Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In the ESPN article, at least the version I read earlier today, the NCAA spokeswoman makes a point about the cooperation of Miami in the investigation as significant mitigating factor. One can only hope this turns against those that don't cooperate and instead conduct bogus investigations of themselves that never turn up any wrongdoing.

The punishment to Miami was fair. Miami not only skipped two bowl games, but skipped the ACC Title game last year, meaning they potentially skipped a BCS game. They also may have self-imposed some scholarship restrictions.

I don't think the small scholarship restriction will hurt them in any meaningful sense, and now the program can finally move on. Good day for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    In the ESPN article, at least the version I read earlier today, the NCAA spokeswoman makes a point about the cooperation of Miami in the investigation as significant mitigating factor. One can only hope this turns against those that don't cooperate and instead conduct bogus investigations of themselves that never turn up any wrongdoing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabdul Doobakus View Post
    The punishment to Miami was fair. Miami not only skipped two bowl games, but skipped the ACC Title game last year, meaning they potentially skipped a BCS game. They also may have self-imposed some scholarship restrictions.

I don't think the small scholarship restriction will hurt them in any meaningful sense, and now the program can finally move on. Good day for the program.
    Well, the other contributing factor is the NCAA misbehavior in the legal investigation, where the NCAA attorneys unethically worked with the accused booster,Nevin Shapiro, and his lawyers to get dirt on Miami. Miami was gonna be dealt with leniently.

I agree that the punishment was fair but I disagree that the loss of nine scholarships won't hurt the Canes. USC lost twice as many, and the Trojans have had trouble winning half their games. Miami's smaller penalty has to have an effect.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, the other contributing factor is the NCAA misbehavior in the legal investigation, where the NCAA attorneys unethically worked with the accused booster,Nevin Shapiro, and his lawyers to get dirt on Miami. Miami was gonna be dealt with leniently.

I agree that the punishment was fair but I disagree that the loss of nine scholarships won't hurt the Canes. USC lost twice as many, and the Trojans have had trouble winning half their games. Miami's smaller penalty has to have an effect.

sagegrouse
    I think a very small effect. USC lost more than three times as many (not twice as many). 10 a year is enough to significantly deplete a talent pool. I'm not really sure 3 a year is going to have a significant effect. I doubt it leads to any loss of top level talent, but it may hurt their depth just a little.

For what it's worth, a 3-star DL recruit who had previously committed to USC announced he was going to go to Miami instead, literally hours after the NCAA announcement. Not sure if there's any connection there, but it's interesting.

Miami's punishment

I'm tired of those crying that Miami got off light, especially compared to UNC ...

UNC got a one-year bowl ban.

Miami got a TWO-YEAR bowl ban.

The difference is that Miami knew their program was screwed up and self-imposed bowl bans before the NCAA could rule. They passed up a bowl in 2011 and 2012.

UNC was so arrogant that they were sure THEY wouldn't get a bowl ban, so they refused to self-impose. They got to go get whipped by Missouri in the 2011 Independence Bowl.

Then they got hit by last year's bowl ban which kept them out of a decent bowl and the ACC championship game ... and despite their self-proclaimed title, they were officially banned by the ACC from winning the Division title (which didn't stop them from passing out division title rings).

And neither UNC nor the NCAA has addressed the AFAM scandal that has emerged since the NCAA was on campus.

I'd say Miami is the one that ought to be screaming about unfairness -- what UNC did was MUCH worse ... and their punishment was less.

The Miami Herald agrees

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    The NCAA really shot themselves in the foot with their own miscues:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/2...ed-lessen.html

Not to mention that their delays allowed Shalala plenty of wiggle room:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/2...la-lauded.html

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'm tired of those crying that Miami got off light, especially compared to UNC ...

UNC got a one-year bowl ban.

Miami got a TWO-YEAR bowl ban.

The difference is that Miami knew their program was screwed up and self-imposed bowl bans before the NCAA could rule. They passed up a bowl in 2011 and 2012.

UNC was so arrogant that they were sure THEY wouldn't get a bowl ban, so they refused to self-impose. They got to go get whipped by Missouri in the 2011 Independence Bowl.

Then they got hit by last year's bowl ban which kept them out of a decent bowl and the ACC championship game ... and despite their self-proclaimed title, they were officially banned by the ACC from winning the Division title (which didn't stop them from passing out division title rings).

And neither UNC nor the NCAA has addressed the AFAM scandal that has emerged since the NCAA was on campus.

I'd say Miami is the one that ought to be screaming about unfairness -- what UNC did was MUCH worse ... and their punishment was less.
    Agree with all of this. As a Miami Law alum, I can say that everyone in Miami circles is glad the NCAA came to its senses and didn't impose any further harsh sanctions (not making light of the lost scholarships and the show-cause penalties). Imposing a bowl ban would have been immediately appealed and not even decided until after this year would end, so Miami was going to go to a bowl game anyway. A 2-year ban (self-imposed) was enough. Miami is ready to close this dark chapter and turn the page.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Formula for success in college football

1. If another school threatens you, get you AD to head the committee, investigate, and throw the book at them.
    2. Cheat like hell. Honor boosters who pay players, look the other way.
    3. Set up no work easy A classes for athletes. Let a few frat brothers who don't play sports in to make it look good.
    4. When the NCAA investigates, slap yourselves on the wrist, cooperate.
    5. Accept light punishment, or not punishment re 2 above.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    4. When the NCAA investigates, slap yourselves on the wrist, cooperate.
    5. Accept light punishment, or not punishment re 2 above.
    You seem to be saying that a 2 year bowl ban, including one year when you would likely have played in a BCS bowl, is a "slap on the wrist." I don't see it that way at all. What kind of punishment do you think Miami should have gotten beyond a 2 year bowl ban and significant (3 per year is a lot for a football team) scholarship reductions? It is pretty darn rare for the NCAA to go to a 3-year bowl ban. Considering Miami's cooperation and the NCAA's own misdoings in this investigation, I think 2 is more than appropriate.

-Jason "the thing I love about USC football is that they find ways to expose their backside to the world even when the story has nothing to do with them. Whew, am I glad I don't root for that team!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

What about the BB coach?

The former Miami BB coach paid $10,000 hush money TWICE and gets a 5 game suspension. Tennessee's Bruce Pearl committed the unforgivable sin of having a recruit to his house for a cookout and gets thrown out of BB for several yrs. Admittedly he tried to cover it up and lied to the NCAA but really where is the justice there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    The former Miami BB coach paid $10,000 hush money TWICE and gets a 5 game suspension. Tennessee's Bruce Pearl committed the unforgivable sin of having a recruit to his house for a cookout and gets thrown out of BB for several yrs. Admittedly he tried to cover it up and lied to the NCAA but really where is the justice there.
    Lying to the prosecutors and regulators is highly penalized because the authorities believe it undermines the entire system. Martha Stewart may have a few thoughts on this subject.

sagegrouse

What Miami should have got

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You seem to be saying that a 2 year bowl ban, including one year when you would likely have played in a BCS bowl, is a "slap on the wrist." I don't see it that way at all. What kind of punishment do you think Miami should have gotten beyond a 2 year bowl ban and significant (3 per year is a lot for a football team) scholarship reductions? It is pretty darn rare for the NCAA to go to a 3-year bowl ban. Considering Miami's cooperation and the NCAA's own misdoings in this investigation, I think 2 is more than appropriate.

-Jason "the thing I love about USC football is that they find ways to expose their backside to the world even when the story has nothing to do with them. Whew, am I glad I don't root for that team!!" Evans
    Lets see:
    Miami had multiple offenses in mulitple sports over 10 years. The benefactor was a booster who was honorerd by the school. Coaches knew what was going on and did nothing and lied.
    USC had one player involved. Most of the benefits were received by his parents 100 miles away. The benefactors were ex-cons who were unknown to USC and the sports world in general. The ex-cons said that one USC assistant coach knew, he denies it and is suiing the NCAA.

The difference is that Miami knew they were very guilty and bent over for the NCAA. USC cooperated, at least to the extent of NCAA requirements but did not punish themselves, I think because they expected a fairly light punishment. USC believed their coach and thought no one at the school was aware of the problem, see Corey Maggette and Duke.

Both schools received similar punishments regarding bowl games. If USC lost 30 scholarships, then Miami should have lost at least 90.

BTW I think USC got over easy in the OJ Mayo case but thats another story.

SoCal

Oner More Thing

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Everything is relative. I think the real problem is not that Miami got off too easy, its that USC got punished too hard.
    Compared to USC Miami got a wrist slap.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Lets see:
    Miami had multiple offenses in mulitple sports over 10 years. The benefactor was a booster who was honorerd by the school. Coaches knew what was going on and did nothing and lied.
    USC had one player involved. Most of the benefits were received by his parents 100 miles away. The benefactors were ex-cons who were unknown to USC and the sports world in general. The ex-cons said that one USC assistant coach knew, he denies it and is suiing the NCAA.

The difference is that Miami knew they were very guilty and bent over for the NCAA. USC cooperated, at least to the extent of NCAA requirements but did not punish themselves, I think because they expected a fairly light punishment. USC believed their coach and thought no one at the school was aware of the problem, see Corey Maggette and Duke.

Both schools received similar punishments regarding bowl games. If USC lost 30 scholarships, then Miami should have lost at least 90.

BTW I think USC got over easy in the OJ Mayo case but thats another story.

SoCal
    I agree with SoCal on this - miami's program was fully corrupted for a very long time . Once caught they couldn't deny it - only the NCAA investigators mucked up the process. I still don't understand how the Heels have avoided similar penalties. The academic corruption is a given, just the known payments to athletes are smaller. Seems that USC violations not nearly as severe as Miami or the Heels.

How many games did Miami have to vacate?

10 years of using players who received improper benefits?

SoCal

Frank's take

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Curiously, Haith seems to think that he's the victim here:

"While I strongly disagree with today's report, and the inference on how the program was run at the University of Miami, as head basketball coach during that period, I accept responsibility for all actions in and around that program," Haith said in a statement. "This has been an excruciating ordeal for my family. An appeal, which would likely drag further into the season, would only prolong what has already been a lengthy and trying period of time for our student-athletes, the University of Missouri and our fans, and it's time for closure."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ive-games-ncaa

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Curiously, Haith seems to think that he's the victim here:

"While I strongly disagree with today's report, and the inference on how the program was run at the University of Miami, as head basketball coach during that period, I accept responsibility for all actions in and around that program," Haith said in a statement. "This has been an excruciating ordeal for my family. An appeal, which would likely drag further into the season, would only prolong what has already been a lengthy and trying period of time for our student-athletes, the University of Missouri and our fans, and it's time for closure."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ive-games-ncaa
    Haith should've been suspended for a year. I don't care that it penalizes Missouri. Missouri hired him away from Miami at a time when the Shapiro scandal had already broken, and it was quite apparent that Haith was deeply involved in the wrongdoing. They took a chance on hiring the slimeball, so sorry, they should pay the price too.

When you're right you're right

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Haith should've been suspended for a year. I don't care that it penalizes Missouri. Missouri hired him away from Miami at a time when the Shapiro scandal had already broken, and it was quite apparent that Haith was deeply involved in the wrongdoing. They took a chance on hiring the slimeball, so sorry, they should pay the price too.
    Frank Haith is even worse than I thought. While the guy continues to collect his $1.6 million dollar salary at Missouri, the Miami Herald reports that Jorge Fernandez, one of the assistant coaches who was doing his dirty work, has lost his $138,000 UM salary and will soon lose his house to foreclosure:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/2...assistant.html

Sportswriter Linda Robertson (a UNC alum) called Haith out a few days ago in another story:

Former basketball coach Frank Haith is portrayed [in the NCAA report] as a liar who changed his story three times and a manipulator who let his assistants do the dirty work. Haith escaped Miami for a better job at Missouri as the scandal was unfolding. Because of his “unethical conduct,” he will be suspended the first five games of the season, but two UM assistants left holding the bag have been blackballed from coaching.

The most comical example of a coverup in the UM case occurred when Haith wrote three “summer camp advance” checks to his assistants, who promptly cashed them at the same time at the same bank. Then [former assistant] Jake Morton, leaving a cellphone trail, delivered the $10,000 to Shapiro’s mother in order to placate Shapiro, who had been making calls from prison, threatening to expose Haith and Morton’s visit to a strip club and their $10,000 inducement — care of Shapiro — to a recruit. The assistants later lied to the NCAA about how they used the cash; one said it was for an air conditioner at his house.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/2...#storylink=cpy

So here is the bottom line: Fernandez and Morton are out of basketball for doing Haith's bidding, while the guy responsible will be suspended for five games and then will go on, no harm no foul. Unbelievable.

I can only hope that Haith's lousy coaching will catch up with him and that he will soon join the other two in the unemployment line.
    Last edited by miramar; 10-27-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    The FSU game will be THE game in my law school alma mater's circles. Virginia Tech won't be #14 when Miami faces them since we plan on beating them on Saturday.
    I don't like tooting my own horn, but with our HUGENORMOUS win over VT yesterday and College Gameday heading to the U/FSU game next weekend, I had to show myself some love.

Miami plays FSU then VT and then us. These next three weeks are a giant test for the Canes.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA