Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Perhaps there is Justise?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yikes!

Chad Lykins, who works with Adam Rowe on Blue Devil Lair, just changed his pick from Duke to Florida.

When the Duke insiders start picking against Duke, that's a bad sign.

-Jason "bahhh, we didn't want him anyway, right? Ha!" Evans
    FWIW, it looks as if he logged his Justise to Duke pick just one minute after changing his Looney pick.

Whatever is going on, guess that we'll know more soon.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

3 minutes from Looney's announcement, 76% have Duke. But late money is with Florida (7 of the last 8)

Well the director of 247 just tweeted he keeps hearing its going to be someone other than Duke but the other school named is all over the map.

Lock this thread?

Schneided on Looney. 0-fer.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Looney to UCLA makes the crystal ball zero for 34. Looks like that crystal ball ain't so crystal clear.

And he picks UCLA, which not a single analyst had predicted. 0 for 34.

"Strange" seems to have been the appropriate word here.

So now with both Okonoboh and Looney in the books, the 24/7 CB is not impressing.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Well the director of 247 just tweeted he keeps hearing its going to be someone other than Duke but the other school named is all over the map.
    Well, we should probably just close this thread down now, huh? Kevon flummoxes the Crystal Ball.

Predictive power of 24/7 = 0.

before you lock this thread.

Lets do some 2 point statistics on the 247 sports thread.

For one player everyone switched their prediction in the last few hours to hopefully be correct.

For another player the school that was picked wasn't even predicted by any expert.

So 0 for 2. I have a short attention span and am moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by blUDAYvil View Post
    Predictive power of 24/7 = 0.
    Not only that, I think it has to potential to do more harm than good. As I emailed some friends earlier today:

I just worry that the 24/7 prediction tracking (which I'm sure the kids are aware of) could unconsciously bias someone into going against the grain when all of the predictions lean one way and the kid has two schools in equipoise. "Oh, 100 percent of you have thought for months that I'm going to Duke? Well, surprise!" You may say that this isn't very likely or that we wouldn't want a kid who lets that kind of stuff influence them, but (a) people make decisions in weird ways sometimes, (b) it only takes this happening once to have a significant impact on a program, and (c) they're just kids, and kids can be contrary.

If it were up to me, we wouldn't have stuff like 24/7.

So Looney ends up with a school that none of the 24/7 tracked predictions named in advance. Who's to say that he wasn't swayed in part by a desire to do something different than what all the experts were predicting?

Best of luck to the young man, I hope he has a long and fruitful career.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Looks like that crystal ball ain't so crystal clear.
    Oh my God, it's a mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    So now with both Okonoboh and Looney in the books, the 24/7 CB is not impressing.
    I disagree. I'm impressed. The 24/7 Crystal Ball has very elaborately demonstrated the adage that Nobody Knows Anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Not only that, I think it has to potential to do more harm than good.
    Who does the 24/7 system harm? If the kid wants to surprise everyone for the sake of it, his prerogative! There's no way of preventing people from trying to guess where these kids are going to end up, so no way to do away with stuff like 24/7.

In a way 24/7 is a lot like consensus stock ratings. It's interesting to see how many/which analysts are rating specific stocks as buys/holds/sells. But one shouldn't rely on this to determine whether to actually buy/hold/sell (despite the fact that these analysts need to demonstrate that they know what they're talking about unlike 24/7 "insiders").

In a way 24/7 is a lot like consensus stock ratings.
    The difference is with stocks it's not one 18-year-old kid who entirely determines which way the stock will go in real life.

Who does the 24/7 system harm? If the kid wants to surprise everyone for the sake of it, his prerogative! There's no way of preventing people from trying to guess where these kids are going to end up, so no way to do away with stuff like 24/7.

In a way 24/7 is a lot like consensus stock ratings. It's interesting to see how many/which analysts are rating specific stocks as buys/holds/sells. But one shouldn't rely on this to determine whether to actually buy/hold/sell (despite the fact that these analysts need to demonstrate that they know what they're talking about unlike 24/7 "insiders").
    I agree but if my stock broker/analyst kept going 0/34 I might reconsider whether I want to keep paying him for his expert advise. I believe 247 is a pay site, or they want you to pay to access their forum posts/articles with all their "expert" incite into these recruiting battles.

I said it more succinctly in the other thread. The 24/7 system has the potential to change outcomes by attempting to predict them, and as the fan of a school that was the 100 percent leader in the Looney sweepstakes until the last day or so simply because most analysts apparently picked Duke as their choice for lack of concrete information, I don't want a recruit being swayed AGAINST picking the consensus leader on 24/7 because they want to surprise people. We've seen two recruitments now where the recruit ends up with an out-of-the-blue choice -- the only schools that are benefitted by that are the perceived dark horses, and Duke isn't usually a perceived dark horse when it's made a sustained push with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I believe 247 is a pay site, or they want you to pay to access their forum posts/articles with all their "expert" incite into these recruiting battles.
    Yeah, "incite" might actually be the right word here, if the mob lining up outside 247 right now is any indication...

Based on how well they did predicting Looney's landing place, should we be happy or upset that since Looney decided for UCLA, 6 "experts" have switched their predictions on Reid Travis to Duke