Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    As a matter of love and principle, I have to root for Spurrier and South Carolina over Clemson, but if Clemson wins, that vaults them into the BCS, perhaps freeing up a better ACC bowl for Duke (should Duke not be in your scenario #1, heading to Miami). So, I root for South Carolina, but will not be upset if Clemson wins.
    Interestingly, a lot of the most recent bowl projections are calling for Duke vs. South Carolina in the Peach Bowl. I'd think that would be fun for longtime Dukies who can remember Spurrier's time in Durham (and the "Hey Steve. Leave the playbook." banner at the '89 All-American Bowl). It would also make for an easy story on top of Duke's already-appealing team story, resulting in some great national exposure for our program.
    I will be on the West Coast and unable to attend this year's bowl game, but I would be very excited about a matchup like that. Plus, the Peach Bowl is always a really fun game and a very well-managed event (I've been 8 or 10 times over the years), and I would highly recommend it for anyone considering the bowl trip.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    GT over UGA might have just gotten much more likely, as Aaron Murray has torn his ACL and will never play another down for the Dawgs.
    Should have been a penalty on that tackle -- not that a flag would bring back Murray.

Too bad, he is a very good QB. Hope for a full recovery.

Oregon's loss had the biggest effect on the BCS futures. Because of that loss and how many SEC teams are always in the top 14, I think it doesn't matter if Clemson loses to Spurrier. They will get a BCS slot either way at this point. The things that can mess up Clemson at this point are Ohio State losing to Mich State in the B10 champ game or FSU losing to the Coastal champ.

For South Carolina to fall to the CFA/Peach Bowl (6th slot in SEC pecking order), these things likely need to happen:
    1) Clemson beats SC
    2) Texas A&M beats Missouri, putting SC in the SEC championship game.
    3) LSU beats Arkansas
    4) SC loses to Alabama or Auburn.

Peachy or Sunny or Russell-y?

Seems like we can't fall further than the top three ACC non-BCS bowls (even if Clemson gacks up against Spurrier). I went back and looked at where this thread started, and--dad gum! How our expectations have grown!

Again, if Cutcliffe tells me what our team is capable of, I'm going to listen to the man.

Quote Originally Posted by bleudiable View Post
    Seems like we can't fall further than the top three ACC non-BCS bowls (even if Clemson gacks up against Spurrier). I went back and looked at where this thread started, and--dad gum! How our expectations have grown!

Again, if Cutcliffe tells me what our team is capable of, I'm going to listen to the man.
    To get in the top bowls, we need to beat UNC. Besides that triggering the guarantee not to fall below the Sun Bowl, it separates us by rule from the 4 loss teams. If we lose to Carolina, we are tied with a bunch of other 3 loss teams and lose out on the opportunity for national exposure in the ACCCG.

curious

Is there a scenario in which we lose this week and still get FSU? I am hoping it won't matter, but too many teams and tie-breakers for my tiny brain.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Is there a scenario in which we lose this week and still get FSU? I am hoping it won't matter, but too many teams and tie-breakers for my tiny brain.

Go Duke!
    Duke cannot lose to UNC and still make the ACC Championship Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Sure simplifies things. Carolina delenda est.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post

Go Duke!
    There was before this past weekend, but not now. We win and we get the Coastal Division championship outright, no tiebreakers. We lose and we have to share the title with the heels, GT, and possibly VT and Miami. Either GT or VT would go to the ACCCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Thanks very much. As though I needed another reason!

Go Duke

Miami can also go to the ACCCG

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    There was before this past weekend, but not now. We win and we get the Coastal Division championship outright, no tiebreakers. We lose and we have to share the title with the heels, GT, and possibly VT and Miami. Either GT or VT would go to the ACCCG.
    If Duke & Virginia Tech both lose and Miami wins, then Miami goes to the ACCCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Beat the Holes! We did not come this far to share squat!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Beat the Holes! We did not come this far to share squat!
    Right, we're the only team that can win the thing outright. I hope that we beat UNC and then plaster the state with billboards proclaiming our dominance. In football.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Right, we're the only team that can win the thing outright. I hope that we beat UNC and then plaster the state with billboards proclaiming our dominance. In football.
    A win at Chapel Hill would make Duke Football Champions of the State of North Carolina, a title to be added to the Football Champions of the Commonwealth of Virginia, also attained this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    A win at Chapel Hill would make Duke Football Champions of the State of North Carolina, a title to be added to the Football Champions of the Commonwealth of Virginia, also attained this year.
    It actually would make us two time champions of the state...last year we shared the title with NC State.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    It actually would make us two time champions of the state...last year we shared the title with NC State.
    If we lose, the title goes to ECU, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    If we lose, the title goes to ECU, right?
    Well, we'd be 3-1 (4-1 if you include NC Central), and ECU would be 2-0, with of course no meetings between Duke and ECU. So not sure how to call that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Well, we'd be 3-1 (4-1 if you include NC Central), and ECU would be 2-0, with of course no meetings between Duke and ECU. So not sure how to call that one.
    Actually, Duke would be 3-1 WITH the NCCU win.

But Duke is looking pretty good for the State of Virginia title.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Actually, Duke would be 3-1 WITH the NCCU win.

But Duke is looking pretty good for the State of Virginia title.
    Still gotta beat Richmond to unofficially claim that title.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.