Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gone IN 54 Seconds

Much thanks to the DBR guys for posting the video of Duke coming back to beat the terps in 2000-01. I watched that game live, I was almost about to change the channel but something told me to take defeat like a man. Little did I know I would watch the most amazing come back I have ever seen in any sport. But I got to thinking about how long ago that was. Is it any wonder Maryland and their fans hate Duke so much? Is it any wonder they have tried their best to bash Duke and get fans of any other school to join in? I also thought about "the shot" and how it made Kentucky fans hate Duke so much. And when Laettner hit his other shot against UCONN it made the blue devils hated in that area too. We all hate UNC with good reason and they will always be our true rival. But given our record against Maryland the last few seasons I'm not sure I don't want our guys to beat the twerps as much as I do the heels. The last couple years we have had more tallent than MD over all, but have posted a losing record against them for no other reason than lack of intensity. Heres hoping this year in both MD games our boys come out and take them behind the woodshed!!!

Grieves Vasquez is a cocky good ball player from Venezuela and he plays for Maryland. One more reason why I hate the Terps.

yeah, loved watching that. My two roomates left to go see "Pitch Dark" with Vin Diesel with about 1:05 left. The look on their face when they got back and I told them we won was classic. One another thing that video reminds me of, Nate James is a badass, holy crap, he's HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Much thanks to the DBR guys for posting the video of Duke coming back to beat the terps in 2000-01. I watched that game live, I was almost about to change the channel but something told me to take defeat like a man. Little did I know I would watch the most amazing come back I have ever seen in any sport. But I got to thinking about how long ago that was. Is it any wonder Maryland and their fans hate Duke so much? ...Heres hoping this year in both MD games our boys come out and take them behind the woodshed!!!
    I'm assuming you are referring to the regular season game (I didn't find the video link you wrote about).

That reminds we came back from behind to beat MD twice that year: regular season in the last minute, God I loved that game, and in the NCAA semi-finals, when we were down by 22. I guess if I were a MD fan I'd hate Duke. Thank God I'm not though.

My parents live in MD and when I was visiting one time I saw a bumper sticker for the twerps that read "hell in a shell." I really wanted to leave a note on the car in Duke blue that read "who rules hell?", but my mother wouldn't let me.

I know he wore the wrong color blue, but watching this also makes me realize how much I miss Brad Daugherty as an announcer. The crew working that game is so refreshing compared to Dick "I've become a caricature of myself" Vitale, Billy "I think I'm god" Packer, or Bill "If I hear him say just a kiss off the glass one more time I'm going to poke out my eardrums" Rafferty.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    That reminds we came back from behind to beat MD twice that year: regular season in the last minute, God I loved that game, and in the NCAA semi-finals, when we were down by 22. I guess if I were a MD fan I'd hate Duke. Thank God I'm not though.
    We actually played Maryland four times that year, and all were memorable games. There was the comeback in Cole and the even bigger comeback in the Final Four, which you mentioned. We also played them in the ACC Tournament semifinals, which was an amazing game in its own right. Maryland jumped out to a 10-0 lead, but Duke game back and built a double-digit lead in the second half. Then it was Maryland's turn to rally -- they came back and tied the game on a three-pointer by Steve Blake with 8.2 seconds left. Duke pushed the ball up the floor and Jason Williams drove to the basket -- his floater bounced off the rim, but Nate James was there to tip the ball in with 1.3 seconds left. If I recall correctly, Juan Dixon had a last-second desperation heave from halfcourt that came frighteningly close to going in.

The one game Duke lost to Maryland that year was, ironically, the one in Cameron. Duke led early in the second half, but Maryland turned up the defense and steadily chipped away. Then Carlos Boozer broke his foot with about 10 minutes remaining, and Maryland took the lead for good a few minutes later and held on for a 91-80 win.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    The one game Duke lost to Maryland that year was, ironically, the one in Cameron. Duke led early in the second half, but Maryland turned up the defense and steadily chipped away. Then Carlos Boozer broke his foot with about 10 minutes remaining, and Maryland took the lead for good a few minutes later and held on for a 91-80 win.
    IIRC, another strange thing about all those games was that I think the team leading at halftime lost every game. I seem to remember the announcer of the final four game mentioning this at half-time and making some joke comment about Duke clearly has the terps right where they want them. Those were two very good teams, obviously, as they followed up our NC with their own the next year...but he's still the OTHER williams, to me.

SWEAT GARY SWEAT! (Throaty, can we make this 9F-1 or something??)

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I know he wore the wrong color blue, but watching this also makes me realize how much I miss Brad Daugherty as an announcer.
    I may be wrong, but I thought that was Len Elmore. I can't watch right now (YouTube blocked at work).
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBill View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought that was Len Elmore. I can't watch right now (YouTube blocked at work).
    No - it was definitely Daugherty, not Elmore.

it was more like gone in 7+ minutes

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    it was more like gone in 7+ minutes
    Whatever the time length...it's gone baby!

Actually I look at it as being taken!

Wonderful night

I had just got back from eating out to watch the comeback start...I was in 2nd grade, and it was the day I became a Duke fan. I'll always remember Jay Williams stealing the ball and knocking down that three right in front of his bench. Great times.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    I had just got back from eating out to watch the comeback start...I was in 2nd grade, and it was the day I became a Duke fan. I'll always remember Jay Williams stealing the ball and knocking down that three right in front of his bench. Great times.
    Speaking as someone who was a Duke senior at the time of the game, I have a hard time fathoming that anyone was in 2nd grade at that time. Man, I feel old...

Can anyone confirm the story that the timeout with 1:01 (I believe) left was spent silently listening to the crowd chant "overrated" followed by Jason Williams telling a Maryland player that the game was about to be an ESPN instant classic? Or is this all just urban legend.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    Can anyone confirm the story that the timeout with 1:01 (I believe) left was spent silently listening to the crowd chant "overrated" followed by Jason Williams telling a Maryland player that the game was about to be an ESPN instant classic? Or is this all just urban legend.
    I don't know about the ESPN classic comment, but I do recall Jason saying that all he heard was "overrated" and that he just wanted to shut them up.

My wife rarely stays up for late games, as she is not a night person (10:30 for her is late). My dad came over for dinner and to watch the game. For whatever reason, she decided to stay awake until my dad left and ended up watching the whole game. She was so beside herself when we made the comeback that she now never goes to bed for late games if it's a close or we're losing out of fear that she will miss a classic.

One other thought: I was too young to remember, but have seen clips of UNC/Duke and the 8 point comback in 16 seconds (more like 24+, but who's counting Anyway, I didn't notice it at first, but after watching the tape, we basically shaved off 8 points in 13-14 seconds. The tying points took longer, but, still... 8 points in less than the storied UNC comeback.

Near Fallout from that game ...

I was watching the game with my brother and his wife at their house (Duke '96 & 97) while she was about 6 months pregnant. The three of us went crazy obviously multiple times during that minute + OT. All was right with the world ... until she started having early contractions and rushed to the hospital to make sure that a future Duke grad was not born that night. Thankfully she did not. My brother created a no Duke game rule for her for the rest of the pregnancy. She might have cheated during the NCAA tournament.

I remember calling my cousin (an overly, sickly obsessed Duke fan like myself) right after Jason had drilled the corner three-ball after the inbounds steal, and yelling "This is better than cocaine!" My family, who had been watching the game alongside me, just looked blankly as I was sprawled out on the floor holding my cell phone up in victory, almost having a seizure (I have never used the substance in my entire life).

It was a priceless moment. One of those rare moments in sports where you thought Jesus our Savior had returned, the trumpet call in all.

What a night

Quote Originally Posted by g4orce View Post
    ...but, still... 8 points in less than the storied UNC comeback.
    One difference is that the UNC comeback was in the pre-3 point era.

I love the looks on the faces of the UMD students in the stands...

I don't remember why any longer, but I didn't see this game live. I taped it and watched it when I got home. I had gotten a score update at the half, and wasn;t sure I'd wnat to subject myself to watching the game, until I noticed that a friend emailed me to say "you won't like the first 39 minutes..."

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    One difference is that the UNC comeback was in the pre-3 point era.

I love the looks on the faces of the UMD students in the stands...

I don't remember why any longer, but I didn't see this game live. I taped it and watched it when I got home. I had gotten a score update at the half, and wasn;t sure I'd wnat to subject myself to watching the game, until I noticed that a friend emailed me to say "you won't like the first 39 minutes..."
    Good point. I was getting ready to say Duke did the same thing (8 pts in 16 secs) in the 102-100 double OT loss in 95 to UNC, but as you mentioned Duke had the benefit of the three pointer.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    In Coach K's book "Five-Point Play", he and Donald Phillips describe the situation a little differently.

First of all, Nate James is quoted - "After I made that three-pointer with about a minute left, we went to the bench and I told Mike Dunleavy, 'Hey, this is going to be on Classic Sports every night. We're going to come back and we're going to win. Everybody's going to be talking about this game forever." Nate's 3 was made with 1:05 on the clock and it cut the lead to 9.

The book goes on to describe the "overrated" bit, too:

"After Maryland made one of two free throws to take a 10-point lead with 1:00 left on the clock, the fans in Cole Field House began chanting, 'Overrated! Overrated! Overrated!' ... Althea Williams (Jason's mom): 'As soon as I heard that cheer, I thought to myself, 'Uh oh. Jason hates that cheer. Maryland's in trouble now.' "

After the win and the team had come back to the locker room, Coach K asked Jason what had gotten into him, and Jason replied, "Coach, I hate that cheer!"
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”