I can find some old reviews for those. I'm not sure I bought all the single hop brewings though. There's only so much beer that can enter the devildeac household.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sam Adams did an interesting thing a couple years ago. They released 12 packs of Latitude IPA, IIRC, with 5 different hops used in that brew. Then, several months later, they released 12 packs (I think) of single hopped IPAs from that original "experiment." I'll see if I can find some old reviews for those. I'm not sure I bought all the single hop brewings though. There's only so much beer that can enter the devildeac household.
    Here ya go (from 2010-I was off a year):

Latitude 48 IPA-mystery brewer

A new and very pleasant surprise found in my recent trader with a drug rep in my office this week. Pours a clear golden-amber color with a mildly foamy 1-2 finger head and a crisp grapefuity nose and taste. Plenty of malty balance. I'm gonna guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV on the bottle is 5.8%. Fine with mildly spicy foods.

Here's the brewer's notes:

Samuel Adams® Latitude 48 IPA is a unique IPA brewed with a select blend of hops from top German, English, and American growing regions all located close to the 48th latitude within the “hop belt” of the Northern Hemisphere. The combination of hops in this beer creates a distinctive but not overpowering hop character. The beer is dry hopped with Ahtanum, Simcoe®*, and East Kent Goldings hops for a powerful citrus and earthy aroma. The hop character is balanced by a slight sweetness and full body from the malt blend.

Wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy a 6er and have a couple more for trading a few, too

[QUOTE=A-Tex Devil;670095]Interesting. Bell's Two Hearted, 60 minute, etc. are maltier than the typical West Coast IPA, right? We did a side by side of 60 minute and Stone. Both very good, but there was no question which was which. QUOTE]

I think that is spot on - the maltiness in those two gives them a softer, more floral finish than the West Coast IPAs. My palate is not very sophisticated either. I just know what I like best after having tried a bunch of these, and time has left me both pickier and less adventurous.

Doesn't mean I would turn down a Two Hearted or a 60 Minute if offered. Quite the contrary. Both are fine beers from generally excellent breweries. They would just be down the list a bit if given the choice. High class problem if you ask me.

I just couldn't resist:

Ratebeer's Top 25 IPAs:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/i...le-ale-ipa/17/

I have the twelve pack of this but it is frightfully old to be a good hop comparison. Never had critical mass to do the tastings.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I have the twelve pack of this but it is frightfully old to be a good hop comparison. Never had critical mass to do the tastings.
    Man, that is old. I'm glad I didn't receive any of those in our trading sessions recently.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Yeah --- it may not be Simcoe.

I've been trying to drink some single hopped IPAs to get a hold on what hops I like and which I don't. But I have a terrible palate and can't seem to differentiate as well as I'd like either. But some of the best IPAs I've had have been single hopped -- Bell's Two Hearted (Centennial) and 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust (Citra) are two. I've home brewed a NZ IPA twice with Nelson Sauvign and Pacifica -- both really good.
    I had a NZ IPA (kinda) for the first time a week or so ago -- Green Bullet from Green Flash, another great local brewery. I realized it was a tad high in the alcohol content from the taste, but not how high. I had two with a light dinner, and woke up with a headache. An interesting beer, but it deserved greater respect than I gave it.

Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale: PA or IPA at 6.5% ABV and 65 IBUs?

Deviant Dale's: IPA or IIPA at 8% ABV and 85 IBU?

Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale: PA or IPA at 6.5% ABV and 65 IBUs?

Deviant Dale's: IPA or IIPA at 8% ABV and 85 IBU?
    What about the Lagunita's a Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale (one of my all time favorites)...does it count as an IPA? I know Lagunita's labels it as a "wheat pale ale"...but it is 7.5 ABV and 64 IBUs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    What about the Lagunita's a Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale (one of my all time favorites)...does it count as an IPA? I know Lagunita's labels it as a "wheat pale ale"...but it is 7.5 ABV and 64 IBUs.
    Zombie Dust (pale ale or truly an IPA?) and All Day IPA (IPA or truly a pale ale?) are similarly "mislabeled." That said, I think the brewer has full discretion. I know the GABF is like a dog show -- in that it is supposed to meet the requirements of the variety. So, for instance, Lagunitas might throw LSS into a "wheat pale ale" category, and it might be the best tasting. But if it doesn't meet the standards of the judges for "wheat pale ale" because it's too hoppy or whatever, then it won't win. Not commenting on the merits of such a judging system, just laying it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I am partial to the West Coast strain, but personal favorites (ABV <= 8%) are as follows:

Stone Ruination
    Heady Topper (the Alchemist)
    Lagunitas Sucks
    Stone IPA
    Hop Devil (Victory)
    Doubled Fisted IPA (Revolution)
    Racer 5 (Bear Republic)
    Blind Pig (Russian River)
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo
    Lagunitas IPA

I have always found Dogfish Head 60 and Bell's Two Hearted to be somewhat blander than any of the above, and therefore less appealing to my personal tastes. I am not really familiar with any of the Southern regional microbrews, but would love to be enlightened.
    On behalf of the East Coast Represent consortium, Terrapin Brewery in Athens (Ga) has a number of excellent IPA strands.

The whistle is screaming . . . Terrapin.

I just couldn't resist:

Ratebeer's Top 25 IPAs:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/i...le-ale-ipa/17/
    Thanks for sharing that. I am off to Maine for my first overnight trip there in 20 years and my impression is there are a number of good microbrews there and it looks like Maine Brewing Company will have to be one I look for.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Thanks for sharing that. I am off to Maine for my first overnight trip there in 20 years and my impression is there are a number of good microbrews there and it looks like Maine Brewing Company will have to be one I look for.
    Maine Brewing is great. Definitely worth trying to hunt down some Lunch. Where is Maine will you be? There are a few great beer bars in Portland, as well as Ebenezers in Lovell, which is one of the best beer bars in the world..

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    On behalf of the East Coast Represent consortium, Terrapin Brewery in Athens (Ga) has a number of excellent IPA strands.

The whistle is screaming . . . Terrapin.
    Thanks - I will definitely search out some Terrapin IPAs. Love the Dead reference too

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Maine Brewing is great. Definitely worth trying to hunt down some Lunch. Where is Maine will you be? There are a few great beer bars in Portland, as well as Ebenezers in Lovell, which is one of the best beer bars in the world..
    Probably stopping in Bangor on the way to Kittery / Portsmouth or Portland, then stopping in Freeport on the way back. Don't think we will get to Lovell this time around (I just looked it up on Google Maps), but may hit there next year? on the way to North Conway area. Will try to get some Lunch.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Probably stopping in Bangor on the way to Kittery / Portsmouth or Portland, then stopping in Freeport on the way back. Don't think we will get to Lovell this time around (I just looked it up on Google Maps), but may hit there next year? on the way to North Conway area. Will try to get some Lunch.
    If you make it to Portland..head over to this place..
    http://www.novareresbiercafe.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    If you make it to Portland..head over to this place..
    http://www.novareresbiercafe.com
    Will try my best.

Talking

Next thing you know, we'll have imperial stout and barleywine threads.
    Would there be anything wrong with that? :-) I've recently discovered the glory of barleywines (just had Sierra Nevada's barleywine a couple nights ago) and I'm enjoying this wonderful twist on beer immensely!

Strongly recommend Otter Creek's Black IPA, quite popular in Vermont...

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Would there be anything wrong with that? :-) I've recently discovered the glory of barleywines (just had Sierra Nevada's barleywine a couple nights ago) and I'm enjoying this wonderful twist on beer immensely!
    "Off topic" but Big Foot is a huge hop bomb. I've stopped buying it but have several from 2007-2010 that are still aging. They become more wine-y with age but still loaded with hop bitterness. There are several other barleywines I enjoy more like Duck Rabbit, Olde School/Dogfish Head, Old Foghorn/Anchor, Old Horizontal/Victory, Old Boardhead/Full Sail and Old Knucklehead/Bridgeport are in that group, some of which are not available on the east coast.