Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    GT defeats Pitt, 21-10. Go Tigers.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Hurricanes being downgraded now by f$u, 35-14, early in 4Q with the 'Noles on the move. I'm glad we don't have to play the Tallahassee team this year. Until the ACC championship game, anyway.

The NBC News election desk has called tonight's game for FSU. Again, we are projecting FSU as the winner of tonight's game with 35/49ths of the points scored ...

FSU 8-0 (6-0) [@wfu, syr, idaho, @uf]

Clem 8-1 (6-1) [gt, citadel, @socar]
    Mia 7-1 (3-1) [vt, @duke, uva, @pitt]

Duke 6-2 (2-2) [ncsu, miami, @wfu, @unc]

VT 6-3 (3-2) [@mia, md, @uva]
    GT 6-3 (5-2) [@clemson, ala&m, uga]
    MD 5-3 (1-3) [syr, @vt, bc, @ncsu]

Syr 4-4 (2-2) [@md, @fsu, pitt, bc]
    BC 4-4 (2-3) [@nmst, ncsu, @md, @syr]
    Pitt 4-4 (2-3) [nd, unc, @syr, miami]

WFU 4-5 (2-4) [fsu, duke, @vandy]
    UNC 3-5 (2-3) [uva, @pitt, odu, duke]
    State 3-5 (0-5) [@duke, @bc, ecu, md]

UVA 2-7 (0-5) [@unc, @miami, vt]

The Road to Charlotte:

Mia 3-1 [vt, @duke, uva, @pitt]
    GT 5-2 [@clemson]
    VT 3-2 [@mia, md, @uva]
    Duke 2-2 [ncsu, miami, @wfu, @unc]
    Pitt 2-3 [unc, @syr, miami]
    UNC 2-3 [uva, @pitt, duke]
    UVA 0-5 [@unc, @miami, vt]

So basically, Clemson over GT is a must-win for Duke.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

tiebreakers

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    So basically, Clemson over GT is a must-win for Duke.
    Yep ... in terms of playing in the ACC championship game. Although every team that ties for first shares the Division title (technically, there are no tiebreakers for that).

On the other hand, if Clemson does beat Georgia Tech in Death Valley them our fate I in our own hands. That's the only help we need outside our control.

If we take care of business against NC State, then we'll know where we stand when we face Miami -- since the GT at Clemson game is on Thursday night two days before we face the Canes.

Last [and only] time Duke has ever beaten Miami in football was the day I was the last baby born at Watts Hospital. (Later the NC School of Science and Math). There were tornadoes in Durham County. They drug me and my moms to Durham General in an ambo. I'm recently 37.

So, I guess we're due.

(That said, we didn't play them regularly until they joined the ACC).

You can win a trivia question with other DBR people you know. Who got c-sectioned on the only day Duke beat Miami in football?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Last [and only] time Duke has ever beaten Miami in football was the day I was the last baby born at Watts Hospital. (Later the NC School of Science and Math). There were tornadoes in Durham County. They drug me and my moms to Durham General in an ambo. I'm recently 37.

So, I guess we're due.

(That said, we didn't play them regularly until they joined the ACC).

You can win a trivia question with other DBR people you know. Who got c-sectioned on the only day Duke beat Miami in football?
    I am usually superstitous and want people to do the same thing everyday during a winning streak or the last time Duke won. However, for your mother's sake.......

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Yep ... in terms of playing in the ACC championship game. Although every team that ties for first shares the Division title (technically, there are no tiebreakers for that).

On the other hand, if Clemson does beat Georgia Tech in Death Valley them our fate I in our own hands. That's the only help we need outside our control.

If we take care of business against NC State, then we'll know where we stand when we face Miami -- since the GT at Clemson game is on Thursday night two days before we face the Canes.
    And Duke's chances to beat Miami inched upward late in the 4th quarter of the FSU-Miami game late last PM.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-hurting-ankle

Of course, we have a game before that so let's take care of business and beat the Pack this Saturday.

No worries; conference realignment has me confused too. I just watched West Virginia beat Texas Christian in a Big East game. I think.
    West Virginia and TCU are in the Big 12, which has 10 teams.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Getting a share of the Coastal title and NOT playing FSU wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And Duke's chances to beat Miami inched upward late in the 4th quarter of the FSU-Miami game late last PM.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-hurting-ankle

Of course, we have a game before that so let's take care of business and beat the Pack this Saturday.
    Further, Wake's star receiver, Michael Campanaro, is out 4-6 with a broken shoulder.

Take care of business time.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Further, Wake's star receiver, Michael Campanaro, is out 4-6 with a broken shoulder.

Take care of business time.
    Yep. Bob Green posted that in another thread and I put some rushing and receiving stats up in the ACC Championship Vigil thread. I think. Too much football and posting yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    West Virginia and TCU are in the Big 12, which has 10 teams.
    Apparently, they've gone metric. Carter was right, just 30 years too early.

Quote Originally Posted by ForkFondler View Post
    Getting a share of the Coastal title and NOT playing FSU wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.
    Um, I'm kinda thinking the same thing. I want to compete for championships and will root like hell if we get there. But, I don't care who you are -- the 'Noles are a damn spicy meatball.

Olympic fan

My optimism went w-a-a-a-y up after learning that we'll get Miami without Duke Johnson and Wake without Michael Campanero.

I'm sorry for the kids and don't wish misfortune on anybody, but I won't apologize for celebrating when the injury gods help us for a change.

Still, nothing guaranteed, but I'd guess that our chances of beating Wake went from 55 percent to around 70 percent (Campanero is THAT important to them) and our chances of beating Miami went from 30 percent to 40 percent (Crawford is a very good backup, but Johnson is the best RB/KR in the ACC).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Um, I'm kinda thinking the same thing. I want to compete for championships and will root like hell if we get there. But, I don't care who you are -- the 'Noles are a damn spicy meatball.
    Absolutely agreed. Usually I'd feel like, "we'd have nothing to lose, so let's go to the ACC Championship game and not worry about the result." But, honestly, I'd have mixed feelings about going there to play the best team the ACC has had since the 'Noles last national champion. FSU is going to destroy whoever they play in that game. It'd be great for Duke and for our players to be able to say that they played in the ACC championship game...but I think I'd be praying that they just escaped the game uninjured and without getting beaten too badly. Watching the second half of the FSU-Miami game, I kept thinking, "I want no part of that team."

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...cutcliffe#more

HD: Is there anything I didn't ask you that you want to get out there?

DC: We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...cutcliffe#more

HD: Is there anything I didn't ask you that you want to get out there?

DC: We want people to understand we're here to win championships. People are going to laugh. I hope they do. It just adds fuel to the fire.
    Oh, I have no doubt that Dave Cutcliffe, and the entire team, wouldn't think twice about taking on FSU in the championship game. And they'd go there with every intention of taking home the trophy. I look at my trepidation about that matchup in the same way that I get nervous when my daughter does anything on the balance beam in gymnastics while my daughter and her instructor look totally cool calm and collected about it. Nervous parent/fan syndrome. If Duke fights their way into the championship game, Cutcliffe and our players will gladly take on the FSU juggernaut.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Oh, I have no doubt that Dave Cutcliffe, and the entire team, wouldn't think twice about taking on FSU in the championship game. And they'd go there with every intention of taking home the trophy. I look at my trepidation about that matchup in the same way that I get nervous when my daughter does anything on the balance beam in gymnastics while my daughter and her instructor look totally cool calm and collected about it. Nervous parent/fan syndrome. If Duke fights their way into the championship game, Cutcliffe and our players will gladly take on the FSU juggernaut.
    I have no doubt that our coaches and team would go full throttle to take on FL State or anyone else in the conference championship game. My concern is more about the increased likelihood of injuries, specially significant ones. The concern about significant injuries is more about avoiding them and their possible long range effect than it is about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I have no doubt that our coaches and team would go full throttle to take on FL State or anyone else in the conference championship game. My concern is more about the increased likelihood of injuries, specially significant ones. The concern about significant injuries is more about avoiding them and their possible long range effect than it is about anything else.
    I agree that I wouldn't want in long-lasting effects on the football team if Duke were to play FSU in the ACC championship game. That said, if Duke were to play FSU in the championship game this season, it would mean that Duke went 10-2 for the season. I'd take that in a heartbeat!! And even if Duke was so banged up that they lose the bowl game, we'd still be 10-3; and I think the coverage, recruiting gains and notoriety of Duke playing in what should be a good bowl would so outweigh any negative effects of mental and/or physical health the team might incur from playing FSU.

Personally, I think Duke could put a scare in FSU because for the first time in years, Duke can use 2 good mobile quarterbacks against them (assuming Boone, Connette, the O-line and offense are sharp ).

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    And even if Duke was so banged up that they lose the bowl game, we'd still be 10-3; and I think the coverage, recruiting gains and notoriety of Duke playing in what should be a good bowl would so outweigh any negative effects of mental and/or physical health the team might incur from playing FSU.
    10-4. But I agree with all your points. Count me in the camp that desires to see us win out and take on FSU in the ACCCG.
    Bob Green